Vols vs. Florida Softball Thread

armchair

Here's the acid test for UT. We've got a very good team, but it's not clear if we can be a serious post-season contender. This series--against the best pitching staff in the country--will give us a pretty serious indication. We beat a good bama staff twice with late walk-off wins, but it was a tough series and this one will be the same. I think florida's top pitcher throws illegal pitches--she replants her foot--but I very much doubt that the umpires call it. And I doubt the Weeklys will say much about it. The first game is always H-U-G-E. Let's win it.

Reactions: 3 people
yep...sorry, you're post was so complete...I didn't know what else to say, and I didn't want to leave you alone...:pepper::pepper::dance2::dance2::clapping::rock::rock:

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Who ever is there this weekend, when Barnhill is pitching, if she does her hop and replant scream out "illegal pitch!" Get the umps attention. Wish I could be there but work has sent me 1,500 miles away for this week and next.

This is the acid test for sure. Their pitching is so good we really have to find away to get runners on base ahead of our top hitters. I'm more nervous about this series than I've been about any this year. A super regional is the prize riding on this series. It really matters. Don't know if we can win this series but I sure our girls are gonna give it all they've got. Fun things to see this weekend!

Last edited:
Just hope we can compete with best in the whole USA.....and come out with two victories if not three.

We'll get the girl with the 0.17 era tonight I'm sure. We need to up that for her some hopefully the bats can get it done and the pitching will hold them.

Here's the acid test for UT. We've got a very good team, but it's not clear if we can be a serious post-season contender. This series--against the best pitching staff in the country--will give us a pretty serious indication. We beat a good bama staff twice with late walk-off wins, but it was a tough series and this one will be the same. I think florida's top pitcher throws illegal pitches--she replants her foot--but I very much doubt that the umpires call it. And I doubt the Weeklys will say much about it. The first game is always H-U-G-E. Let's win it.

Agree it won't be called at this point in the season. Maybe a point of emphasis next season? Coaches probably won't invest the energy fighting this kind of subjective call. Just surprised it's tolerated from #1 pitcher on #1 team. Maybe I just answered my own question. Lol

The TN fans will probably be on her a bit over her crow hop. Let's see. LV pretty tough at home.

Last edited:
Anybody else think we might see some "small ball" tonight? I was trying to think what I would do if I were in Ralph/Karen's shoes and I think that's it...small ball to get RISP and then let our strongest hitters swing away most of the time. Depending on how the BO falls we might have to stick with small ball through the softer parts of our BO.

Just a thought... :unsure:

The other thought I had was to get our girls to shorten up on the bats and their swings and try to punch the ball into the gaps. Combined with a few bunts and slaps that might be a way to score some runs...which we'll have to have to win as the gaters will score some runs the best we can do.

Anybody else think we might see some "small ball" tonight? I was trying to think what I would do if I were in Ralph/Karen's shoes and I think that's it...small ball to get RISP and then let our strongest hitters swing away most of the time. Depending on how the BO falls we might have to stick with small ball through the softer parts of our BO.

Just a thought... :unsure:

I think we'll see Holcomb in left and Vines at first, with McSwain the DH and Lockman behind the plate. That's not much of a change but gives us another speedy slapper. We need to get the bat on the ball and make florida play some defense. If we are striking out a lot it is going to be a long night. That is one problem with McClain--she strikes out quite a bit against good pitching.

We have to have some offensive production tonight and swinging for the fences, as McSwain and at times Vines tend to do, it will indeed be a VERY long night.

C-hyMe6XYAEaXMM.jpg:large

I always worry about Matty early...she tends to give up and run or two. Matty is getting behind the count a bit much early...hopefully she can get settled down.

Barnhill is TOUGH! Looks like she's toned down her "hop" early...pretty good toe drag this inning.

Okay....do people not post here during the games? This is WAY different than the baseball board. Sad.

Minor damage? Any runs for florida, with their pitching, is major damage. Moss with a disastrous start.

A little surprised by the lineup. The Weeklys want to maximize the at bats for our two best hitters, which is smart. Didn't think we see Rowland--would love to see her hit the ball.

VN Store

Back