The Future of LV Basketball

Rickster

VFL
Okay, moving on from losing Tea, DD, and Alexia. There is nothing that can be done now regarding these three. Where does the program go from here? We have Mercedes, Jamie, KD, Meme, Kamera and Cheridene that have significant time in the program and Evina, Anastasia, Rennia and KK coming in. I personally am okay with losing talent for a net gain in team chemistry. I think it has been a lack of chemistry that has been the biggest detriment to the win/loss record. I am not convinced that a chemistry issue will be totally fixed with the departures but choose to be optimistic about the whole situation.

Reactions: 8 people
The best revenge is to move on, get over it, and continue to succeed. Never give someone the satisfaction of watching you suffer.

- unknown

Reactions: 1 person
One of the biggest determinants of our success this season will be the health of Cheridene Green. She's been a great player in the past, hopefully she'll be ready to contribute when the season begins.

One of the biggest determinants of our success this season will be the health of Cheridene Green. She's been a great player in the past, hopefully she'll be ready to contribute when the season begins.

Yup and she could be the surprise addition to the new Big 3! She will also be motivated because she's draft eligible!

There's no success as long as CHW is near the program. Success will start as soon as she is fired.

Reactions: 14 people
CHW has done a great job so far,the injuries are what is keeping her teams behind,it has been every year,will Rock stop it ?

Reactions: 3 people
CHW has done a great job so far,the injuries are what is keeping her teams behind,it has been every year,will Rock stop it ?

Yes, injuries are my main concern and how Greene plays coming off the knee injury. Another concern is how the combination of players and a coach leaving will effect recruiting.

I definitely agree that injuries have been a major issue for the team. Perhaps the strength program will make a difference. I think that a capable bench will make a big difference. Holly will have more weapons and can rest players as needed. She will also be in a better position to substitute for players who are having an off night. There will be the inevitable freshmen struggles that will be offset somewhat by the talent of the players. I'm optimistic this team will gel early and some quality seasoning will occur to prepare the team for a conference run. Just have to avoid injuries.

And what if it doesn't what if it gets worst if she is replaced?

You don't keep a third-rate coach because the next hire might not be a roaring success. Nobody does that. Poor coaches get let go and replaced, you do due diligence on the next hire and hope the new coach is a good one. In our case, the odds would be HEAVILY in favor of finding a better coach than Warlick, because there are a LOT of better coaches around. LOTS. I scratch my head at the folks who still have an attachment to Warlick--she was a TERRIBLE choice to replace Summitt.

Reactions: 12 people

We haven't had injuries the last two years and we lost 26 games--were seeded 5th and 7th in the SEC that we used to win every year without breaking a sweat. And you call that great? I don't know what games you've been watching, but they haven't been UT's. Saying Warlick has done a "great job" is laughable...She's not even close to a good coach and the program has had one one problem after another. I think old timers like Warlick because she is a longtime Vol and was close to PS. That's not a good reason to keep her as coach. The program has been floundering for years.

Reactions: 11 people
no injuries ? Tea was out and how many others ? Lets go back to Izzy and others,how many times have they been beat down ? due to injuries ?

Reactions: 7 people
no injuries ? Tea was out and how many others ? Lets go back to Izzy and others,how many times have they been beat down ? due to injuries ?

Wow, I am amazed that you, government mule, and others cite injures as barrier to success..... and I am doubly amazed that you and others prop up Holly using this as an excuse.....

Other frequent comments are..... "well, she is just coming into her own" (after 35 plus years of coaching.... and "you know it is hard replacing a legend"..... etc....

Holly admits (perhaps to her detriment) her coaching mistakes in public.... the program has needed new direction for a while.... with a whole new list of quailties and skill sets required by the head coach.... until that happens, I will be hopeful but not expect much....

I just don't want to hear the lame excuses.... yes Holly had injuries..... but that cannot explain the losses to lesser teams like Virginia Tech, Penn State and Alabama 3 times.... we had perhaps the best roster in America.....we should have been able to beat these lesser teams with half the team injured.....

Reactions: 6 people
so your saying that the injuries had nothing to do with it ? think about CHW's time here at UT,how many of them have been injury plagued ?

it isn't an excuse,it is a fact

Reactions: 2 people
so your saying that the injuries had nothing to do with it ? think about CHW's time here at UT,how many of them have been injury plagued ?

it isn't an excuse,it is a fact

GM I am saying injuries ....... no matter how bad and how many ..... should have had NOTHING to do with Tenn's LOWER TIER losses.....

If we were hampered by injuries and we lost to MD or STAN or TEXAS then OK, but to Va Tech? Ole Miss? Bama? We should absolutely NOT lost to these folks given the talent we have on our roster.....

Reactions: 4 people
We haven't had injuries the last two years and we lost 26 games--were seeded 5th and 7th in the SEC that we used to win every year without breaking a sweat. And you call that great? I don't know what games you've been watching, but they haven't been UT's. Saying Warlick has done a "great job" is laughable...She's not even close to a good coach and the program has had one one problem after another. I think old timers like Warlick because she is a longtime Vol and was close to PS. That's not a good reason to keep her as coach. The program has been floundering for years.

With you Arm...all the way. 100% agree :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Here's my take on it....all of us here want the program to return to glory as being a perennial top team in women's basketball. There are two ways this is going to happen:
1. Program turns around and flourishes under Holly
2. Program continues to slide, Holly is out and the AD brings on someone new who turns the program around

If Deshields plays next year, we have the same predicament we've had the last 7-8 years where we enter the season as a top 5 team on paper with Final Four potential....but again it's exactly that, on paper. In reality, the teams have had some glimpses of good play, but overall almost every team has come up far short of the enormous expectations the team takes on when they don the LV orange.

If Diamond stayed, realistically I think this is a top 10-15 team that once again falls short of expectations but does take a step forward from last season. This is worst case scenario IMO for 2 reasons:

1. The program isn't really improving since the mediocre effort/attitude is likely still in tact, and the following year you lose Deshields/Nared/Russell. Tennessee wont project to be emerging as a Final Four caliber program and has an uphill battle the following season.

2. The program also isn't tanking which means Holly likely continues coaching for a while longer since on her resume she'll now have 3-4 Elite 8s and 5 Sweet 16s in her 6 year, plus a few SEC titles to toss in there. The AD isn't going to fire her for making 5 Sweet 16s in 6 years with a talented young class on board, so Holly stays and the program will never develop beyond being a consistent Sweet 16 program. All that happens is the problem (coaching) is prolonged.

With Diamond leaving, on paper we look a lot less strong, but I think one of two things will happen:
1. Chemistry improves dramatically and this whole off season lights a fire under everyone's a**. Sure there will be bumps, but a great freshman class has opportunity to play in big games, develop as players and help change the tide of the program. Players like Russell and Nared also get more touches and get a chance to shine. There wont be as much pressure on Holly, and as a result, the team improves and puts together a much better season than we are expecting.

2. More of the same as the last two seasons with poor chemistry and on court effort. Losing Diamond means that we'd probably lose 2-3 more games than we would with her, but another poor season and early NCAA exit means the AD really has to evaluate whether Holly stays or goes. If Holly is the problem and this is what it takes to get her out, this outcome might be the best for the program in the long run. Worst case scenario is we have another underwhelming season and the AD decides to stick with Holly. Only upside to this is that freshmen get opportunity to play and develop their first year.

I'm obviously rooting for option one and honestly believe that with all of the changes, chemistry will be a lot better this upcoming season and players will play through this adversity and help steer the ship in the right direction. That said, I'm more of an optimist and feel this way in most off seasons, so we'll see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: 4 people
Here's my take on it....all of us here want the program to return to glory as being a perennial top team in women's basketball. There are two ways this is going to happen:
1. Program turns around and flourishes under Holly
2. Program continues to slide, Holly is out and the AD brings on someone new who turns the program around

If Deshields plays next year, we have the same predicament we've had the last 7-8 years where we enter the season as a top 5 team on paper with Final Four potential....but again it's exactly that, on paper. In reality, the teams have had some glimpses of good play, but overall almost every team has come up far short of the enormous expectations the team takes on when they don the LV orange.

If Diamond stayed, realistically I think this is a top 10-15 team that once again falls short of expectations but does take a step forward from last season. This is worst case scenario IMO for 2 reasons:

1. The program isn't really improving since the mediocre effort/attitude is likely still in tact, and the following year you lose Deshields/Nared/Russell. Tennessee wont project to be emerging as a Final Four caliber program and has an uphill battle the following season.

2. The program also isn't tanking which means Holly likely continues coaching for a while longer since on her resume she'll now have 3-4 Elite 8s and 5 Sweet 16s in her 6 year, plus a few SEC titles to toss in there. The AD isn't going to fire her for making 5 Sweet 16s in 6 years with a talented young class on board, so Holly stays and the program will never develop beyond being a consistent Sweet 16 program. All that happens is the problem (coaching) is prolonged.

With Diamond leaving, on paper we look a lot less strong, but I think one of two things will happen:
1. Chemistry improves dramatically and this whole off season lights a fire under everyone's a**. Sure there will be bumps, but a great freshman class has opportunity to play in big games, develop as players and help change the tide of the program. Players like Russell and Nared also get more touches and get a chance to shine. There wont be as much pressure on Holly, and as a result, the team improves and puts together a much better season than we are expecting.

2. More of the same as the last two seasons with poor chemistry and on court effort. Losing Diamond means that we'd probably lose 2-3 more games than we would with her, but another poor season and early NCAA exit means the AD really has to evaluate whether Holly stays or goes. If Holly is the problem and this is what it takes to get her out, this outcome might be the best for the program in the long run. Worst case scenario is we have another underwhelming season and the AD decides to stick with Holly. Only upside to this is that freshmen get opportunity to play and develop their first year.

I'm obviously rooting for option one and honestly believe that with all of the changes, chemistry will be a lot better this upcoming season and players will play through this adversity and help steer the ship in the right direction. That said, I'm more of an optimist and feel this way in most off seasons, so we'll see how it all shakes out.

Well said!

I think there is a ton of potential with this roster. The future is probably good, the present is a little scary. I don't blame DeShields for all the problems the last two years. Overall I take the high road in that Holly has done well given the circumstances, but this year should be watched closely to see if she can turn this around. The roster is sadly thin again and I would honestly start Russell and Nared with three freshmen and let them work it out.

VN Store

Back