A look ahead to the season...

VA_VOLFAN

What do we think players averages will be this year? This could be a fun thread to start to see who gets the closest at the end of the season...

Diamond 21 pts 5 Rb 3 assists 1.5 steals
Jaime 17 pts. 6 RB 1.5assists
Mercedes 16 pts 11 rb 2 blks
Cheridene. 8 pts 10 rb
Westbrook 8 pts 4 rb 4 assists 1 stl
Hayes 5 pts. 2.5 rebounds 2 assists 2 stls
Davis 6 points 5 rebounds
Kasi 4 points 4 rebounds
Jackson 5 points 2 rebounds
Kortney 3.5 points 1.5 rebounds
Harris 2 points 1.5 rebounds

That adds up to 95.5 points per game. Seriously? You think this fall's team is going to average 95.5 points per game? In may games last season the team struggled to break 60 and suddenly they are going to average 95.5 points per game. Wow!

Reactions: 1 person
That adds up to 95.5 points per game. Seriously? You think this fall's team is going to average 95.5 points per game? In may games last season the team struggled to break 60 and suddenly they are going to average 95.5 points per game. Wow!

I know right I was just having fun... while I think the big 3 numbers are going to be pretty close to accurate the others I hope are closer to that . The team averaged around 74 points last year. The Lady Vols adding 10-12 points to their average this year is well within the range of possibilities. With Green in the post and some highly touted freshmen.

I know right I was just having fun... while I think the big 3 numbers are going to be pretty close to accurate the others I hope are closer to that . The team averaged around 74 points last year. The Lady Vols adding 10-12 points to their average this year is well within the range of possibilities. With Green in the post and some highly touted freshmen.

I dont see why this team cant average in the high 80's. There will be more talent, better defensive play, and Diamond wont be under so much pressure to score most of the points. I agree with most of your averages, as the big three did avg double digits. I would come down to maybe 1.5 points per game for meme, as i dont think she will see many minutes. Harris with maybe .5 point a game if shes lucky. If dunbar can hit her threes, she could do pretty well

I don't think the players outside the big 3 will score as much as you're predicting. Other than Evina, who will play alot, I think the rest of the freshmen will score quite a bit less if JN/DD/MR are putting up such big numbers.

I dont see why this team cant average in the high 80's.

Maybe. But the three highest scoring teams last season were Baylor (89.5), Maryland (89.3), and UConn (87.1). SEC teams don't typically score a lot of points. South Carolina was the highest scoring SEC team last season (ranked #20 nationally) at 76.3 points per game. I think Tennessee averaging 80 ppg would be a positive step forward. I just don't see any team in the country averaging 95.5.

Link to NCAA stats: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/team/111

I don't think the players outside the big 3 will score as much as you're predicting. Other than Evina, who will play alot, I think the rest of the freshmen will score quite a bit less if JN/DD/MR are putting up such big numbers.

I think the Green will score between 6-8 off put backs..Hayes I think will hit a couple shots a game or get to the line because of her quickness and be a nuisance on the defensive end. To me Davis is the X factor her shot is sweet and she can rebound the ball. I think she will score about 6 a game to start off. It's exciting to think about.

Maybe. But the three highest scoring teams last season were Baylor (89.5), Maryland (89.3), and UConn (87.1). SEC teams don't typically score a lot of points. South Carolina was the highest scoring SEC team last season (ranked #20 nationally) at 76.3 points per game. I think Tennessee averaging 80 ppg would be a positive step forward. I just don't see any team in the country averaging 95.5.

Link to NCAA stats: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/team/111

Hahaha I agree... I was ambitious but 80 ppg is def in their reach... I hope we don't play a weak out of conference schedule but MD scored a lot from playing a weak OOC schedule. Baylor played a pretty decent OOC but those cupcakes is where they were beating people by like 80 points which really adds up. Big 12 wasn't exactly strong either.

Diamond, Russell, and Nared were each averaging about 34 minutes per game last year and scored a combined 49 points. That only leaves 98 minutes per game for the other eight players to share. You cannot score if you're not on the floor. If the big three are playing fewer minutes per game this fall (to share playing time with the others) will their ppg go down from last year at a rate that corresponds with their decreased playing time?

I hope we don't play a weak out of conference schedule but MD scored a lot from playing a weak OOC schedule. Baylor played a pretty decent OOC but those cupcakes is where they were beating people by like 80 points which really adds up.

A weak schedule can influence a team's score in two ways. If the starters are playing a lot of minutes, a team can run up a lot of points. But once a team has a big lead and the coach puts in the bench warmers and walk-ons, the offense can grind to a halt. Sometimes a cupcake will outscore a top team in the second half because the coach has pulled all the starters and the bench isn't very good.

You cannot score if you're not on the floor. If the big three are playing fewer minutes per game this fall (to share playing time with the others) will their ppg go down from last year at a rate that corresponds with their decreased playing time?

We shall see that is the exciting part. I think Diamond can score 20 points in 28-30 min a game. I'm sure this season will be really interesting. I think the freshman will get playing time but it won't be to the extent of sacricing the big three's production.

Last edited:
A weak schedule can influence a team's score in two ways. If the starters are playing a lot of minutes, a team can run up a lot of points. But once a team has a big lead and the coach puts in the bench warmers and walk-ons, the offense can grind to a halt. Sometimes a cupcake will outscore a top team in the second half because the coach has pulled all the starters and the bench isn't very good.

Look at both marylands and Baylor players last year and they played lengthy minutes in blow outs. Baylor especially

We've had offensive/shooting/scoring issues for years. There have been a lot of games in the last two/three years where, as someone said above, we barely got to 55-60 points. I very much doubt we'll be in the 80s--we don't have enough three-point shooting to score that well. Some of overestimating the impact of the freshmen as well. One thing Warlick needs to do is give Russell more rest--she played her far too much last year, and Russell ran out of gas in the fourth quarter often last year. She's a big woman--you can't play her nearly the whole game.

1st game starters next year?

Russell, Nared, Dunbar, Deshields, Hayes.

MARK IT DOWN

Be patient with GREEN. Physically she is not where she needs to be yet. I could see her progress to be slow similar to Tucker.

1st game starters next year?

Russell, Nared, Dunbar, Deshields, Hayes.

MARK IT DOWN

You know, I would REALLY REALLY enjoy that! But I don't see it. KD would have to improve / be healthy. I'd say more likely to go with 2 bigs using Greene or Smaller with Evina. ?

Be patient with GREEN. Physically she is not where she needs to be yet. I could see her progress to be slow similar to Tucker.

not the most encouraging analogy given that Tucker never played and then left.....

How many years does Greene have--two?

That surprises me. Tucker had some emotional injuries that had to heal too. I would hope that Green can contribute immediately--certainly more production than we got from Nunn.

I am solely referring to physical progress. She is still noticeably favoring her repaired knee.

I think the Green will score between 6-8 off put backs..Hayes I think will hit a couple shots a game or get to the line because of her quickness and be a nuisance on the defensive end. To me Davis is the X factor her shot is sweet and she can rebound the ball. I think she will score about 6 a game to start off. It's exciting to think about.
i agree wth davis,i watched her play n was very impressed.she reminded me of holdsclaw.if lucky she will surprise us like she did when she was a freshman.we will see

The key to the season will be increased production from the additional two starters and the bench. Last year the big three averaged 49 points in 102 minutes while the rest of the team averaged 24 points in 98 minutes. That will need to increase at least plus ten along with the shooting percentage. The big three went for 46.6 percent. The rest of the team 817 shots for 38 percent. Diamond and Nared didn't shoot particularly well early in the season both did finish strong. We need them both to get their percentage up to 45 percent from 42 percent. Mercedes is just fine at 55 percent. The bench needs up that 38 to at least 43. If all this happens will see about a 10 ppg increase in scoring and that would be 83 ppg which would certainly make a lot of those losses wins.

Reactions: 3 people
Diamond 17ppg
Jaime 16ppg
Cedes 15ppg
Cheridene 10ppg
Evina 8ppg
Annie 6ppg
Meme 5ppg
Rennia 5ppg
Kasi 3ppg
Kortney 2ppg
Harris 2ppg

That is what it would need to look like in order to average 89ppg if we contend for top scoring team in the nation.

I say Diamond, Jaime and Cedes all average between 12-16ppg. I thinkthe big three give up some of their scoring average because of Cheridene's and the froshie's presence... So I think it would be an optimistic outlook for our offense to average close to 75ppg...

Diamond 16ppg
Jaime 13ppg
Cedes 12ppg
Cheridene 8.5ppg
Evina 7ppg
Annie 5ppg
Rennia 5ppg
Meme 3ppg
Kasi 3ppg
Kortney 2ppg
Kamera 2ppg

Give or take a few from each and this would be close to the SEC leading ppg of SC's from last season.

Rennia, Kasi, Kortney and Cheridene would be ones that I think could end up having a bigger role in offensive production than what I listed as well as the big three capable of putting up monster numbers.

I am solely referring to physical progress. She is still noticeably favoring her repaired knee.

The good news is Green is completely committed to her rehab and has been doing everything that comes with it as close to perfection as possible. From what I understand is that her recovery has made bigger and bigger strides and it coincides with her getting in better shape overall.

Reactions: 4 people
That's encouraging news. I wondered if she were mobile enough to drop some weight to facilitate the recovery. I was also curious if she was experiencing pain and swelling or if it was more an issue of mental skittishness.

VN Store

Back