Warlick focused on team, not herself

kamoshika

Warlick, who has two years remaining on her contract, offered praise for Tennessee athletic director John Currie this past Thursday while laying out a stay-the-course approach for the season ahead. "I'm not going into this year thinking, 'You better win because you're going to lose your job'," Warlick said. "I'm going into this season (thinking), 'How can I get this group better? How can I get this team more focused? How can we all get on the same page?'

...Some of the problems that plagued the Lady Vols during a 20-12 season that ended last month with a second-round loss in the NCAA tournament will be helped by the arrival of reinforcements in the coming months.

..."That's going to help us, when we have four more bodies out there and we can do a little bit more in practice and some things different on the court," Warlick said. "We're going to make the pace more like we typically have it, up-tempo. We're going to press more, just some things that this team is very capable of. When you have more bodies, you can do what you're really good at."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/apr/10/warlick-focused-team-not-herself/422068/

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, she's going to do this and do that on her continued march to program mediocrity.

Reactions: 8 people
"How can I get this group better", " How can I get this team more focused", " How can we all get on the same page" ?

If a head coach of 5 years, an assistant under CPS for a long time, does not know the answers to all of the above questions by now, she never will. She is not qualified to be head coach of our beloved Lady Vols. Nothing is going to change until CHW is gone. Sorry to always be negative about this subject but it is the truth and you all know it. She makes big money and should be held to a very high standard.

Reactions: 12 people
The Ad should tell Holly that she has to make the final four with the team coming back or she will be replaced. No reason to not say anything Holly needs an ultimatum season and this year should be it.

Reactions: 1 person
"How can I get this group better", " How can I get this team more focused", " How can we all get on the same page" ?

If a head coach of 5 years, an assistant under CPS for a long time, does not know the answers to all of the above questions by now, she never will. She is not qualified to be head coach of our beloved Lady Vols. Nothing is going to change until CHW is gone. Sorry to always be negative about this subject but it is the truth and you all know it. She makes big money and should be held to a very high standard.

Can we hire Vic Schaeffer? He can beat UCONN and USC with the LV talent. No doubt about it.

Reactions: 3 people
she is not saying anything different than any coach says other than she is not worried about her job. All coaches every year know that each team can be different even with same players returning. She is right on that with all the players she will have in Practice and games this team should push tempo both offense and defense. Wait and see on results if she can grow as a coach on game day.

Reactions: 2 people
Can we hire Vic Schaeffer? He can beat UCONN and USC with the LV talent. No doubt about it.

And then pulled one of the worst coaching blunders in finals history. (And, by the by, he lost to UConn by 60 last year. One win makes up for that much bad? Then why doesn't Holly get the same consideration? How is it that beating Schaeffer's team and the champs doesn't count?)

Reactions: 7 people

You know, complaining about her results I can understand. Too many losses? Sure, I get it. But, good grief... she throws out a few questions that every coach asks every year ("team chemistry" is the phrase that gets thrown around to cover those kinds of questions) and gets attacked like this is somehow the mark of a loser. It's not. And all it really meant was, "I'm focused on the team, not my job security."

Reactions: 9 people
Warlick, who has two years remaining on her contract, offered praise for Tennessee athletic director John Currie this past Thursday while laying out a stay-the-course approach for the season ahead. "I'm not going into this year thinking, 'You better win because you're going to lose your job'," Warlick said. "I'm going into this season (thinking), 'How can I get this group better? How can I get this team more focused? How can we all get on the same page?'

...Some of the problems that plagued the Lady Vols during a 20-12 season that ended last month with a second-round loss in the NCAA tournament will be helped by the arrival of reinforcements in the coming months.

..."That's going to help us, when we have four more bodies out there and we can do a little bit more in practice and some things different on the court," Warlick said. "We're going to make the pace more like we typically have it, up-tempo. We're going to press more, just some things that this team is very capable of. When you have more bodies, you can do what you're really good at."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/apr/10/warlick-focused-team-not-herself/422068/

Sounds like a coach who thinks she is on the hot seat. There seem to be an excuse,in her comments, in defense of mediocrity within the program. Not having enough players to practice was on Holly for the donut recruiting year. Also since the team practices against a line up of male player, what stopped her from doing all the things in practice that she plan to do next year? Lack of a bench full of players does not stop coaches from coaching players up to their potential.

Reactions: 5 people
Sounds like a coach who thinks she is on the hot seat. There seem to be an excuse,in her comments, in defense of mediocrity within the program. Not having enough players to practice was on Holly for the donut recruiting year. Also since the team practices against a line up of male player, what stopped her from doing all the things in practice that she plan to do next year? Lack of a bench full of players does not stop coaches from coaching players up to their potential.

It's funny how some people like to support what Holly does wrong. Some people say "stop Holly bashing". Either those people never played sports in their life or don't know what they're talking about, because I've never seen a sports whereby someone coached a team for 5yrs and kept on decreasing instead of growing with the high profile program she was given to.

Reactions: 8 people

teacherdean, exactly. That article read like any other article after an LV loss during the past 5 years. She's a broken record.

But she is our coach for now.... Until the walls finally come crashing down around her. That should not happen because of our Big 3 of Diamond, Mercedes & Jaime and a fantastic supporting cast. So if Holly messes that up?

That should seal her fate for good. Even the Holly fans are going to have to admit defeat with keeping her on.

GOLadyVols!:)

It's funny how some people like to support what Holly does wrong. Some people say "stop Holly bashing". Either those people never played sports in their life or don't know what they're talking about, because I've never seen a sports whereby someone coached a team for 5yrs and kept on decreasing instead of growing with the high profile program she was given to.

When keeping it real hurts their feelings.:yess:

Thanks sisaq for your common sense post. :rock:

Exactly my thoughts we have 5 male practice players what on earth can we not practice with 8 girls on the roster :question::question::question:

Actually, I'm one of those people and I played since the age of 5 and am a current coach. There are many factors that go into the success of a season one being health of your roster. Name one of the five seasons she's had her entire roster available to her?! You look at the games and final scores and reach your conclusions about her and that's fine, but it's not the full story. Here's a question, if your spouse is injured do you think the house work or bills or kids will be taken care of the way you both do it together? Of course not, how is this any different in sports?!

Reactions: 7 people
AD needs to buy her out and let her go. Hire Kara Lawson or Candice Parker. Holly is way over her head.

Sisaq

I don't agree with Holly most of the time, I think she has done a poor job especially the past 2 seasons. I've bashed her here and called for her head more than once.

What good has it done? Made me look bad, hurt others feelings, caused trouble, probably caused potential recruits to rethink.

I think it is time to lay off the negative postings. Let time go by as it always does and let Holly rise or fall on her own energy, not the negative hate that flows around here 24/7

my $0.02

Reactions: 13 people
sisaq

i don't agree with holly most of the time, i think she has done a poor job especially the past 2 seasons. I've bashed her here and called for her head more than once.

What good has it done? Made me look bad, hurt others feelings, caused trouble, probably caused potential recruits to rethink.

I think it is time to lay off the negative postings. Let time go by as it always does and let holly rise or fall on her own energy, not the negative hate that flows around here 24/7

my $0.02

10/4

Grow up, you fiddleheads.

We've had more than enough Holly bashing.

She is the one doing the bashing, standing on the sideline whistling with those stretchy pants on bashing us to the bottom of the SEC. I don't think we have had enough until I see her tail lights instead of her head lights.

Actually, I'm one of those people and I played since the age of 5 and am a current coach. There are many factors that go into the success of a season one being health of your roster. Name one of the five seasons she's had her entire roster available to her?! You look at the games and final scores and reach your conclusions about her and that's fine, but it's not the full story. Here's a question, if your spouse is injured do you think the house work or bills or kids will be taken care of the way you both do it together? Of course not, how is this any different in sports?!

Do you have a five star All American spouse you can bring off the bench like Holly always had? If so there shouldn't be such a drop off.

I hate to fall back on the injury excuses..... and here is another one.... I hear "Tea being out has crippled us" or "Diamond really has not been 100%"... to which I would say.... well then have a bench such that you go to your #2 PG (which i know we do not have) ... and if DD isn't 100% then sit her out ... why play an injured player?

No excuses from Dawn or Muffet coming down the stretch having lost their stud players due to injury.... Injuries are part of the game..... everyone has them.... we need to concentrate on playing basketball and not giving cover to our coaching staff.....

Are injuries the cause of our losses last year to Penn State, Mississippi, Va Tech, Alabama (twice), etc etc....

Do you have a five star All American spouse you can bring off the bench like Holly always had? If so there shouldn't be such a drop off.

What 5* recruit has Holly had to bring off the bench? Last year they lose Jasmine Jones early in the season, DD was still coming back from her shin injury, MR had sat out an entire year due to foot surgery, Andraya Carter was banged up and the list goes on. This team has endured bad break after bad break and YOU negavols are relentless in your attacks as well. If you don't have anything nice to say how about you do what you mother told you (or should've growing up) and not say anything at all!

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back