The Elephants in the room

mlindsay

Since the announcement of Diamond not returning people have bashed Holly and put it all on her for Alexa, Te'a, and Diamond leaving! The only person out of that the players have stated that they will miss judging from their twitters and other social media outlets is Jolette Law!

That says a lot if you ask me! They didn't bash Te'a or Middleton many wished them the best, but when it came to Diamond the current players as well as the incoming freshman parents all seemed to breathe a sigh of relief that she has finally made her decision (or the decision was made for her).

From the smiley face from Holly to Mercedes posting the same one to Hayes mom getting in on the action as well as many others like Michelle Vopel saying how bad it looks on Diamond part says a lot!

Has Holly made mistakes and looked clueless (yes) there are many factors that could have lead to that, now I feel it is truly her show and she doesn't have to attend with other folk trying to coach her team or players listening to others and not focusing on what she has asked them to do!

I have been critical of Holly but I have also seen strides! This offseason she has taken an approach that she probably should've taken a couple of seasons ago! It's better late than never imo and I am looking forward to this upcoming season because I truly believe it is going to be a special one! I see the hunger in the players more, i also see the chemistry and them being around each other more, they no longer seem divided!

Kortney Dunbar made a profound statement which summed it all up on her twitter page and I think we should all trust the process and see how this season plays out! I'm sure Holly knows that she will not get a renewed contract if we arent putting a better product on the floor!

The link below is what Dunbar tweeted last night!

https://twitter.com/kdxiii_/status/878474473833476096

Reactions: 7 people
Since the announcement of Diamond not returning people have bashed Holly and put it all on her for Alexa, Te'a, and Diamond leaving! The only person out of that the players have stated that they will miss judging from their twitters and other social media outlets is Jolette Law!

That says a lot if you ask me! They didn't bash Te'a or Middleton many wished them the best, but when it came to Diamond the current players as well as the incoming freshman parents all seemed to breathe a sigh of relief that she has finally made her decision (or the decision was made for her).

From the smiley face from Holly to Mercedes posting the same one to Hayes mom getting in on the action as well as many others like Michelle Vopel saying how bad it looks on Diamond part says a lot!

Has Holly made mistakes and looked clueless (yes) there are many factors that could have lead to that, now I feel it is truly her show and she doesn't have to attend with other folk trying to coach her team or players listening to others and not focusing on what she has asked them to do!

I have been critical of Holly but I have also seen strides! This offseason she has taken an approach that she probably should've taken a couple of seasons ago! It's better late than never imo and I am looking forward to this upcoming season because I truly believe it is going to be a special one! I see the hunger in the players more, i also see the chemistry and them being around each other more, they no longer seem divided!

Kortney Dunbar made a profound statement which summed it all up on her twitter page and I think we should all trust the process and see how this season plays out! I'm sure Holly knows that she will not get a renewed contract if we arent putting a better product on the floor!

That is why this is Holly's year to put up or shut up. Still a lot of talent on this team and they have to show it on the court.
If there were problems with the team and these players were causing them she should have sent them packing earlier not let them linger.
Your right they are gone now Holly supposedly has a team that will give 100 percent and beat Alabama, Ole Miss, Penn State, Auburn, and Va. Tech. I want her to succeed but she hasn't given me any clue that she can. That has to happen this coming season or Holly should be gone no reason to keep us this trend if she can't win with All American players against teams with three star players.

Reactions: 2 people
That is why this is Holly's year to put up or shut up. Still a lot of talent on this team and they have to show it on the court.
If there were problems with the team and these players were causing them she should have sent them packing earlier not let them linger.
Your right they are gone now Holly supposedly has a team that will give 100 percent and beat Alabama, Ole Miss, Penn State, Auburn, and Va. Tech. I want her to succeed but she hasn't given me any clue that she can. That has to happen this coming season or Holly should be gone no reason to keep us this trend if she can't win with All American players against teams with three star players.

And I agree with you and many of us have said this is a make or break year for her and she knows that which is why I believe she began cleaning house!

I like Dunbar and hope she is injury free and be given a chance to contribute early in games!

Holly really needs to give Dunbar more time to see if she can be successful. She never seemed to get enough time to get in a rhythm last season I hope we give her a little more opportunity her senior season.

Reactions: 3 people

I agree.

And I agree with you and many of us have said this is a make or break year for her and she knows that which is why I believe she began cleaning house!

Holly may or may not be cleaning house, but in the end, I think it's best for all concerned. Imagine going to work every day knowing despite your best efforts, there's one or two who can block or undo everything you're trying to get across during practice. Imagine a new class of talent coming in that might be "spoiled" by a cancer on the team. I'm not condemning DD or any other player transferring, but there were concerns and rumblings when DD left. Several posts about UNC teammates being relieved she left. If Holly cleaned house as you say, I tip my cap to her. She gave it a try, but the old saying about doing the same things over and over while expecting different results comes to mind. She's got some serious talent coming in. No reason for either party to keep pounding their heads against a wall. Better for both to restart the clock elsewhere. Holly really had no choice. She has a pivotal year ahead. Most likely a make or break. Frankly, this is the first time over the last few years that I've actually thought the program might be headed in the right direction. Yes, DD leaving has actually given me hope for the upcoming season.

Reactions: 4 people

Listen, I am not unhappy to lose DD or Cooper. The two of them had bad attitudes. DeShields's attitude and on-court body language and pouting two seasons ago was a disgrace. She not only acted terribly--not a team player, no leadership, prima donna--but she played terribly too--and this from one of the most talented players in the country. There was no excuse for it. Last year her play improved and her attitude improved--but not enough. She still didn't show any leadership. DeShields is all about herself--that is very apparent. I'm sure she was hard to coach--and it probably got harder because the Vols did not play well two years ago or last year and lost a lot of games. Losing can exacerbate bad attitudes and team divisions. At the same time, I think if Warlick were a strong, successful coach, DD probably would have dropped much of her me-first BS. Cooper, too. Players pick up on the personalities of their coaches--you'd better believe it---and I think there was a lack of respect for Warlick among some players. I'm not blaming Warlick for their attitude problems, but I am saying that players respond to coaches in different ways--and some players did not respect to Warlick because she is a players' coach--and that has not worked and will not work. You think PS and Geno were players' coaches? Not in the least. Whatever Warlick did to mitigate player divisions did not work. She should have read the riot act to DD and Cooper from the get-go, from the minute she saw issues. I doubt that happened. And let's not forget the recruiting debacle of three years ago: problems developed between Warlick and Elzy. The program has been a leaky ship since Warlick took over.

As for this season, you say you have "seen strides." Really? What sort of strides? What new offseason approach are you referring to? Coaches always do different things in the off-season, and Warlick is always optimistic about the team and the players--and then we start playing basketball and the same problems are apparent. Getting rid of a couple of bad apples should help promote personal chemistry and team spirit, I agree with that. Unfortunately, team spirit only takes you so far: you need talent, and we have lost a lot of talent--our best overall player, our best three-point shooter, and a skilled guard. The diehards who think the freshmen are suddenly going to make us a great team are naive, as usual. Unless Warlick can put together another strong recruiting class this year--and it's not looking so promising anymore--the basketball performance problems will continue. The team attitude may be improved, and that's a nice thing, but you need more than that to win games. My own feeling, which I've articulated often, is that we need a new head coach, and immediately. Some head coaches have it and some don't.

Reactions: 6 people

"clean house"? I thought she very much wanted Cooper to stay, and that her departure was a result of university disciplinary moves? I doubt she "cleaned house" with Middleton either. I'm sure Middleton's decision was her own. She probably left because Warlick did NOT clean house. There were problems on the team and they were not handled strongly, and they festered. That may have been partly why Middleton left--that and not playing more. I suspect DD got in one of her pouty, me-first moves after Cooper left and decided to leave herself, but that is only speculation. And let's not forget that the recruiting debacle of three years ago--problems with Elzy--made the situation worse. If you've got players with bad attitudes or who are playing badly, you bench them or find ways to push them out the door. Warlick couldn't do that---if she wanted to--because we had no players after a year in which we signed nobody but a transfer who played one year and another player who will never play. The problems have been MANY.

No no no, it's not on Holly, it's on me, Rubbish! How can ppl who call them selves parent actually raise a child when they don't know how to tell them the truth or what they do wrong? If it's take one that many years to understand that u can't coach, help save the program it's a problem & not my problem. Some fans are so much in love with vols and can't see the problem untill this skol end up with 10 fans.

Good post. I appreciate the insight. You point out the negatives as you see them, but in an objective way, and the positives as well.

Based on what you've said I guess you don't believe any of this will cause Westbrook to get cold feet and not show up?

I don't spend time on Twitter or any of the other social media sites, so can you please provide some details of what these freshmen parents are saying?

It's very interesting and impressive to me that KD would be so positive given her lack of pt and the way her mother has handled that in the past.

Now that Diamond is reportedly leaving, wonder how many of those others that have said they are leaving would now like to reconsider. I have wondered (and stated before) if Diamond might not be the real fly in the ointment all along.

Reactions: 1 person
Good post. I appreciate the insight. You point out the negatives as you see them, but in an objective way, and the positives as well.

Based on what you've said I guess you don't believe any of this will cause Westbrook to get cold feet and not show up?

I don't spend time on Twitter or any of the other social media sites, so can you please provide some details of what these freshmen parents are saying?

It's very interesting and impressive to me that KD would be so positive given her lack of pt and the way her mother has handled that in the past.

Westbrook will be here, she is not getting cold feet, this is the perfect opportunity because the playing time is there and the chance to start as a freshman is there and of the schools that were in her final 5 the only other place that would offer that opportunity is Maryland (and thats only because Slocum left) this freshman class as well as their parents have formed a bond sinced it was formed! They have spent time together at the McDonald's All American Game as well as the Jordan game! They see the negativity but they all have the goal that Diamond proclaimed to have and that was to be the class or young lady to bring the Lady Vols their next title! They know that if they were to do that they would be legends!

Reactions: 1 person
No no no, it's not on Holly, it's on me, Rubbish! How can ppl who call them selves parent actually raise a child when they don't know how to tell them the truth or what they do wrong? If it's take one that many years to understand that u can't coach, help save the program it's a problem & not my problem. Some fans are so much in love with vols and can't see the problem untill this skol end up with 10 fans.

Please shut up! I don't even like saying that but you always have something stupid to say... SHUT UP!

Westbrook will be here, she is not getting cold feet, this is the perfect opportunity because the playing time is there and the chance to start as a freshman is there and of the schools that were in her final 5 the only other place that would offer that opportunity is Maryland (and thats only because Slocum left) this freshman class as well as their parents have formed a bond sinced it was formed! They have spent time together at the McDonald's All American Game as well as the Jordan game! They see the negativity but they all have the goal that Diamond proclaimed to have and that was to be the class or young lady to bring the Lady Vols their next title! They know that if they were to do that they would be legends!

Exactly if you look at Westbrook twitter she ended her Female Athlete of the year award saying she was a VOL! She embraces the challenge of getting this team back to where it should be and has since committing to this program! She seemingly could of went to OSU, MD, or ND who might not have the issues but she chose the Lady Vols! She is a competitor and others seem to like her! I also love Kortney's tweet! That was a check to all of those involved!

It's fascinating to see how the claws have come out for that despicable, toxic, prima donna Diamond Deshields, as well as her narcissistic, low class sidekick Te'a Cooper.

By my recollection, the only LV who has met/exceeded expectations as a player based on her HS credentials has been Izzy Harrison. There has been much criticism of the likes of Ariel Massengale, Cierra Burdick, Bashaara Graves, Alexa Middleton...even Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russell. None of them have lived up to their lofty billing playing for Holly. Pity that Holly has had such terrible luck with all of these overrated players. I look forward to after next season which of the players the ardent Holly supporters will blame. Will it be the soft Mercedes Russell? The lackadaisical Jaime Reynolds? Perhaps lazy Rennia Davis, out of shape Kasi K., out of control Annie, and overrated Evina...or will those daggers be saved for the following season? I'm waiting anxiously with bated breath.

I for one am very sad for Diamond leaving, but the truth is that based on the fans' reaction here, they weren't deserving of her.

"clean house"? I thought she very much wanted Cooper to stay, and that her departure was a result of university disciplinary moves? I doubt she "cleaned house" with Middleton either. I'm sure Middleton's decision was her own. She probably left because Warlick did NOT clean house. There were problems on the team and they were not handled strongly, and they festered. That may have been partly why Middleton left--that and not playing more. I suspect DD got in one of her pouty, me-first moves after Cooper left and decided to leave herself, but that is only speculation. And let's not forget that the recruiting debacle of three years ago--problems with Elzy--made the situation worse. If you've got players with bad attitudes or who are playing badly, you bench them or find ways to push them out the door. Warlick couldn't do that---if she wanted to--because we had no players after a year in which we signed nobody but a transfer who played one year and another player who will never play. The problems have been MANY.
I'm wondering if Holly has difficulty choosing players that have the right type of personality to be successful in a team sport. Her easy going nature is ripe for attracting players who feel they can manipulate to get their way. That she never seemed to be able to handle DD, Cooper and even going back to Simmons is troublesome.

I'm anxious to see if that trend continues with the new players or if it just a string of bad luck.

It's fascinating to see how the claws have come out for that despicable, toxic, prima donna Diamond Deshields, as well as her narcissistic, low class sidekick Te'a Cooper.

By my recollection, the only LV who has met/exceeded expectations as a player based on her HS credentials has been Izzy Harrison. There has been much criticism of the likes of Ariel Massengale, Cierra Burdick, Bashaara Graves, Alexa Middleton...even Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russell. None of them have lived up to their lofty billing playing for Holly. Pity that Holly has had such terrible luck with all of these overrated players. I look forward to after next season which of the players the ardent Holly supporters will blame. Will it be the soft Mercedes Russell? The lackadaisical Jaime Reynolds? Perhaps lazy Rennia Davis, out of shape Kasi K., out of control Annie, and overrated Evina...or will those daggers be saved for the following season? I'm waiting anxiously with bated breath.

I for one am very sad for Diamond leaving, but the truth is that based on the fans' reaction here, they weren't deserving of her.

You're not the only one sad but what do you want folk to do have a memorial service, she's no longer here, we must move on, if you want to chase after her and Te'a and Alexa, and Jolette go ahead! I want those who want to be here and give it everything they have! 1 monkey don't stop no show (I am not calling her a monkey to clarify since many are insensitive around here)!

You know what they say... opinions are like butt holes and everybody has one. They also usually stink lol

You're not the only one sad but what do you want folk to do have a memorial service, she's no longer here, we must move on, if you want to chase after her and Te'a and Alexa, and Jolette go ahead! I want those who want to be here and give it everything they have! 1 monkey don't stop no show (I am not calling her a monkey to clarify since many are insensitive around here)!

My granddad used to say that... it's funny to hear it again ! Lol

I'm wondering if Holly has difficulty choosing players that have the right type of personality to be successful in a team sport. Her easy going nature is ripe for attracting players who feel they can manipulate to get their way. That she never seemed to be able to handle DD, Cooper and even going back to Simmons is troublesome.

I'm anxious to see if that trend continues with the new players or if it just a string of bad luck.

Well, it's been the case with about 20 players or so who she has coached, so I'd be willing to bet my lunch money that it will continue as long as she is the coach.

Reactions: 3 people
You know what they say... opinions are like butt holes and everybody has one. They also usually stink lol

The problem is the ones who b!tch about other's butt holes stinking are usually the foulest ones in the room. But please do carry on.

I'm fully aware that she's gone and not coming back. I just find it a bit unfortunate with how our fan base is reacting by trashing the character of Diamond and Te'a, and dismissing what Alexa brought to the team. All this b!tching about criticism of Holly scaring off the recruits, but at the same time showing these same recruits how quickly the fan base will turn on them.

The problem is the ones who b!tch about other's butt holes stinking are usually the foulest ones in the room. But please do carry on.

I will but thanks for your permission 😆 And if your butt stinks wash it! I'm sure one of the posters will help you out if need be. Or you can use one of the bathrooms in one of my houses I own! Anything to help another Lady Vol fan! #carryonandwashyoa$$

I will but thanks for your permission 😆 And if your butt stinks wash it! I'm sure one of the posters will help you out if need be. Or you can use one of the bathrooms in one of my houses I own! Anything to help another Lady Vol fan! #carryonandwashyoa$$

And a humblebrag? #soprecious

VN Store

Back