2018 Softball team

Vols4life

Chalupa Batman
Amanda Ayala has been named an All-American....so has Ally Shipman

http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/062117aaa.html

Gabby Sprang has also been named an All-American and will play in an all-star game with Ayala on July 28th on ESPNU

http://www.premiergirlsfastpitch.com/pgf_final_all_american_selections

In other news 3 players are transferring from the team that were there in 2017 one of them is Taylor Rowland who is heading to Long Beach State....thanks to those ladies for playing for UT best of luck to them!

Reactions: 1 person
As I posted in another thread...

Gabby Sprang did a 10+ minute interview on the Sports Animal today at 4:05. Sounds like we got a winner coming on board. But the biggest thing was something she said towards the end about pitching by committee. She's smart and knows that bats are hotter, and prep is better. It's not like it was in the Abbott days, where a pitcher could pitch all three games in a weekend series. Hitters are smarter. Bats are hotter. Coaches make them watch video of pitchers.

Sounds like she's okay with not being the "star" or the "stud" in the rotation. Also seemed to like that because UT has Moss and Arnold returning she doesn't have to step in on day one and be the hero.

As I posted in another thread...

Gabby Sprang did a 10+ minute interview on the Sports Animal today at 4:05. Sounds like we got a winner coming on board. But the biggest thing was something she said towards the end about pitching by committee. She's smart and knows that bats are hotter, and prep is better. It's not like it was in the Abbott days, where a pitcher could pitch all three games in a weekend series. Hitters are smarter. Bats are hotter. Coaches make them watch video of pitchers.

Sounds like she's okay with not being the "star" or the "stud" in the rotation. Also seemed to like that because UT has Moss and Arnold returning she doesn't have to step in on day one and be the hero.

She is a great kid I've spoken about her to her travel ball coach a few times

It's funny how players can sometimes get a reputation for having Paul Bunyanesque abilities. I've read and heard that Sprang throws 70. When asked in the interview what is the fastest she has been clocked she replies 67. Which is plenty fast enough. Pure speed is not as important as location, movement and change of speed. But it's funny how a story passes from person to person and 63 gets rounded up to 65 and 67 gets rounded up to 70. For those who didn't get to listen to the interview her team, the Georgia Impact, just won the SoCal Invitational and she pitched 4 of 7 games. She claims to throw 5 pitches, with the drop being her money pitch. Can't wait to see her pitch.

It's funny how players can sometimes get a reputation for having Paul Bunyanesque abilities. I've read and heard that Sprang throws 70. When asked in the interview what is the fastest she has been clocked she replies 67. Which is plenty fast enough. Pure speed is not as important as location, movement and change of speed. But it's funny how a story passes from person to person and 63 gets rounded up to 65 and 67 gets rounded up to 70. For those who didn't get to listen to the interview her team, the Georgia Impact, just won the SoCal Invitational and she pitched 4 of 7 games. She claims to throw 5 pitches, with the drop being her money pitch. Can't wait to see her pitch.

Well said. The only snafu in her interview is that she should have said that there is no way she can be the next Monica Abbott. EDIT - they boxed her in when asking to compare herself to Abbott.

Abbott is a once in a generation player. Sprang has a 1 in a 100 chance of being as good as she was. Game has changed, offense has changed, coaching philosophy has changed.

Amanda Ayala has been named an All-American....so has Ally Shipman

http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/062117aaa.html

Gabby Sprang has also been named an All-American and will play in an all-star game with Ayala on July 28th on ESPNU

http://www.premiergirlsfastpitch.com/pgf_final_all_american_selections

In other news 3 players are transferring from the team that were there in 2017 one of them is Taylor Rowland who is heading to Long Beach State....thanks to those ladies for playing for UT best of luck to them!

Not surprised on Rowland. Apparently she felt as I do that she would not be a starter. She has difficulty hitting the ball but did ok at first base. Only down side to her leaving is she is a sophomore so she may have eventually made it. Good luck to her!1
Will not even venture a guess on the other two but I felt like we would most likely lose at least two.:loco:

Hate to lose Rowland--and do not think it is a good thing for the team. I think she's got upside--and power potential, which we badly need. Did the coaches mess this up by playing Bearden too much late in the last third of the season? Perhaps. We all talk about Rowland not hitting: This was her first year of playing and she hit .247 with 24 RBI (89 at bats). In 51 at bats, Bearden hit .216 with 9 RBI--and had more strikeouts than Rowland. Slugging percentage: Rowland .371 vs. .275 for Bearden. Bearden, playing late in the season, may have faced a bit more tougher pitching than Rowland, who seemed to play more early in the season, but that would have to be checked--not sure.

So who is playing first next year? Maybe Ashley Morgan can play first. I don't think she's played the position before, but not positive. If not her, it is Vines. That leaves Holcomb in left, McLain in center and right field is up for grabs. Ayala will perhaps be given first crack at that position. Sprang should give us more pitching depth--but we could still be facing two problems---weak right-hand hitting and lack of power. Morgan might help in the power department, but it's impossible to say at this point, and I don't see anyone else boosting our HR numbers significantly. I feel like Lockman and Weimer are going to be key to this team's potential next year. Right now we don't have a single solid right-hand hitter on the team. With more than a few good lefty pitchers in the game nowadays that is not a good thing. Getting strong(er) years out of Lockman and Weimer will be crucial.

Hate to lose Rowland--and do not think it is a good thing for the team. I think she's got upside--and power potential, which we badly need. Did the coaches mess this up by playing Bearden too much late in the last third of the season? Perhaps. We all talk about Rowland not hitting: This was her first year of playing and she hit .247 with 24 RBI (89 at bats). In 51 at bats, Bearden hit .216 with 9 RBI--and had more strikeouts than Rowland. Slugging percentage: Rowland .371 vs. .275 for Bearden. Bearden, playing late in the season, may have faced a bit more tougher pitching than Rowland, who seemed to play more early in the season, but that would have to be checked--not sure.

So who is playing first next year? Maybe Ashley Morgan can play first. I don't think she's played the position before, but not positive. If not her, it is Vines. That leaves Holcomb in left, McLain in center and right field is up for grabs. Ayala will perhaps be given first crack at that position. Sprang should give us more pitching depth--but we could still be facing two problems---weak right-hand hitting and lack of power. Morgan might help in the power department, but it's impossible to say at this point, and I don't see anyone else boosting our HR numbers significantly. I feel like Lockman and Weimer are going to be key to this team's potential next year. Right now we don't have a single solid right-hand hitter on the team. With more than a few good lefty pitchers in the game nowadays that is not a good thing. Getting strong(er) years out of Lockman and Weimer will be crucial.

Oregon got all the way to the WCWS this year with 1 power hitter....it can be done we just did not get the timely hits this post season that we had in the regular season that is all we were missing

excited about the incoming pitching...this is gonna be good...:yes::salute:

GO LADY VOLS!...come on Mr Currie...make it official...:rock:

Not surprised on Rowland. Apparently she felt as I do that she would not be a starter. She has difficulty hitting the ball but did ok at first base. Only down side to her leaving is she is a sophomore so she may have eventually made it. Good luck to her!1
Will not even venture a guess on the other two but I felt like we would most likely lose at least two.:loco:

Probably a really good move for her. Never was able to fully regain her form after losing her true freshman year to a knee injury.

The other two were walk-ons. I'm not naming names, because I'm not sure if they were trying to go to a smaller program or giving up the sport and remaining in school at UT.

Not sure if anyone else will elect to move on, but that's all at this point. They, for the most part, have the first session of summer school off and will return here in July.

Last edited:
Probably a really good move for her. Never was able to fully regain her form after losing her true freshman year to a knee injury.

The other two were walk-ons. I'm not naming names, because I'm not sure if they were trying to go to a smaller program or giving up the sport and remaining in school at UT.

Not sure if anyone else will elect to move on, but that's all at this point. They, for the most part, have the first session of summer school off and will return here in July.

Thanks DP for your information always!!!!!:)

It's not accurate to say that Rowland "never was able to fully regain her form" after losing her freshman year to injury. What form? This was her first year of college softball. She had no form. You establish your college form by playing and then the numbers reveal your form. Like most first-year players, Rowland, who was a highly regarded prospect, struggled to adjust to good college pitching. Would she have improved next year? Propably--but we'll never know. If you want a player who "failed to regain the hitting form" she showed earlier in her career, the name Geer pops to mind. In any case, you don't want to lose hitters with potential, and that's what I think Rowland was.

The bottom line is that the Vols will need better hitting from more players next year. The team was basically carried this past year offensively by Gregg, Vines and Leach. Everybody else who wasn't a slapper struggled. That's not going to cut it when your ambition is a national title.

It's not accurate to say that Rowland "never was able to fully regain her form" after losing her freshman year to injury. What form? This was her first year of college softball. She had no form. You establish your college form by playing and then the numbers reveal your form. Like most first-year players, Rowland, who was a highly regarded prospect, struggled to adjust to good college pitching. Would she have improved next year? Propably--but we'll never know. If you want a player who "failed to regain the hitting form" she showed earlier in her career, the name Geer pops to mind. In any case, you don't want to lose hitters with potential, and that's what I think Rowland was.

The bottom line is that the Vols will need better hitting from more players next year. The team was basically carried this past year offensively by Gregg, Vines and Leach. Everybody else who wasn't a slapper struggled. That's not going to cut it when your ambition is a national title.

Yes she had a form before her injury and never was able to get it back, it happens sometimes

Reactions: 2 people

The form I speak of is what made her into a top 30 recruit nationally. It's the form she showed in fall practice before her injury. Her swing and her conditioning are not where they were before her injury. It's that simple. I hope she's able to get it back at her next school.

She left on her own, it was her decision. She was not encouraged to leave by the coaching staff.

As for Geer, yes she had a senior season that was below her standards, but her other three seasons were outstanding.

The form I speak of is what made her into a top 30 recruit nationally. It's the form she showed in fall practice before her injury. Her swing and her conditioning are not where they were before her injury. It's that simple. I hope she's able to get it back at her next school.

She left on her own, it was her decision. She was not encouraged to leave by the coaching staff.

As for Geer, yes she had a senior season that was below her standards, but her other three seasons were outstanding.

to lose prospects like Rowland. It's a bad look for the program. She still has loads of potential, IMO, more so than Bearden. I know the coaches were desperate to find somebody in the 6 spot who could hit, but they might have got a bit carried away with Bearden, who hit less well than Rowland, and now Rowland's leaving.

to lose prospects like Rowland. It's a bad look for the program. She still has loads of potential, IMO, more so than Bearden. I know the coaches were desperate to find somebody in the 6 spot who could hit, but they might have got a bit carried away with Bearden, who hit less well than Rowland, and now Rowland's leaving.

Well, over the last 18 games she played, starting with the finale against Ole Miss, Rowland had 2 hits in 26 at-bats (.076 avg), 4 RBI (1 on a bases-loaded walk), 4 walks, and 0 extra-base hits.

Over the same time period, Bearden played in 17 games, going 8 for 30 (.266) with 7 RBI, 7 walks and 2 extra base hits.

So while she's not going to make the all-conference team for her efforts, Bearden's batting average against the tough teams late in the season (.266) was 20 points higher than Rowland's average for the whole season. And she's on a very small scholarship.

Reactions: 5 people

It's a bad look for the program? What does that mean? No disrespect to Taylor but nobody outside of hardcore UT softball fans and Rowland's family and friends ever heard of her or will notice she left. Every team has transfers, most every year. We've had much higher profile players transfer and it hasn't affected recruiting has it? We have a top 5 class every year it seems. High school softball players are good at math. They know when a top 10 program recruits a half dozen top 100 players every year some of them will end up on the bench and want to move on to a place they can play. What big time softball program doesn't work that way?

Armchair, I guess you missed the part where Deerpark said she left on her own....the coaches wanted her back but she wanted to leave....That's why I wish her well she gave her all while she was here....Bearden is a great player too and you will see that she can also catch and has a tremendous arm

Well said. The only snafu in her interview is that she should have said that there is no way she can be the next Monica Abbott. EDIT - they boxed her in when asking to compare herself to Abbott.

Abbott is a once in a generation player. Sprang has a 1 in a 100 chance of being as good as she was. Game has changed, offense has changed, coaching philosophy has changed.

I also believe that the mound was moved back 6 or 7 years ago to create more offense. Prior to that pitchers ruled the game. A few feet can make quite a difference. Add to that the improvement in bat technology and you have the perfect storm for more offense. Also athletics are trained better and eat better.

Well, over the last 18 games she played, starting with the finale against Ole Miss, Rowland had 2 hits in 26 at-bats (.076 avg), 4 RBI (1 on a bases-loaded walk), 4 walks, and 0 extra-base hits.

Over the same time period, Bearden played in 17 games, going 8 for 30 (.266) with 7 RBI, 7 walks and 2 extra base hits.

So while she's not going to make the all-conference team for her efforts, Bearden's batting average against the tough teams late in the season (.266) was 20 points higher than Rowland's average for the whole season. And she's on a very small scholarship.

I do think scholarship money played into this. Rowland can get in-state tuition playing in CA, that she likely couldn't get here.

My understanding was that she was strongly encouraged to go if she wanted to play. So, maybe technically Rowland's decision but not really.

Completely concur with your other comments. Appreciate your input, DP.

VN Store

Back