Softball: Gabby Sprang

larjoranj

I CAN'T REMEMBER
Has anybody actually seen her pitch? She plays for the Georgia Impact in summer ball and plays for Rosemount High in Minnesota. I'm just wondering what we're getting. At one time FloSoftball had her ranked the #3 player and #2 pitcher in her class, but there is not much recent info on her. I noticed she did not make 1st team all state in 2016, she was 2nd team. That seems odd for a pitcher ranked #2 nationally not to make 1st team in her state. Her high school team has never made the state tournament. And her record thru 7 games this spring was 4-3. Hate to be a downer, just wondering if we are getting a pitcher with the potential to become our ace or just a good, solid pitcher

Reactions: 1 person
It's hard to know. I assume the Weeklys will see her pitch this summer with the Georgia team. College commitments are made so early these days--often as a freshman in high school--that you as a coach can't be sure what kind of player you are getting. Kids who are standouts at age 15 aren't necessarily going to be super at age 18. You see that a lot. The competition gets better with each passing year, and the prospect has to get better. Some kids plateau at 15 and by 18 are meh. Things change over time.

I'm sure we remember Bria Bush--the top pitching prospect we signed the same year as Moss. She apparently did not have it when she got here and left quickly. I'm not sure she even pitched once for us--maybe once? I never saw her pitch. I think she's now pitching for some small college in Georgia. And even if you, as coach, see that an incoming signee doesn't seem quite as good as she was a couple of years earlier, there's not much you can do about it as nearly all the other top prospects have long since signed with other schools. Mind you, I'm not suggesting Sprang may not pan out--I have no idea, and of course we all hope she is great. She is 6' tall. That kind of height can work for or against you, depending on your technique/delivery. Monica Abbott is very tall and thin. If Sprang is even three-quarters as good, she'll be fine.

Coming off a great week at PGF 16U Nationals, in which she led her team to a tie for 5th place, Gabby Sprang showed why she's a Top 10 player in the 2017 Hot 100.

The 6-foot-1 lefty pitched 29 innings and in those five games only allowed one earned run… one! The Tennessee commit also had 29 K's and a 4-1 record.

FloSoftball caught up with Gabby at the Huntington Beach fields to get the latest on the standout from the Midwest…

FloSoftball.com: Being from Minnesota, how did you end up playing for the Georgia Impact-Jeffreys team and how do you enjoy being a Northern girl playing with a Southern team?

Gabby Sprang: Well, I got on this team because my brother played hockey for a coach who coached for the Georgia Impact, and he kinda hooked me up and got me invited to play a showcase. I love playing with them. It's fun because it's different. Obviously they talk differently than I do, and they think I talk differently!

FS: Who is the toughest club opponent you've ever played and when did you play them?
GS: I'd say the Atlanta Vipers. We played them in Colorado this year and we lost.

FS: What's your favorite pitch and why?
GS: My drop ball because I can strike people out with it.

FS: What's your most embarrassing moment on the field?
GS: I'd maybe have to say when I was pitching in a game a long time ago and threw the ball behind me instead of forward.

FS: How does being one of four Gabbys playing for the Impact team work out?
GS: Everyone calls all of us "Gabby" so anytime someone says "Gabby," we all turn our heads. Sometimes they call us by our last names, but usually it's just "Gabby."

FS: What's been your favorite place to travel with summer ball?
GS: Probably this California tournament. It's the nicest weather. It's alway nice, not too hot, not too cold.

FS: Have you always been on the taller side and how have you felt about it?
GS: I'm 6-foot now and, yeah, I've always been tall since I was little. I love it: if you're tall you might as well flaunt it! Don't be afraid of it. You're fine. I love it actually.

FS: You're committed to Tennessee now… what stood out about the Vols?
GS: Probably their coaches and their culture. They love Lady Vols softball and it's all about softball. It's not just about football or basketball, they also love Lady Vols softball so that really drew me there and I just loved it on my trip.

FS: Being a pitcher committed to Tennessee, have you ever met Monica Abbott?
GS: No, I haven't met her. I wish! I hope it happens once I get to Tennessee.

FS: What are you interested in studying at Tennessee and why?
GS: Sports broadcasting because I like to talk and I like to find out about people and interview them. And I love sports!

Reactions: 4 people
All good, whiteoak--but I think that U16 record you cite is at least a year old, isn't it? She must be playing U18 now, I should think.

Coming off a great week at PGF 16U Nationals, in which she led her team to a tie for 5th place, Gabby Sprang showed why she's a Top 10 player in the 2017 Hot 100.

The 6-foot-1 lefty pitched 29 innings and in those five games only allowed one earned run… one! The Tennessee commit also had 29 K's and a 4-1 record.

That article is from August 2015

She was only 13 and just starting 8th grade when she verbally committed to UT. I read somewhere that her HS division in Minn is supposedly the toughest in the state and half the runs allowed her last few seasons were unearned; half the outs were strikeouts. So maybe she was an ace strikeout pitcher on a team with lesser talent?

Found some stats for those interested.

2015:

118 2/3 Innings Pitched
51 Hits
134 Ks
22 BBs
.41 ERA

2016:

110 IP
52 Hits
167 Ks
40 BBs
.76 ERA

2017:

59 2/3 IP
31 Hits
98 Ks
21 BBs
.94 ERA

Stats from Minnesota StarTribune Softball Hub

http://www.mnsoftballhub.com/stats/...b=division_instance_player_stats&tool=2346301

Dramatically fewer innings pitched this year ? and a lot less innings pitched in her career than most hammers, at least around middle Tennessee. Maybe just a short softball season in Minnesota?

Hard to tell what any of this means. Cat Hosfield was the national record holder for Ks in a season with over 650 in 250 + innings one year at Riverdale. It didn't completely translate to college. I guess we'll find out what we've got soon enough. Looking forward to the fall schedule to get a looksee

Found some stats for those interested.

2015:

118 2/3 Innings Pitched
51 Hits
134 Ks
22 BBs
.41 ERA

2016:

110 IP
52 Hits
167 Ks
40 BBs
.76 ERA

2017:

59 2/3 IP
31 Hits
98 Ks
21 BBs
.94 ERA

Stats from Minnesota StarTribune Softball Hub

http://www.mnsoftballhub.com/stats/...b=division_instance_player_stats&tool=2346301

Dramatically fewer innings pitched this year ? and a lot less innings pitched in her career than most hammers, at least around middle Tennessee. Maybe just a short softball season in Minnesota?

Hard to tell what any of this means. Cat Hosfield was the national record holder for Ks in a season with over 650 in 250 + innings one year at Riverdale. It didn't completely translate to college. I guess we'll find out what we've got soon enough. Looking forward to the fall schedule to get a looksee

She is a lefty and that means something. Read where she is the first lefty even recruited since the Great Monica!!!:clapping::loco:

You wonder why her innings pitched was way down this year--an injury perhaps? And she was less effective. I wonder if she is pitching with the Georgia Impact again this summer.

Has anybody actually seen her pitch? She plays for the Georgia Impact in summer ball and plays for Rosemount High in Minnesota. I'm just wondering what we're getting. At one time FloSoftball had her ranked the #3 player and #2 pitcher in her class, but there is not much recent info on her. I noticed she did not make 1st team all state in 2016, she was 2nd team. That seems odd for a pitcher ranked #2 nationally not to make 1st team in her state. Her high school team has never made the state tournament. And her record thru 7 games this spring was 4-3. Hate to be a downer, just wondering if we are getting a pitcher with the potential to become our ace or just a good, solid pitcher

Recruiting rankings are based much more on travel ball rather than high school. In some cases, they're based completely on travel ball and camps.

Arnold's Maryville squad didn't even make it past the Regional semi's last year, so I'm sure Sprang will be just fine.

FloSoftball's rankings are not on par to what Football/Basketball or even remotely close to baseball rankings. Their sample size is solely based on travel ball teams that subscribe to their site. I've seen a number of the "top 100" that will never sniff a college ball field and don't even start for their TB teams.

Arnold's senior year stats 21-2 with a 0.56 era in 149 innings. She struck out 336 batters and had a .085 batting average against. Gave up 42 hits and 32 walks.

Last edited:
It was suggested in a Minnesota sports story prior to this past season that she had not been as dominant as many expected. Maybe there will be some information on her and her Georgia Impact team this summer. I think she's playing with one of the Impact teams this summer, but don't know which one.

Gabby Sprang is 6'1, left handed and already considered a strikeout pitcher. With the Weekly's tutelage along with being able to play behind two pitchers who are establishing themselves as some of the best pitchers in college I have every belief that she will be the top recruit many expect her to be.

This article discusses the 4-3 start and the fact that she has never been to the state tourney in almost 6 years of varsity ball. Product of playing on a team that she carries almost the entire load of expectations and gets little run support against the best teams along with having to play in the best conference in the state, one of the best in the country and basically has to fight her way out of a section that includes pretty much every state title contender.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/2...me-is-missing-just-one-thing-a-trip-to-state/

She will give us a solid three pitchers next season. Even if her era is around 2.00 as a freshman she will certainly be able to relieve some of the pressure on Moss and Arnold and their work load. I suspect by her junior season she will be one of the dominating left handers in the SEC.

Gabby Sprang is 6'1, left handed and already considered a strikeout pitcher. With the Weekly's tutelage along with being able to play behind two pitchers who are establishing themselves as some of the best pitchers in college I have every belief that she will be the top recruit many expect her to be.

This article discusses the 4-3 start and the fact that she has never been to the state tourney in almost 6 years of varsity ball. Product of playing on a team that she carries almost the entire load of expectations and gets little run support against the best teams along with having to play in the best conference in the state, one of the best in the country and basically has to fight her way out of a section that includes pretty much every state title contender.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/2...me-is-missing-just-one-thing-a-trip-to-state/

Hope she does well. I'd love to find a summer schedule and try to see her pitch if she plays nearby.
As to her playing behind 2 established pitchers-my hope is she is good enough to be the hammer by tournament time next year. We have a recent history of our freshmen pitchers coming in and being the ace their first year.
I'm hoping by conference time next year teams look at our rotation and think "Oh Sh*t"

As to her playing behind 2 established pitchers-my hope is she is good enough to be the hammer by tournament time next year. We have a recent history of our freshmen pitchers coming in and being the ace their first year.
I'm hoping by conference time next year teams look at our rotation and think "Oh Sh*t"

I spoke with a friend of mine, whose DD is heading to Minn to play softball. He said she plays in a hard district and gets no support from her team. He said they would be happy if she came to Minn to play.

Georgia Impact would not accommodate her living 1,000 miles away from the rest of the team unless she was a stud. If you're a mid-major level player you don't get those concessions. And the impact organization knows talent.

VN Store

Back