Great article by Sally Jenkins on coaching difficulties today

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
That article is so spot-on it could easily be posted in men's basketball, football recruiting, and every high school administrator's office.

Do yourself and others a favor and print off a couple copies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/womens-college-athletes-dont-need-another-coddling-parent-they-need-a-coach/2017/06/23/4765cf40-5820-11e7-a204-ad706461fa4f_story.html?utm_term=.81d521084d65

Geno never has very many problems with his players or injuries either. Seems we are a drama factory at Tennessee since Holly took over. Either half the team is injured or pouting and fighting with each other.

Do you follow UConn closely enough to know if they have injuries or drama?

And now injuries are Holly's fault, too? That evil *****!

Lol. "FAHR HOLLY!"

Reactions: 7 people

Lol. "FAHR HOLLY!"
I would hope rabid LV fans are fans of WBB too, and not just focus on Tennessee. Just concentrating on "your team" leads to an overall ignorance of where one's team stands in the overall scheme of things. I can see not following other teams for the casual fan for whom winning isn't a life & death matter. The reaction to the loss is a moment of too bad and then they move on with their life.

For the serious interested fan, why not know about the top teams like Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas, South Carolina, etc? It enriches the experience.

From reading the comments on the article, it appears that the majority of readers think it is idiotic on many levels.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but it does seem like uconn does not have player issues for several reasons:

1. Although untroubled recruits are hard to come by, he will not take anyone who does not meet his mental attitude standards, and that includes the parents.

2. He doesn't promise a recruit anything. I cringed when it was reported that Ariel Massingale was promised a starting PG position if she committed. Geno tells all recruits they have to earn what they get. This results in getting confident players who have nothing to complain about if they fail to get playing time.

3. Uconn gets injuries, but they usually are not serious or season ending. Given the toughness of their practices, it seems odd not to have more issues. I attribute it to superior strength and conditioning personnel. Plus it seems players there tend to play through the pain.

4. Public info about uconn is readily available, and there doesn't seem to be any drama within the program. They are all focused on the goal of winning. I believe they are too busy trying to please Geno to get involved in petty issues. Plus, the coaches are the enemy, given they roundly criticize the players on a constant basis. The team bonds together against the coaches as a way to survive. Like soldiers on a battlefield.

None of these traits seem to exist under Holly. She's effusive with glowing praise of players, while Geno makes public comments about his players like saying Stefanie Dolson couldn't jump over a take-out menu. But it doesn't affect the players except to cause them to work harder.

All these traits seem to be lacking with Holly and staff. The problem is, there probably not many coaches available that can do appreciably better.

hey besti,

he who would stand for everything(follows every team) stands for nothing.

Reactions: 6 people
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/womens-college-athletes-dont-need-another-coddling-parent-they-need-a-coach/2017/06/23/4765cf40-5820-11e7-a204-ad706461fa4f_story.html?utm_term=.81d521084d65

Geno never has very many problems with his players or injuries either. Seems we are a drama factory at Tennessee since Holly took over. Either half the team is injured or pouting and fighting with each other.

Since Holly took over, she has had a major disadvantage that Pat had under control.

If you do not know where Pat lived, it's just off US129 just north of topside road, and the player's old apartment complex no longer exists and riverlake drive where it once stood is gated off from both ends and locked. But all her players lived just a short walk from Pat's house. If any player had a problem, all they had to do was walk past that still standing outdoor basketball court and down a path to her cul de sac. If you look at it on google maps,, you will see that was maybe a two minute walk from their mentor, and their living situation was insulated from the sometime hectic environment dorm life brings.

Now, Holly's players are living in regular student housing and do not have the privacy Pat provided. Not saying the Jenkins article isn't spot on, but in the case of the Lady Vols, it's far from the whole story. When I look at that, it shows just how smart Pat was.

Last edited:

Lol. "FAHR HOLLY!"

It is insane to blame LV injuries on Holly. In Genno's case, he has the perfect situation, he wins championships and he is in a cupcake conference. Nearly everyone gets an opportunity to play in conference games. Most of the time UCONN conference games are over by halftime. It is almost like a bunch of practice games.

Holly plays in one of, if not the, most difficult conference in D1 women's basketball. We also have talent that does not play up to their potential. There also is a lack of on floor leadership. In addition, the offense sucks. The last few years we have suffered from a few questionable and/or bad attitudes. These things can cause dissension on a team.

In the end, the buck stops with the head coach.

I would hope rabid LV fans are fans of WBB too, and not just focus on Tennessee. Just concentrating on "your team" leads to an overall ignorance of where one's team stands in the overall scheme of things. I can see not following other teams for the casual fan for whom winning isn't a life & death matter. The reaction to the loss is a moment of too bad and then they move on with their life.

For the serious interested fan, why not know about the top teams like Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas, South Carolina, etc? It enriches the experience.

From reading the comments on the article, it appears that the majority of readers think it is idiotic on many levels.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but it does seem like uconn does not have player issues for several reasons:

1. Although untroubled recruits are hard to come by, he will not take anyone who does not meet his mental attitude standards, and that includes the parents.

2. He doesn't promise a recruit anything. I cringed when it was reported that Ariel Massingale was promised a starting PG position if she committed. Geno tells all recruits they have to earn what they get. This results in getting confident players who have nothing to complain about if they fail to get playing time.

3. Uconn gets injuries, but they usually are not serious or season ending. Given the toughness of their practices, it seems odd not to have more issues. I attribute it to superior strength and conditioning personnel. Plus it seems players there tend to play through the pain.

4. Public info about uconn is readily available, and there doesn't seem to be any drama within the program. They are all focused on the goal of winning. I believe they are too busy trying to please Geno to get involved in petty issues. Plus, the coaches are the enemy, given they roundly criticize the players on a constant basis. The team bonds together against the coaches as a way to survive. Like soldiers on a battlefield.

None of these traits seem to exist under Holly. She's effusive with glowing praise of players, while Geno makes public comments about his players like saying Stefanie Dolson couldn't jump over a take-out menu. But it doesn't affect the players except to cause them to work harder.

All these traits seem to be lacking with Holly and staff. The problem is, there probably not many coaches available that can do appreciably better.

Can't wait to see what he does with Megan Walker

It is insane to blame LV injuries on Holly. In Genno's case, he has the perfect situation, he wins championships and he is in a cupcake conference. Nearly everyone gets an opportunity to play in conference games. Most of the time UCONN conference games are over by halftime. It is almost like a bunch of practice games.

Holly plays in one of, if not the, most difficult conference in D1 women's basketball. We also have talent that does not play up to their potential. There also is a lack of on floor leadership. In addition, the offense sucks. The last few years we have suffered from a few questionable and/or bad attitudes. These things can cause dissension on a team.

In the end, the buck stops with the head coach.

By my memory (not great) many of the LVs injuries came in pickup games or offseason. If that is true, does Geno ban players from participating in such? Does Holly?

By my memory (not great) many of the LVs injuries came in pickup games or offseason. If that is true, does Geno ban players from participating in such? Does Holly?

The injuries you are talking about:
Harrison getting her legs cut out from her during a game with SC I think?

Or Massengales concussions during a game?

Or maybe the Jasmine Jones concussions during a game?

Or Andrea Carters shoulder during a game her Freshman year? Or maybe her broken fingers during the NCAATournament? Bashera Graves hurt her hand in that same game !!!!

Maybe you are talking about Jana Tucker who had knee surgery before she ever got on campus!

Not sure what you mean (pick up games) ?

The injuries you are talking about:
Harrison getting her legs cut out from her during a game with SC I think?

Or Massengales concussions during a game?

Or maybe the Jasmine Jones concussions during a game?

Or Andrea Carters shoulder during a game her Freshman year? Or maybe her broken fingers during the NCAATournament? Bashera Graves hurt her hand in that same game !!!!

Maybe you are talking about Jana Tucker who had knee surgery before she ever got on campus!

Not sure what you mean (pick up games) ?

Coopers knee injury happened at home

Cooper's injury was the most significant, but we've had other players with injuries from summer league basketball as well.

I doubt if most programs limit players during their off time other than making suggestions for reducing injury risk. There is constant talk here about doing off season work as a key to improvement. Can't have it both ways.

I remember when Brittney Griner use to be criticized for her skateboard exploits, but she never stopped. Getting an athlete to sit still is a futile exercise.

I don't think Tennessee is alone in the injury department. Fans here that don't follow other programs may not be aware of how common injury is.

Programs that have fewer concentrate on exercise and stretching routines that result in reduced risks. Plus advising players as to what activities or moves to avoid helps. Proper technique in things like jumping and landing are important. Recruiting evaluations also play a part. Players are sometimes passed up because their body structures are accidents waiting to happen.

Many LV fans are focused on their own team and are not acutely aware of injuries to others. Every team has them. No need to lament. It's just a matter of making do as best as possible while relying on the staff to get people back on the court ASAP.

VN Store

Back