Would Pat fire Holly?

The Dog

Because I Can
Simple question. If Pat was still alive, not sick, just retired and was more or less the GM of the Lady Vols ....... Do u all think Pat would fire Holly ? And why or why not ?

Imo, yes she would fire Holly. No matter her loyalty to Holly, Pat was a perfectionist and wouldn't want the program she built from the ground up to slowly, but steadily, be destroyed. I'm sure, u guys are going to flame me for this thread. But, if u answer honestly, with your brain and not your heart ( like Pat would ), then it should be 100%, that Pat would fire Holly

Reactions: 9 people
Holly doesn't seem to be head coaching material. I think she reached her max as an Assistant and that is where she should have stayed. I don't think she can bring us back to glory hope I'm wrong. She does not have the toughness or skills to get it done.
If Pat was AD she would be fired as head coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Simple question. If Pat was still alive, not sick, just retired and was more or less the GM of the Lady Vols ....... Do u all think Pat would fire Holly ? And why or why not ?

Imo, yes she would fire Holly. No matter her loyalty to Holly, Pat was a perfectionist and wouldn't want the program she built from the ground up to slowly, but steadily, be destroyed. I'm sure, u guys are going to flame me for this thread. But, if u answer honestly, with your brain and not your heart ( like Pat would ), then it should be 100%, that Pat would fire Holly

If she wasnt sick she would have remained the HC

Reactions: 2 people
Yes. The Lady Vols have not been the Lady Vols in a long time. It's like Holly is trying to cook one of Pat's recipes in the kitchen, but keeps leaving out her best secret ingredients. Whatever she is doing different is not working, and the kitchen has been on fire. I doubt anyone can cook anything worth eating until it gets rebuilt.

Good question...fair question....as far as an answer, its all the stuff you listed vs Pat's renown for honoring loyalty...we all know about Pat's 'fire and brimstone' and her high expectations but she NEVER actually fired anyone I can think of...and look at all the 'suspect' personnel that was with the department that weren't dealt with until after her departure...but again...I don't have a clue

Yes. Pat would put the team and players first. She'd admit she made a mistake hiring Holly as head coach. She'd still love Holly but she'd do the right thing for the players.

No.

Pat would have resigned already, possibly to go coach at a different level where she could find physically less talented girls who still wanted to attain their team and individual potential. Championships were something Pat wanted to bring to Tennessee--but they were not Pat's personal measure of success.

Few outside of basketball knew Pat Summitt better than Sally Jenkins, and her conclusion is that in today's world of women's basketball, Pat would be fired.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...icle-sally-jenkins-coaching-difficulties.html

Standards don't change, but cultures and society do--and seldom for the better. Regretably, we're in a different world now.

Reactions: 5 people
No.

Pat would have resigned already, possibly to go coach at a different level where she could find physically less talented girls who still wanted to attain their team and individual potential. Championships were something Pat wanted to bring to Tennessee--but they were not Pat's personal measure of success.

Few outside of basketball knew Pat Summitt better than Sally Jenkins, and her conclusion is that in today's world of women's basketball, Pat would be fired.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...icle-sally-jenkins-coaching-difficulties.html

Standards don't change, but cultures and society do--and seldom for the better. Regretably, we're in a different world now.

We're in a different world? Run that excuse past Connecticut fans. They'll laugh.

Reactions: 3 people
If Pat were her boss then there would never be a need to fire her? I think she has been affected by her absence and responded well to Pat's leadership and learned from her.

Yes Pat is a winner and HOLLY IS A LOSER.

We're in a different world? Run that excuse past Connecticut fans. They'll laugh.

Actually, I think UConn's increased (comparative) success has come with their ability to attract the same number of coachable elites from a dwindling supply. That would account for the widened disparity between their play and other top-10 programs. Female access to development programs at younger ages around the country should have increased parity, but something attitudinal has negated that when it comes to building better teams.

At its peak, when there were 30-40 skilled, athletic, coachable, committed-to-excellence HS seniors available each year, each top 10 program could sign 2 or 3 quality players. But what if now there are only 8-10 such recruits available each year, and UConn is still signing 2-3 each year?

The assurance those girls have to know they won't be teammates with the princesses or headcases or social misfits they've encountered in AAU becomes its own recruiting tool.

Now I'm just tossing this out as a theory. It seems logical, but I'll leave it to someone who really knows the NCAAW recruiting scene to either confirm or correct if that's the case.

How many jobs was Holly up for but didn't, get although Pat gave her blessing. Nobody else wanted her as a head coach.

Imo, yes she would fire Holly. No matter her loyalty to Holly, Pat was a perfectionist and wouldn't want the program she built from the ground up to slowly, but steadily, be destroyed. I'm sure, u guys are going to flame me for this thread. But, if u answer honestly, with your brain and not your heart ( like Pat would ), then it should be 100%, that Pat would fire

Yes, without her making it this far!

I'm for the truth, I'm not a blind fan.

Holly doesn't seem to be head coaching material. I think she reached her max as an Assistant and that is where she should have stayed. I don't think she can bring us back to glory hope I'm wrong. She does not have the toughness or skills to get it done.
If Pat was AD she would be fired as head coach.

How many years? I don't think there's any professional sports that can allow a head coach to stay this long, every yr same story. 2 steps forward, 5 backward.

I think if Pat had retired in good health and became AD, she would not fire Holly before she tried to help her right the ship. If Holly was not able to right the ship, I think, regrettable, Pat would give Holly the choice of resigning or she would have to let her go.

How many jobs was Holly up for but didn't, get although Pat gave her blessing. Nobody else wanted her as a head coach.

Ooh. And the truth finally peeks out of its fearful little hole. After how many years now?

Thanks Rob.

Bump. Yes, she would and if u don't think she would, then u are lying to yourself

No. She wouldn't fire her. She would put her in a role that used her strengths and benefited from her temperament. Holly is a nurturer, a coddler, a smoother of ruffled feathers and a mender of hurt feelings. Being critical, tough and demanding isn't her nature. She and Pat were yin and yang, because they brought different things to the table. The LVs needed both and they benefited from both.

Now Holly is playing her role but no one is filling Pat's. You can't make someone what they're not. The LVs could restructure the staff and reallocate responsibilities. Hiring someone with a skillset and temperament more like Pat's as an assistant HC would restore the balance and address the team's weaknesses. While not ideal, it's practical solution to a difficult problem. Transitioning in a new direction would temper the negativity and give Holly a soft landing, which is what Fulmer, former players and Pat would want.

No. She wouldn't fire her. She would put her in a role that used her strengths and benefited from her temperament. Holly is a nurturer, a coddler, a smoother of ruffled feathers and a mender of hurt feelings. Being critical, tough and demanding isn't her nature. She and Pat were yin and yang, because they brought different things to the table. The LVs needed both and they benefited from both.

Now Holly is playing her role but no one is filling Pat's. You can't make someone what they're not. The LVs could restructure the staff and reallocate responsibilities. Hiring someone with a skillset and temperament more like Pat's as an assistant HC would restore the balance and address the team's weaknesses. While not ideal, it's practical solution to a difficult problem. Transitioning in a new direction would temper the negativity and give Holly a soft landing, which is what Fulmer, former players and Pat would want.

" Holly is a nurturer, a coddler, a smoother of ruffled feathers and a mender of hurt feelings. Being critical, tough and demanding isn't her nature. She and Pat were yin and yang, because they brought different things to the table. The LVs needed both and they benefited from both."

Well said, I wonder who is Geno's "Holly".

Pat would re-assign her....just like Phil should.....CHW should have a just with UTAD for as long as she wants....just not as Head Coach of the LV.....

VN Store

Back