Kara Lawson chosen as coach of the 3x3 U18 World Championship Team

Christyn Williams and Aquira Decosta! They are my top two players for 2018... Both have Tennessee on their short lists. Christyn isn't as much of a UConn lock as some seem to think and Tennessee has been pretty high on her list from the get go.

Louisville and UCLA seem to be pretty strong competitors for Decosta. Our staff is all in on both and now we have a former LV coaching them in a big international event.... Good.

Reactions: 2 people
Choosing Kara to coach the team is an interesting development. I admit I have not really paid much attention to coach credentials for this level of basketball but is there a precident for selecting a national coach with no previous coaching experience? I'm not questioning the selection. It might be the greatest selection ever. Just wondering.

Reactions: 1 person
I have always thought she would be a great coach for the lady Vols. I really hope one day this happens. She has the IT factor and her attitude on the court mirrored Pat's coaching. One day hopefully.

Reactions: 7 people
Hopefully this can help with recruiting

#2 and #6 overall rated by hoop girls for 2018! And Lawson in their ear teaching them the game! Don't forget Destiny has changed her comitment ! Can she talk DeCosta to stay out west with her or Aquira talk her to come to UT? I think Westbrook has a stronger pull ? Time will tell 🤔

I have always thought she would be a great coach for the lady Vols. I really hope one day this happens. She has the IT factor and her attitude on the court mirrored Pat's coaching. One day hopefully.

I have always thought that any coach at Tennessee should have winning experiences coaching at the D! college level. While I think Lawson knows basketball as well, if not better, than most of the top level coaches in women’s basketball, she does not have any coaching at the D! level. I don’t think that she wants to make a living as a college coach. She has the best gig you can image with her current position with none of the pitfalls college coaches face today. She would be foolish to pass up her current position with ESPN to gain coaching experience as an assistant coach at any college.

Reactions: 3 people
What if Kara could convince DeCosta, Williams or Littleton to chose Tenn. That would be a slam dunk!!!! LOL:rock::rock:

#2 and #6 overall rated by hoop girls for 2018! And Lawson in their ear teaching them the game! Don't forget Destiny has changed her comitment ! Can she talk DeCosta to stay out west with her or Aquira talk her to come to UT? I think Westbrook has a stronger pull ? Time will tell 🤔

Decosta is a big fan of te'a cooper & diamond, christyn williams has been a fan of diamond since her freshmen season at UNC.

Lawson is on the way to take over vols. EX lady vols angry of losing...
I would love for it to be someone like Lawson. I know one thing she would be super tough on the team. If you not here to give it your all you can leave. That's how she played on the court!

Decosta is a big fan of te'a cooper & diamond, christyn williams has been a fan of diamond since her freshmen season at UNC.

If DD had another year to play with them...that might help? But she will be gone when they get here. But she still might have some influence on new recruits. 🙏

Tea will have another year!

I have always thought that any coach at Tennessee should have winning experiences coaching at the D! college level. While I think Lawson knows basketball as well, if not better, than most of the top level coaches in women’s basketball, she does not have any coaching at the D! level. I don’t think that she wants to make a living as a college coach. She has the best gig you can image with her current position with none of the pitfalls college coaches face today. She would be foolish to pass up her current position with ESPN to gain coaching experience as an assistant coach at any college.

Who are we to tell someone else what is foolish? Just maybe, being a coach is her dream. Maybe she sees it as a way of helping others reach their dream..

Choosing Kara to coach the team is an interesting development. I admit I have not really paid much attention to coach credentials for this level of basketball but is there a precident for selecting a national coach with no previous coaching experience? I'm not questioning the selection. It might be the greatest selection ever. Just wondering.

And it's not just that she has never coached high school or college teams, she has long said she wasn't interested in coaching. Everyone talks about how political USA Basketball is, but for once it's breaking in our favor :) Personally, I think she will be great at this. She probably can grasp and explain the 3 on 3 game as well as any current coach.

A great choice. Not much time commitment to interfere with her broadcasting duties. It may confirm her long standing desire not to coach, or peak her interest in coaching.

VN Store

Back