Mg 55

Kinger

If every team we played walked her every at bat, we would lose every game. Very sad.

Need to set the table for her. I like Holcomb in front of Gregg. Having Vines or any big hitter bet behind her is good as well.

Gregg walked quite a lot this year--34 times. I would have sworn the number was higher as it seemed like she was walked /at least/ once a game. She actually walked one fewer time this year than last, which is surprising. The Weeklys did a smart thing by moving Vines into the 4 hole to protect Gregg, and that worked: Vines had a big year--59 RBIs and a .385 average. That's one big reason it's not wise to walk Gregg--Vines is good. And another is that Leach is often on base in front of her--and then you leave yourself vulnerable to a big inning. Leach led the SEC in runs scored.

But the OP's point--that our middle of the order hitting was bad--is valid. We had Geer and Seggern in the 5 and 6 spots--key spots--and they both just went in the toilet the last 4+ weeks of the season. Seggern was solid/good through the bama series--she won one of the bama games with a walk-off hit--but fell into a pretty bad slump after that, and Geer just seemed bad for the last half of the year. She was well over .300 through the first half of the season, and then lost it. I think Seggern may have just hit the wall--the long season was perhaps too much for her--and we played some good teams, with good (and sometimes very good) pitching. She was a freshman--understandable. Geer's deep slump was harder to understand. And then our 7/8 spots were equally problematic. You can live with your 7/8 hitters not being great. But when you 5/6 hitters are making outs consistently, you're going to be out of the tournament.

VN Store

Back