Holly's new teamwork project

Good idea especially if there was a fight or something of that nature. Administration may also have "suggested" that she do something like this. When they did that marine thing they had Andraya who was actually a good leader I wish Diamond was not hurt because she admitted that she didn't feel like she should speak up because it wasn't her team yet. I hope she feels differently now as this is her team and this is a chance to leave the legacy she speaks about!

Reactions: 5 people
“I think we have such a different feel right now with our team, with a new group coming in and people that have departed,” Tennessee head coach Holly Warlick told The Daily Times in a June 14 interview. “Right now, it’s just a great feel. I know we are doing more things coming up this year to be better communicators with each other, better leaders and better teammates.”

Seems like Holly is beginning to acknowledge her shortcomings and working to fix some things. Can't wait to see who we hire as our next assistant coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, this approach seems more promising than the military style challenge approach to team building Holly tried 2 or 3 seasons ago.

I hope the group really does come together and can deliver some big wins this coming season. That would be terrific!

I have to say, though, that every year before every season of Holly's tenure she's made statements about how wonderful the group is and how so very close they are and how great their summer workouts were and how so-and-so is really showing leadership and how all this is going to translate into a successful season -- just wait and see!

But in the months AFTER the season we find out that they were actually a hot mess all along, but this NEXT season will be different because of the new players coming in and how great the chemistry is now.

So we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope the group really does come together and can deliver some big wins this coming season. That would be terrific!

I have to say, though, that every year before every season of Holly's tenure she's made statements about how wonderful the group is and how so very close they are and how great their summer workouts were and how so-and-so is really showing leadership and how all this is going to translate into a successful season -- just wait and see!

But in the months AFTER the season we find out that they were actually a hot mess all along, but this NEXT season will be different because of the new players coming in and how great the chemistry is now.

You're right. That has been a running theme of Holly's tenure. I think the last time this team really seemed to have great chemistry was during Cierra's senior year when they had to overcome Izzy's injury.

I also think there is a little bit of a Catch-22. It is easier to have good chemistry when you are winning and things are going well. The Lvs have gotten off to poor starts in the last few years, which in turn makes any underlying rifts more prominent. Of course, not being connected as a team likely had much to do with those early season struggles, hence the Catch-22.

I also think there is a little bit of a Catch-22. It is easier to have good chemistry when you are winning and things are going well. The Lvs have gotten off to poor starts in the last few years, which in turn makes any underlying rifts more prominent. Of course, not being connected as a team likely had much to do with those early season struggles, hence the Catch-22.

If I had my druthers, no-one representing the Lady Vols would make any statements about how much better this next season is going to be. More than anyone else, I'd consider it a move in a positive direction if Diamond DeShields somehow forgets to make her annual predictions for herself that have, up to this point, only served to send her into deep, self-pitying funks when she finds herself struggling with the pressure of trying to live up to the astronomically high expectations that she placed upon HERSELF.

For the love of God, Diamond. Keep your mouth closed, your eye on the ball, and your head on straight. Do those things and your natural talent will do all the talking that you need to do. :p

Reactions: 3 people

Wish I could disagree, but this is spot on. I will add that some of the comments are hopeful, positive coach speak. Not like any coach would say preseason, "Our chemistry sucks! We'll probably lose 14 games! " lol

“I think we have such a different feel right now with our team, with a new group coming in and people that have departed,” Tennessee head coach Holly Warlick told The Daily Times in a June 14 interview. “Right now, it’s just a great feel. I know we are doing more things coming up this year to be better communicators with each other, better leaders and better teammates.”

As others have noted above, Warlick says variations on this theme EVERY year, before the season. In fact, I'm quite sure she said almost EXACTLY the same thing last year: They players are committed, they're working hard, their attitude has been great, there's a different feel to the team, blah, blah, blah. And then the same problems appear once the season starts. She thinks everybody and everything is wonderful until we start getting beat by teams with far less talent and then the head-scratching begins.

As others have noted above, Warlick says variations on this theme EVERY year, before the season. In fact, I'm quite sure she said almost EXACTLY the same thing last year: They players are committed, they're working hard, their attitude has been great, there's a different feel to the team, blah, blah, blah. And then the same problems appear once the season starts. She thinks everybody and everything is wonderful until we start getting beat by teams with far less talent and then the head-scratching begins.

"If you followed us last year very closely, and then you come in practice now, it’s a totally different feel,” Warlick said. “They’re all ready to go. ..." BR Nov 9, 2016

It seems she's acknowledging there is a problem, which she hasn't done in the past. Instead of saying I don't know why things are happening this way, she's taking steps to fix the problems.

... Warlick says variations on this theme EVERY year, before the season. In fact, I'm quite sure she said almost EXACTLY the same thing last year: They players are committed, they're working hard, their attitude has been great, there's a different feel to the team, blah, blah, blah. And then the same problems appear once the season starts. She thinks everybody and everything is wonderful until we start getting beat by teams with far less talent and then the head-scratching begins.

Au contraire, from that article it seems that Holly is well aware that attitudes are problematic and she's trying to give some players a kick in the ***.

"...Warlick formed a new group named “Team Up.” It’ll be a combination of mental trainers and sports psychologists among others to help the team prepare for games mentally and physically. It’s a team exercise that’ll also help get the player’s nose out of their phones and into becoming a more rounded teammate and person individually.

“The group that I’ve formed is going to help us be better listeners, better communicators and just better people outside of basketball,” the sixth-year head coach said. “Not that we have bad kids, we have great kids, but I think we can be better. We are trying to get them better on the basketball court and now we are trying to get them better personally and socially, as well.”

The communication aspect is one that Warlick believes her team lacked on an off the court last season. Not that she thinks all of her players will be best friends, but she expects a relationship to form through the basketball to achieve the ultimate goal — a championship."

Au contraire, from that article it seems that Holly is well aware that attitudes are problematic and she's trying to give some players a kick in the ***.

"...Warlick formed a new group named “Team Up.” It’ll be a combination of mental trainers and sports psychologists among others to help the team prepare for games mentally and physically. It’s a team exercise that’ll also help get the player’s nose out of their phones and into becoming a more rounded teammate and person individually.

“The group that I’ve formed is going to help us be better listeners, better communicators and just better people outside of basketball,” the sixth-year head coach said. “Not that we have bad kids, we have great kids, but I think we can be better. We are trying to get them better on the basketball court and now we are trying to get them better personally and socially, as well.”

The communication aspect is one that Warlick believes her team lacked on an off the court last season. Not that she thinks all of her players will be best friends, but she expects a relationship to form through the basketball to achieve the ultimate goal — a championship."
Anyone with experience in the corporate world has had to endure these team building events. I've never seen them work and they tend to prevent real work from being done. Just wasted money and time.

The team would be much better off using their basketball time on the practice court improving their skills.

oooh did ya'll catch the " mental trainers" part ?

she better stock up on recruits

I've seen this before and it will be a terrible thing

when I did,there heads exploded like water melons

was it Scanners ?

Anyone with experience in the corporate world has had to endure these team building events. I've never seen them work and they tend to prevent real work from being done. Just wasted money and time.

The team would be much better off using their basketball time on the practice court improving their skills.

In the interest of being fair, the corporate world is way different than the college campus world. Most kids in college haven't yet gotten completely cynical, so they are at least a little more likely to buy in to the lessons that exercises like these are created to teach.

But then again, maybe they'll all just be daydreaming about getting back to their phones while going through the paces like zombies. :crazy:

My hope is that Holly will pull it together but doubt it happens.....her track record has been miserable in that regard.

In the interest of being fair, the corporate world is way different than the college campus world. Most kids in college haven't yet gotten completely cynical, so they are at least a little more likely to buy in to the lessons that exercises like these are created to teach.

But then again, maybe they'll all just be daydreaming about getting back to their phones while going through the paces like zombies. :crazy:
Perhaps you're right. It's worth a try. The coach has to be a shrink these days, and not just an ordinary shrink but a highly talented one.

In the interest of being fair, the corporate world is way different than the college campus world....

There are more parallels to the business world than you think there are, running a basketball program...If you don't run this team like a business, it will be a rec-team. With kids and parents pushing the coach to do it their way. We done seen that doesn't work

I think it's a GREAT idea on Holly's part to assemble a group of professionals to help this team mentally/emotionally and not just physically. But why continue this "things are great" spiel prior to each season?? Under the circumstances I think everyone in wbb knows "Right now, it's just a great feel" is an overstatement at best and lunacy at worst. The recent developments and the fact she's placing so much weight on the freshmen clearly shows there are issues within the program. My thing is, just say we're trying to get better and leave it at that. As my aunt says, no need to blow sunshine up my [rear]...just tell it like it is. When we do all this grandstanding it only makes it harder when we don't live up to the expectations. Especially on the players, I think that's why they get so down on themselves. Better to under-promise and over-deliver!

Last edited:
oooh did ya'll catch the " mental trainers" part ?
she better stock up on recruits
I've seen this before and it will be a terrible thing
when I did,there heads exploded like water melons

was it Scanners ?
Yep...that's the one!

Attachments

• Scanners movie.jpg
    Scanners movie.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 88
There are more parallels to the business world than you think there are, running a basketball program...If you don't run this team like a business, it will be a rec-team. With kids and parents pushing the coach to do it their way. We done seen that doesn't work

Oh, I know that. I'd never suggest the program be run like a rec-team. My point was that young adults are not as cynical as those of us who've been working for decades and then we hear that the CEO gathers everyone to announce that he or she has, "given recent changes and upheavals within the organization" decided to "take steps to bring everyone back together again through an exciting new team building workshop --and we are all required to participate. Yay!"

Cynical adults have to work really, really hard to keep their eyes from rolling back into their heads and laughing out loud. Most college kids haven't lived long enough to instantly hate the idea, so there's a chance it'll work! lol

I disagree. While we've all sat through a boring meeting or team exercise, there is wisdom in trying to improve the mental side of performance.

Wasn't it before Pat Summitt's first championship that she didn't practice but called-in someone to help the team visualize the success and see themselves making the defense plays in advance of the game?

We witnessed the streaky under-performance of very skilled teams the past two seasons. Many games, the team on the court did not follow the game plan of the coaches.

It seems obvious that there were issues of chemistry. We've learned publicly of team conflicts so significant it led to a player losing her scholarship.

Doesn't it make sense to address these chemistry issues? Improved communication doesn't take the place of honing physical skills, but it should reasonably lead to improved coaching and play.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back