Proposed "tweaks" to basketball rules

CannonVol80

Because I have nothing to add to the discussion of yesterday's softball game and there really isn't a whole lot going on in recruiting as it pertains to the Lady Vols. For your discussion enjoyment!

The rules committee has made a few proposals for changes that I have been hoping to see for several seasons and one that I think just recognizes an existing reality.

First, the proposal that just recognizes what occurs at every game - the committee proposes extending the coach's box to 38' from the current 28' that coaches routinely ignore. Now if the referee's will only hold them to it!

A rule change that I have been hoping for is no reset on the 10 second backcourt clock when the offensive team calls timeout. Now if they will just eliminate the coaches calling timeouts in that circumstance and when the defensive team has put a trap on!

And, if adopted, they might actually make a player exit the lane to avoid a 3-second call.

And, one that will allow Holly to take one more timeout with her at the end of the game - eliminating the use-it or lose-it timeout at half.

One that may hurt the Lady Vols until we get some consistently quicker players. They propose extending the arc from 3' to 4'. My personal thought is that this will benefit the quicker guards in their drives to the basket and may result in more blocks being called.

I'm looking forward to seeing how many of the proposals actually make it into the rule book for the next season.

I'll be interested to see how many people agree with the 10 second rule change!

Jim

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks,Jim,for this info. All proposals seem to be merited,especially the ten second rule. The three second "hot spot" rule has been abused for years. Could be a good way to fix it,if enforced.

I think having to call an emergency time out is enough of a penalty, so i don't like the reset rule. Ok with everything else.

I thought they were considering going to a 15 second reset after an offensive rebound. I think that would be a good rule change.

I think they should do away with the shot clock altogether, which would allow the slow twitch players aka white atheletes to play on an even field. jmvvho

Last edited:
until the committee can explain how two centers pushing and shoving for position without a foul being called and then two hand touch tag by guards playing defense and driving guards initiating contact as they shoot why worry on getting both feet out of the lane in three seconds.

Reactions: 5 people
I think they should do away with the shot clock altogether, which would allow the slow twitch players aka white atheletes to play on an even field. jmvvho

Smh. Gule the Greek, you're gonna get fahred faster than HW. But I smile at your posts all the time. Thanks, man.

Reactions: 1 person
not Greek but I do like Greek salad w' anchovies.

:( But, can eat em no more on salt restricted diet, damn old age s""t

Ole Gule is up since 4:45 to get the little gule out the door on his first drive ever to UF alone. He has a two day "get Acquainted" trip for incoming freshmen. Google maps better not fail him or he'll wind up lost on the highway. Little idiot. lol

Last edited:
Ole Gule is up since 4:45 to get the little gule out the door on his first drive ever to UF alone. He has a two day "get Acquainted" trip for incoming freshmen. Google maps better not fail him or he'll wind up lost on the highway. Little idiot. lol

Help me, gule. How many awards and scholarships at last count?

Good luck to him🤢🐊🤢.

Wifey said he has at least 5. At graduation, he was 8th out of 247 who actually made it to graduation day with a 4.25 gpa. He's the smartest kidlet of the four we had but also the most stubborn, lazy. :(

With just a little more effort in turning in assignments on time and brown nosing his teachers, I bet he'd have finished top dog.

until the committee can explain how two centers pushing and shoving for position without a foul being called and then two hand touch tag by guards playing defense and driving guards initiating contact as they shoot why worry on getting both feet out of the lane in three seconds.

television timeouts.
They have ruined good coaches.
Coaches will wait on the tv timeout and en-dure, instead of, end-a run.
Refs have literally stopped play to do a tv timeout.

Along with the four given timeouts, there are four end of the qtr timeouts that are fully network timeouts and charged to no-one. Add these to the in-game four and your have 8 TO's.....Modify in-game timeouts per team to 2 or 3 (total) instead of four, for a televised game.

Reactions: 2 people
shouldn't they just call the foul on the coach ? instead of making a new rule first ?

10 second back court ,is this the one that lets them advance the ball by a time out ? I totally hate this rule,if it is the same one

I've been tiered of the NCAA doing everything they can to improve scores per game,instead of solid defense,but I guess scoring as many points as you can is a better show on TV? beats me as to why :)

shouldn't they just call the foul on the coach ? instead of making a new rule first ?

10 second back court ,is this the one that lets them advance the ball by a time out ? I totally hate this rule,if it is the same one

I've been tiered of the NCAA doing everything they can to improve scores per game,instead of solid defense,but I guess scoring as many points as you can is a better show on TV? beats me as to why :)

10 second back court is a rule which the ball has to pass the half court line before 10 seconds runs off the shot clock.

yea but what is the point ? you have the 30 second shot clock

does it really matter if you can't pass the ball ? in bounds

VN Store

Back