OK let's settle down and ask questions

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
DD is gone

Alexa is gone

Te'a is gone

who else ?

CHW needs a new coach

can CHW pull in a juco or graduate player this year ?

stop the bickering and let's find out

I think the question will be who is the new coach and can they recruit

what do ya'll think ? add questions

Reactions: 7 people
Former Lady Vol Bridgette Gordon interested in UT coaching job

dd is gone

alexa is gone

te'a is gone

who else ?

Chw needs to leave as well!

can chw pull in a juco or graduate player this year ?

Stop the bickering and let's find out

i think the question will be who is the new coach and can they recruit

what do ya'll think ? Add questions

fyp

Reactions: 2 people
is that a good thing ?

Gordon, 50, spent the past seven years at Wichita State on the staff of coach Jody Adams-Birch, another former Lady Vol.

Gordon was the Shockers' recruiting coordinator for five years. She recruited guard Alex Harden, who became a WNBA draft pick in 2015. The Shockers' 2012-13 recruiting class was ranked No. 47 by Blue Star, the highest such ranking in school history.

Before Wichita State, Gordon was an assistant at Georgia State and Stetson.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...-gordon-interested-ut-coaching-job/419731001/

Did Warlick post a tweet on DD's departure? Anybody see it? There is a KNS story online about the tweet and HW deleting her account but I've exceeded my free-read limit and can't access the piece.

She posted a smiley face and then deleted her account. There's a whole discussion about it in another "DD leaving" thread.

When DD decided to leave UNC, there were rumblings on the internet that she was a problem child. Difficult to manage and more individual than team oriented. Just takes "one" in the locker room to make things difficult. It's why I just don't get excited about transfers and JUCO players. They usually have issues/baggage and it's something of a 50/50 deal that it works out. I don't know what to expect from this team next year and certainly don't know if this will open things up for the roster and more importantly, Holly to relax and take a big step forward, but when you have chemistry issues on any roster but especially one as small as a basketball roster, it's extremely hard to succeed. UT may tank this year, but at least things are changing. Maybe Holly needs to adjust her recruiting along the lines Barnes has taken? Skip the 5 star prima donnas and go get kids who love the game, work hard and respond to coaching with a "team first" attitude? Will the LV nation be patient with an approach like that? Should be a very interesting season to watch. Make or break is a cliche, but I think it fits Holly's 2017 season to a...forgive me...T.

Reactions: 5 people
When DD decided to leave UNC, there were rumblings on the internet that she was a problem child. Difficult to manage and more individual than team oriented. Just takes "one" in the locker room to make things difficult. It's why I just don't get excited about transfers and JUCO players. They usually have issues/baggage and it's something of a 50/50 deal that it works out. I don't know what to expect from this team next year and certainly don't know if this will open things up for the roster and more importantly, Holly to relax and take a big step forward, but when you have chemistry issues on any roster but especially one as small as a basketball roster, it's extremely hard to succeed. UT may tank this year, but at least things are changing. Maybe Holly needs to adjust her recruiting along the lines Barnes has taken? Skip the 5 star prima donnas and go get kids who love the game, work hard and respond to coaching with a "team first" attitude? Will the LV nation be patient with an approach like that? Should be a very interesting season to watch. Make or break is a cliche, but I think it fits Holly's 2017 season to a...forgive me...T.

I think she took that approach with the 2017 class, they just happen to be high ranked too.

Holly has deleted her twit account... Wonder why?? Or wonder at who's request or order.
Wonder what else may be coming for her to do.

First of all, thank you gov'tmule for getting out front and saying this is the time to ask questions--not presume things we don't really know. I think the questions most pertinent to the future of Lady Vol basketball are about the changing world outside of Knoxville.

CAVPUT lays out the terrain well. I'd add a link to http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...icle-sally-jenkins-coaching-difficulties.html for the article on how society and the pool of recruits has changed since Pat's/our glory days. Among today's female basketball 4- & 5-stars, "problem child" may be the median rather than the extreme.

Holly understood better than anyone the "secrets" of Pat's successes. Holly was also the one who provided the buffer between Pat's demands and overwhelmed players. She translated Pat to players, explained and personalized those demands for excellence, and soothed the feelings and egos of good players being challenged to become great.

If anyone was able to be the bridge between Pat's proven standards and today's many (but not all) self-esteemed yet character-hollow players, it would be Holly. But is this already a bridge too far? I'm convinced that U Conn's dominant years were more attributable to their ability to attract the ever-fewer coachable elites, leaving other teams to compete for the brilliant-but-problematic, or coachable-but-less-athletic players. Reputation will allow you to do that--for awhile, as Pat's latter years attest.

Here's another question: has South Carolina or Mississippi State actually built a program? Have they established a consistent team brand? Or have they merely accepted and committed to the modern task of juggling players and egos while trying to catch lightning in a bottle for a full season? And if so, at what cost?

Something Holly also witnessed from her years with Pat was her comradery with Fulmer, and their shared challenge of getting beyond just being a top-10 team each year. I expect that Holly has had many conversations with Butch Jones, and has been watching how his efforts are going, building a modern program based on character, responsibility, and team-as-family... then trying to recruit better players based on that.

Is that something that can be achieved in women's basketball with today's pool of talent? Sally Jenkins concluded that in today's world, Pat Summitt would be fired after one season. John Currie soon needs to decide if current and next generation Lady Vol fans will support competitive, team-players they can be proud of in the long pursuit of occasional championships. Otherwise, the Athletic Dept's focus will shift to filling __# of $eat$ with a succession of Bruce Pearls and Layne Kiffins.

First of all, thank you gov'tmule for getting out front and saying this is the time to ask questions--not presume things we don't really know. I think the questions most pertinent to the future of Lady Vol basketball are about the changing world outside of Knoxville.

CAVPUT lays out the terrain well. I'd add a link to http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...icle-sally-jenkins-coaching-difficulties.html for the article on how society and the pool of recruits has changed since Pat's/our glory days. Among today's female basketball 4- & 5-stars, "problem child" may be the median rather than the extreme.

Holly understood better than anyone the "secrets" of Pat's successes. Holly was also the one who provided the buffer between Pat's demands and overwhelmed players. She translated Pat to players, explained and personalized those demands for excellence, and soothed the feelings and egos of good players being challenged to become great.

If anyone was able to be the bridge between Pat's proven standards and today's many (but not all) self-esteemed yet character-hollow players, it would be Holly. But is this already a bridge too far? I'm convinced that U Conn's dominant years were more attributable to their ability to attract the ever-fewer coachable elites, leaving other teams to compete for the brilliant-but-problematic, or coachable-but-less-athletic players. Reputation will allow you to do that--for awhile, as Pat's latter years attest.

Here's another question: has South Carolina or Mississippi State actually built a program? Have they established a consistent team brand? Or have they merely accepted and committed to the modern task of juggling players and egos while trying to catch lightning in a bottle for a full season? And if so, at what cost?

Something Holly also witnessed from her years with Pat was her comradery with Fulmer, and their shared challenge of getting beyond just being a top-10 team each year. I expect that Holly has had many conversations with Butch Jones, and has been watching how his efforts are going, building a modern program based on character, responsibility, and team-as-family... then trying to recruit better players based on that.

Is that something that can be achieved in women's basketball with today's pool of talent? Sally Jenkins concluded that in today's world, Pat Summitt would be fired after one season. John Currie soon needs to decide if current and next generation Lady Vol fans will support competitive, team-players they can be proud of in the long pursuit of occasional championships. Otherwise, the Athletic Dept's focus will shift to filling __# of $eat$ with a succession of Bruce Pearls and Layne Kiffins.

You hit on a very interesting point. The different hats worn by Pat and Holly during Pat's time. Pat was the alpha. She was the hammer, the one you did not cross. Holly was the middle man. She smoothed out what Pat turned upside down. That was Holly's persona and role. Now she's had to wear Pat's hat. Maybe that's not her personality? Maybe she's trying to fill both roles? There can be only one PHS, but has Holly found her coaching "personality"? I don't have any answers, but your post certainly gave me something to think about when you consider that potential struggle and combine it with how she'd do when faced with some of the prima donna/problem children almost every program has to deal with. Kinda makes sense of some of the things we've seen and Holly has put out in her press conferences after games.

DD seems to have a restless spirit. In her high school years, I was aware of her promise. When she went to NC it was obvious she was not satisfied, and I was concerned when she was welcomed at UT. She didn't seem "all in" during the year she had to sit out. Then, 2 years ago it seemed obvious when she was interviewed that her favorite word was "I." It continued, largely, last year, in interviews she gave.

I think her leaving will be a positive for the team, and, I hope, a positive for her. I think until she commits (if she ever does) to being A PART of a team, and not APART FROM the team, she will continue her restless searching. It will be interesting to watch as her after-college life unfolds, and to see if the pattern continues.

I hope our other veterans THROW themselves into the team ethos, and what they bring to the team and the game, without hesitation, instead of playing like they are trying to protect themselves.

I think being chosen to be a LV is one of the best things that can happen to a female basketball player, and those that are need to be totally committed to what that means! It's not punching a time clock!

Reactions: 13 people
DD seems to have a restless spirit. In her high school years, I was aware of her promise. When she went to NC it was obvious she was not satisfied, and I was concerned when she was welcomed at UT. She didn't seem "all in" during the year she had to sit out. Then, 2 years ago it seemed obvious when she was interviewed that her favorite word was "I." It continued, largely, last year, in interviews she gave.

I think her leaving will be a positive for the team, and, I hope, a positive for her. I think until she commits (if she ever does) to being A PART of a team, and not APART FROM the team, she will continue her restless searching. It will be interesting to watch as her after-college life unfolds, and to see if the pattern continues.

I hope our other veterans THROW themselves into the team ethos, and what they bring to the team and the game, without hesitation, instead of playing like they are trying to protect themselves.

I think being chosen to be a LV is one of the best things that can happen to a female basketball player, and those that are need to be totally committed to what that means! It's not punching a time clock!

Nailed it.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back