Lady Vol SEC Opponents Released

The Lady Vols will be challenged this year... For anyone saying they wanted to see the Lady Vols play SC twice well you got your wish :). Also playing Vandy and A&M home and away.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/062717aaa.html

Should be interesting. Both teams lost a lot of key players from last year's teams, but have enough star power returning plus some promising newcomers.

I'm curious to see how good TAMU is next year. They had a good starting five, but lack of bench killed them. I know they have a highly rated PG to replace Knox, but not sure if they have enough reinforcement to be a serious contender in the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
Should be interesting. Both teams lost a lot of key players from last year's teams, but have enough star power returning plus some promising newcomers.

I'm curious to see how good TAMU is next year. They had a good starting five, but lack of bench killed them. I know they have a highly rated PG to replace Knox, but not sure if they have enough reinforcement to be a serious contender in the SEC.

True. Didn't they lose there post ? Or was she a junior? I know the Ariel Howard girl was a beast rebounder but I thought I read something she was thinking about focusing on track and field where she is an excellent athlete as well. Speaking of that remember the girl UT was recruiting with Russell and Reynolds but she chose Louisville ? I know she focused on track and field but I wonder if she went back to bball? Emmonie Henderson I think it was ... that was random but just thought about it.

I'm also interested to see how the TN girls do at KY and how Vandy matures. Also Mizzu gets some key players back. Also interested to see how SC permiter games does? Going to be interesting for sure. Then you have dark horses like Auburn and GA. MS St. they lost two glue players and their center steps into a starting role.

True. Didn't they lose there post ? Or was she a junior? I know the Ariel Howard girl was a beast rebounder but I thought I read something she was thinking about focusing on track and field where she is an excellent athlete as well. Speaking of that remember the girl UT was recruiting with Russell and Reynolds but she chose Louisville ? I know she focused on track and field but I wonder if she went back to bball? Emmonie Henderson I think it was ... that was random but just thought about it.

I'm also interested to see how the TN girls do at KY and how Vandy matures. Also Mizzu gets some key players back. Also interested to see how SC permiter games does? Going to be interesting for sure. Then you have dark horses like Auburn and GA. MS St. they lost two glue players and their center steps into a starting role.

No, Hillsman will be a senior. She would have been even better last year if they had a backup for her. She had a lot of games where she went the distance and was sucking wind in the 4th Quarter. I hope Anriel doesn't quit. She was one of my favorite Players to watch last year. So explosive.

I think the TN girls will play a lot for UK out of sheer necessity. I expect around 10 ppg and a pretty atrocious FG%, but they will probably improve in the following years. I think Miss State will still be really good. They bring back their three most important players and have returning/incoming depth in the backcourt and some decent backup size in the post. I think SC will rely less on their perimeter game, but if Harris improves her outside shot, they will be even tougher.

No, Hillsman will be a senior. She would have been even better last year if they had a backup for her. She had a lot of games where she went the distance and was sucking wind in the 4th Quarter. I hope Anriel doesn't quit. She was one of my favorite Players to watch last year. So explosive.

I think the TN girls will play a lot for UK out of sheer necessity. I expect around 10 ppg and a pretty atrocious FG%, but they will probably improve in the following years. I think Miss State will still be really good. They bring back their three most important players and have returning/incoming depth in the backcourt and some decent backup size in the post. I think SC will rely less on their perimeter game, but if Harris improves her outside shot, they will be even tougher.

Agreed! I think her playing (Harris) with the USA 19 team will help her game elevate like it did the previous year :) While I wanted Evina to make that team the risk of injury always makes me nervous !

How do you think the Out of Conference schedule will look? Do you think it will look differently because of the players lost and being younger? Still Baylor , Texas, ND, and Stanford. I would def keep Texas and Stanford just so recruits can watch us play those schools and TX would be home. A trip to Palo Alto probably would be nice as well 😎 Maybe do like coach summit and play two Cali schools ( like when they played Stanford and UCLA although Caldwell was the coach).

Agreed! I think her playing (Harris) with the USA 19 team will help her game elevate like it did the previous year :) While I wanted Evina to make that team the risk of injury always makes me nervous !

How do you think the Out of Conference schedule will look? Do you think it will look differently because of the players lost and being younger? Still Baylor , Texas, ND, and Stanford. I would def keep Texas and Stanford just so recruits can watch us play those schools and TX would be home. A trip to Palo Alto probably would be nice as well 😎 Maybe do like coach summit and play two Cali schools ( like when they played Stanford and UCLA although Caldwell was the coach).

OOC will probably look similar to last year. Loaded with cupcakes, with a handful of landmines sprinkled in. ND, Texas and Stanford probably for sure. Maybe Baylor again if Kim is up for it.

You know something...I feel great about this situation...I've been watching vintage LV basketball on ESPNCL...we lost a few to Uconn, but our LVS played their defensive hearts out....I think this freshmen class will help to bring us back to yester years...they are defensive minded and [with tears in my eyes] it's time to roll...:clapping::popcorn::pepper::yahoo::yahoo::groupwave::3cheers:

Reactions: 2 people
OOC will probably look similar to last year. Loaded with cupcakes, with a handful of landmines sprinkled in. ND, Texas and Stanford probably for sure. Maybe Baylor again if Kim is up for it.

Kim will be because she still has talent, it is when she doesn't have a dominant team she shy away from playing teams

Correct. Also wouldn't it be a home game for Baylor?[/QUOTE

More than likely because we had the #1 class coming in along with Jamie and Nared (and the game probably has already been agreed upon prior to Diamond, Te'a, and Middleton leaving) so it would certainly be in Waco.

I'm still trying to process the "loaded with cupcakes" statement above. Apparently I slept through those games last year. Once upon a time those teams might have been cupcakes for once-upon-a-time Lady Vol teams. More recently we've made those cupcakes look as tough as barbed wire.

Last year was the SEC / BIG 12 challenge. So I don't know if we play them this year or not.

I had forgotten that. It wasn't a regular game, and Kim was very upset about having to play it...at least before the game she was😀. I wonder if one will be scheduled for this year. She might be more willing now that 3 players are gone, but then it might be too late now.

Sure hope those cupcakes taste differently this season.

I'm still trying to process the "loaded with cupcakes" statement above. Apparently I slept through those games last year. Once upon a time those teams might have been cupcakes for once-upon-a-time Lady Vol teams. More recently we've made those cupcakes look as tough as barbed wire.

James Madison, Navy, ETSU, Tennessee State, Appalachian State, Troy and UNC Wilmington are cupcakes, no matter how much Tennessee plays down to their level. And if they do struggle, that's 100% on them because there is no justification for lowly teams like this to be able to compete with Tennessee.

Penn State and Va Tech would be considered cupcakes by most any other Top 25 teams, even if they did beat Tennessee.

Baylor, ND, Texas and Stanford were their only Top 25 OOC opponents. Granted, the SEC schedule brought up their overall SOS, but I thought the OOC was much, much weaker than it has been in the past. Although they played a bunch of top 10 teams, there weren't really any 2nd tier teams in that portion of the schedule for a change.

Sure hope those cupcakes taste differently this season.

For the most part last season, the cupcakes were sweet, fluffy and satisfying. But there were 2 that were kind of rancid...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Can there be a real rivalry between SCar and Tennessee if the coaches genuinely like each other? I love the fact that Mulkey and Aston hate each other and that Staley and Mitchell hate each other and that sometimes everyone hates Geno (That's probably close to all the time, but I digress). Is some animosity between the players, coaches, & fans required to have a great rivalry?

IF, and I do say IF cautiously, there was a time for a new rivalry to start in WCBB and it were to include Tennessee I feel like this upcoming season and getting to play SCar a minimimum of twice could really be it. Based on what I've seen on both boards it seems as though the fans are getting there but I am not sure the coaches and players ever could. Partially because of recent events and partially because I beleive it when people say Holly & Dawn genuinely like each other.

Can there be a real rivalry between SCar and Tennessee if the coaches genuinely like each other? I love the fact that Mulkey and Aston hate each other and that Staley and Mitchell hate each other and that sometimes everyone hates Geno (That's probably close to all the time, but I digress). Is some animosity between the players, coaches, & fans required to have a great rivalry?

IF, and I do say IF cautiously, there was a time for a new rivalry to start in WCBB and it were to include Tennessee I feel like this upcoming season and getting to play SCar a minimimum of twice could really be it. Based on what I've seen on both boards it seems as though the fans are getting there but I am not sure the coaches and players ever could. Partially because of recent events and partially because I beleive it when people say Holly & Dawn genuinely like each other.

There could actually be a little animosity bubbling underneath the surface between Dawn and CHW. CHW interviewed for the job at SC. She felt she was the top pick to get it but as we know didn't.

There could actually be a little animosity bubbling underneath the surface between Dawn and CHW. CHW interviewed for the job at SC. She felt she was the top pick to get it but as we know didn't.

Was that the only SEC HC job Holly was considered for? I thought she had another one around 10 years ago that she turned down.

I don't think Holly has enough 'grit' (not sure if that is the right word) to have animosity towards another person. This isn't a bashing by any means, but I don't think CHW has it in her to go there. CHW to me has more nurturing in her. I don't think that's a bad thing. Former players have said CHW was the person they'd go to when they were in the dog house with CPS. CPS has also talked about how her coaching staff (CHW) would talk her down in situations with people/players.

There is 'pride' on the line, and I think CHW tries to coach that to the team, to put on the Tennessee jersey and give your all every game. But singling out someone/opponent as the 'enemy', I've never seen that from her, and we never will ... she's just too kind IMO.

I don't think Holly has enough 'grit' (not sure if that is the right word) to have animosity towards another person. This isn't a bashing by any means, but I don't think CHW has it in her to go there. CHW to me has more nurturing in her. I don't think that's a bad thing. Former players have said CHW was the person they'd go to when they were in the dog house with CPS. CPS has also talked about how her coaching staff (CHW) would talk her down in situations with people/players.

There is 'pride' on the line, and I think CHW tries to coach that to the team, to put on the Tennessee jersey and give your all every game. But singling out someone/opponent as the 'enemy', I've never seen that from her, and we never will ... she's just too kind IMO.

I don't pretend to know her in any way shape or form but that is the vibe I get from her as well. She seems very caring. As you said thats not a bad thing.

Reactions: 3 people
I would say the "hate" between uSC and UT is huge now on both sides. At least I hope so with the Lady Vols. They need a reason to kick some ass. uSC is still a jealous newbie to bigtime bb.

We should go 8 and 0 at home unless we can't beat Alabuma again. SC will be tough but we have to take the home game. on the road if we go 4 and 4 will be good with half the roster being freshmen. 12 and 4 should put us right in the hunt for the title . Of course we have to get by Alabuma, Auburn, and Ole Miss which might not be easy.:rolleyes:

I would say the "hate" between uSC and UT is huge now on both sides. At least I hope so with the Lady Vols. They need a reason to kick some ass. uSC is still a jealous newbie to bigtime bb.

I may go back and rewatch that game now and see if I could see that brewing. If so great, TN could finish Top 3 next year in the SEC... I would think certainly Top 5. 3 possible matchups in a season usually helps any budding rivalry.

Can there be a real rivalry between SCar and Tennessee if the coaches genuinely like each other? ... events and partially because I beleive it when people say Holly & Dawn genuinely like each other.

Guess you don't know that CViv and Pat were very close. Pat was CViv's rock during her husband's illness and death. And Pat is the one Kim turned to when she wondered if she was capable of coaching and having a baby/being a mother. Yes, good friends, avid competitors.

Never heard of HOH so have no idea what you are talking about there, but as to your VFL question, it's probably one of those things, if you have to ask, you won't understand.

Guess you don't know that CViv and Pat were very close. Pat was CViv's rock during her husband's illness and death. And Pat is the one Kim turned to when she wondered if she was capable of coaching and having a baby/being a mother. Yes, good friends, avid competitors.

Never heard of HOH so have no idea what you are talking about there, but as to your VFL question, it's probably one of those things, if you have to ask, you won't understand.

I was more thinking of fierce rivalries. No doubt both of them are competitors. I'm fairly young (still in my 20s) so I don't know all the great rivalries in the sport but were the teams that CViv coached (I can't remember the school she coached in the midwest but she's been at Rutgers since baby Jesus was still in the manger it seems) ever actually considered rivalries?

I don't recall a Baylor v Tennessee rivalry ever existing just because the teams weren't in their respective primes at the same. Also, Kim has an interesting way she schedules her OOC games.

HOH is the Huskies of Honor. You get your name in a banner on the wall if you become a WBCA All-American.

VN Store

Back