Mehgan Gregg top 3 finalist for POY

tnburban

Last edited:
Meghan Gregg was announced as a top 3 finalist for national player of the year. :good!:

Barnhill is the favorite. Just up to voters to value one position more than the other. You can't compare anything stat wise between the two.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/052417aaa.html

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/News/2017/May/24/Top-3-Finalists-announced-for-USA-Softball-Collegiate-Player-of-the-Year

If it is not Gregg that would be a travesty! She can do it all and a pitcher only has to perfect one thing.. Barnhills time will come but a repeat by Gregg will be difficult for any player. I will go out on a limb and JUST NAME MEGAN GREGG AS NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!!:):):)

Reactions: 2 people
Many softball fans seem to think Barnhill is a lock, and while she's had an amazing season, so has Gregg--and you can't compare a pitcher to a hitter, really. I'm biased, of course!

If it is not Gregg that would be a travesty! She can do it all and a pitcher only has to perfect one thing.. Barnhills time will come but a repeat by Gregg will be difficult for any player. I will go out on a limb and JUST NAME MEGAN GREGG AS NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!!:):):)

Devil's advocate here...so Monica Abbott shouldn't have won it in 2007? :)

Just going by the numbers I would pick Megan Good. Amazing 2 way stats.

As a pitcher:
38-3 record .63 ERA

244 Innings pitched 125 hits 271 Ks 35 BBs

As a batter:
.383 Batting average

69 Hits 12 HRs 58 RBI 28 BB only 12 Ks

As a fielder:

.988 with 1 error in 81 chances

Reactions: 1 person
Just going by the numbers I would pick Megan Good. Amazing 2 way stats.

As a pitcher:
38-3 record .63 ERA

244 Innings pitched 125 hits 271 Ks 35 BBs

As a batter:
.383 Batting average

69 Hits 12 HRs 58 RBI 28 BB only 12 Ks

As a fielder:

.988 with 1 error in 81 chances

Imagine Barnhill's stats if she pitched in the Colonial Athletic Association against the likes of Charleston, Elon, Towson, etc. Or Gregg's batting average against the same?

There is a ULL player, DJ Sanders, that led the nation in HRs and RBIs, but is not a finalist. ULL fans are in shock, but imagine the stats Gregg could put up playing three game series against Appy St, South Alabama, Troy, etc...

Barnhill and Gregg did it not only in non-conference games, but also playing in the SEC that had all 13 teams in the postseason.

Felt sure someone would go there. Monica won it in 2007 and had 4 years of great pitching. Maybe she should have won it earlier but she did not. :loco:

It's been talked about before, not sure how "high up" it got, but there was talk about having a "pitcher of the year" and "position player of the year" at one point.

Just so hard to value one over the other.

Imagine Barnhill's stats if she pitched in the Colonial Athletic Association against the likes of Charleston, Elon, Towson, etc. Or Gregg's batting average against the same?

There is a ULL player, DJ Sanders, that led the nation in HRs and RBIs, but is not a finalist. ULL fans are in shock, but imagine the stats Gregg could put up playing three game series against Appy St, South Alabama, Troy, etc...

Barnhill and Gregg did it not only in non-conference games, but also playing in the SEC that had all 13 teams in the postseason.

Then nobody outside the SEC or PAC 12 should be considered.
They are all great players. Good is a 2 way player, and an exceptional one both ways. She did not play the schedule Florida or UT played but they are 13th in RPI so the schedule had to be decent didn't it? She did beat Auburn 1-0 on a 1 hitter with 10 Ks. She was 2-3 against Carlson of Auburn this year, who is statistically one of the 3 best pitchers in the SEC.
Gregg is an awesome player and I hope she wins it, but don't make out like she doesn't fatten her stats some on the non conference schedule like everybody else. She has 58 RBI this year in non con games. She has 19 RBI against SEC teams.

Then nobody outside the SEC or PAC 12 should be considered.
They are all great players. Good is a 2 way player, and an exceptional one both ways. She did not play the schedule Florida or UT played but they are 13th in RPI so the schedule had to be decent didn't it? She did beat Auburn 1-0 on a 1 hitter with 10 Ks. She was 2-3 against Carlson of Auburn this year, who is statistically one of the 3 best pitchers in the SEC.
Gregg is an awesome player and I hope she wins it, but don't make out like she doesn't fatten her stats some on the non conference schedule like everybody else. She has 58 RBI this year in non con games. She has 19 RBI against SEC teams.

I can and can't argue with that. :)

Sorry, it's just so hard to compare not only different positions, but different levels of competition. Regardless of who wins the award, there is no right or wrong answer this year. Pitcher vs SS vs Pitcher/1B

It's been talked about before, not sure how "high up" it got, but there was talk about having a "pitcher of the year" and "position player of the year" at one point.

Just so hard to value one over the other.

That should happen!!:thud:

Sorry, it's just so hard to compare not only different positions, but different levels of competition. Regardless of who wins the award, there is no right or wrong answer this year. Pitcher vs SS vs Pitcher/1B

Oh I agree. And I was partly playing devil's advocate. Very tough to choose. My heart is with Gregg. I think Barnhill is the single most dominant force, the way she can affect a game. Good is unusual for her 2 way ability. They would all make good choices:yes:

I did not look back to see who won the award the year Raven was in top 3. I would assume that it was a pitcher then as well. At that time I would have traded who ever it was for Raven any day of the week. She was a great one in my opinion. I agree that all 3 should be there as well and I don't know if the James Madison player would be a two way player on some of the top teams or not and it is irrelevant. Not sure when the final vote is but if the series is over and Florida wins I would think Barnhill all the way since JM is out. :thud:

I did not look back to see who won the award the year Raven was in top 3. I would assume that it was a pitcher then as well. At that time I would have traded who ever it was for Raven any day of the week. She was a great one in my opinion. I agree that all 3 should be there as well and I don't know if the James Madison player would be a two way player on some of the top teams or not and it is irrelevant. Not sure when the final vote is but if the series is over and Florida wins I would think Barnhill all the way since JM is out. :thud:

Ricketts. Who dominated in the circle and was a pretty good batter.

And sometimes a player like Good will choose to play at a smaller school so that she can pitch and bat. Not many SEC schools have pitchers that bat. I know several girls that could be serviceable pitchers at top ranked schools are looking at smaller schools where they can do more than just pitch. Not saying it's like that everywhere, but look at UT, Caylon Arnold was a dang good batter in HS but won't even sniff an AB at UT. Same for Erin Gabriel. But if they went to a, say, UTC, or Western Carolina, or ETSU, I'm willing to bet their bats would be in the lineup.

Ricketts. Who dominated in the circle and was a pretty good batter.

And sometimes a player like Good will choose to play at a smaller school so that she can pitch and bat. Not many SEC schools have pitchers that bat. I know several girls that could be serviceable pitchers at top ranked schools are looking at smaller schools where they can do more than just pitch. Not saying it's like that everywhere, but look at UT, Caylon Arnold was a dang good batter in HS but won't even sniff an AB at UT. Same for Erin Gabriel. But if they went to a, say, UTC, or Western Carolina, or ETSU, I'm willing to bet their bats would be in the lineup.

Yes she was and deserved the award as much as anyone. I really don't put Barnhill in her class YET! She may get there but not now. I really cannot remember the last pitcher who played both ways for us other than Rainey and she was a player and pitcher when needed. I think I remember Arnold did PH for us one time however but cant remember the circumstances.
I know florida has a pitcher who plays everday and I believe I remember TAM having a good one as well. Bama had a good one a few years back I think. I am sure there are others as well.
Good may be good enough to do so in the upper echelon or softball as well. Again when you get to the final 3 two will have to lose and their fans will be POd as well!:rock:

if Meghan was named poy in the sec how can barnhill beat her out of player of the year then.

VN Store

Back