21 Mercedes Russell 6-6 RS Senior
Plus the #1 Recruiting class of:
Evina Westbrook, PG/SG
Renia Davis, SG/PF
Anastasia Hayes, PG
KK, PF/C

Anticipated starting lineup, based upon experience, skills, and chemistry:
Te'a Cooper, PG (Junior)
Alexa Middleton/Evina Westbrook, SG (Senior/Freshman)
Diamond Deshields, SG (Senior)
Jaime Nared, PF (Senior)
Mercedes Russell, C (Senior)

The one uncertainty is at the 2 spot. I tend to think Warlick will at least initially go with seniority over the freshmen, though that could change as the season progresses. Some of you may disagree with this, of course.
I personally favor playing Westbrook, because her size gives us the height advantage on the perimeter that has been one of our advantages since Reynolds was a point guard, and it's something we give up with playing Cooper.

While looking at this roster, it's no exaggeration to say that this has to be one of the deepest teams in recent lady vol history. Not only is it deep, but the quality of depth is quite astounding, especially if the freshmen live up to the hype.

This team will not only have depth but experience. The starting lineup features three, possibly four seniors, two of those being 5 year players. The "big three", the core of our offense, returns. Jaime Nared made a huge jump from SO to Junior year, and she could make another jump, insofar as she could be more consistent. In many ways she is the key to our success, as this season has shown. Also, the big three were instrumental in beating 3 out of the 4 final four teams this season, showing they have the ability to play at a championship level.

With that being said, the expectations for the season have to be a final four. The lineup is built for a late tourney run with depth at every position. As far as our position in the SEC goes, I expect that we should be battling USC for the top spot. Lastly, our win/loss total should heavily favor the win column, with 3 to 5 losses in the reg season. No more losing to teams we shouldn't lose to.
If these things do not happen, a serious audit of Coach Warlick's performance should be considered. The amount of talent, depth, and experience leaves no other culprit but leadership, should the season prove disappointing.
Go Lady Vols

Reactions: 2 people
for the 2017-2018 the available lineup will be:
2 te'a cooper 5-8 g junior
11 diamond deshields 6-1 rs senior
13 kortney dunbar 6-2 f senior
15 cheridene green 6-3 rs junior
5 kamera harris 6-3 c sophomore
10 meme jackson 5-11 g/f junior
33 alexa middleton 5-9 g senior
31 jaime nared 6-2 g/f senior
21 mercedes russell 6-6 rs senior
plus the #1 recruiting class of:
Evina westbrook, pg/sg
renia davis, sg/pf
anastasia hayes, pg
kk, pf/c

anticipated starting lineup, based upon experience, skills, and chemistry:
Te'a cooper, pg (junior)
alexa middleton/evina westbrook, sg (senior/freshman)
diamond deshields, sg (senior)
jaime nared, pf (senior)
mercedes russell, c (senior)

the one uncertainty is at the 2 spot. I tend to think warlick will at least initially go with seniority over the freshmen, though that could change as the season progresses. Some of you may disagree with this, of course.
I personally favor playing westbrook, because her size gives us the height advantage on the perimeter that has been one of our advantages since reynolds was a point guard, and it's something we give up with playing cooper.

While looking at this roster, it's no exaggeration to say that this has to be one of the deepest teams in recent lady vol history. Not only is it deep, but the quality of depth is quite astounding, especially if the freshmen live up to the hype.

This team will not only have depth but experience. The starting lineup features three, possibly four seniors, two of those being 5 year players. The "big three", the core of our offense, returns. Jaime nared made a huge jump from so to junior year, and she could make another jump, insofar as she could be more consistent. In many ways she is the key to our success, as this season has shown. Also, the big three were instrumental in beating 3 out of the 4 final four teams this season, showing they have the ability to play at a championship level.

With that being said, the expectations for the season have to be a final four. The lineup is built for a late tourney run with depth at every position. As far as our position in the sec goes, i expect that we should be battling usc for the top spot. Lastly, our win/loss total should heavily favor the win column, with 3 to 5 losses in the reg season. No more losing to teams we shouldn't lose to.
If these things do not happen, a serious audit of coach warlick's performance should be considered. The amount of talent, depth, and experience leaves no other culprit but leadership, should the season prove disappointing.
Go lady vols

omg.. Some people here need to be a coach.

For the 2017-2018 the anticipated starting lineup, based upon experience, skills, and chemistry:
Te'a Cooper, PG (Junior)
Jaime Nared, PF (Senior)

I generally agree with your assessment. Barring injuries (and when have those not been an issue), these team should the best depth and quality of any team in the country and should be able to compete for an NC, and certainly the SEC.

Holly will have the opposite problem of managing a deep roster. So, I am less concerned with who starts than who out of that set grabs regular minutes.

It seems very likely that our returning Big 3 will start and be on the floor a lot--unless the LVs are blowing out teams so they sit out much of the 4th quarter (an ideal scenario).

You would think that Te'a will start the season as the go to PG but we also have to see how she has recovered from her ACL. But there should be plenty of opportunity for Westbrook to get into the regular rotation.

KK and Green will likely battle for the Nunn role.

The big positional failing of the 2016-17 season was guard play. We should have a significant upgrade at PG. Though Middleton and Jackson had some bright moments (more AM), I could easily see Davis and Hayes eventually jumping ahead of them on depth chart. I hope the impending competition sparks some real motivation for off season improvement on the part of Alexa and Meme.

Even our big three need to keep working- Diamond on her shooting consistency, Mercedes on her strength, and Jamie on her ball handling skills (they are just okay) and her capacity to hold up over the season (which is another kind of strength and conditioning).

For the 2017-2018 the available lineup will be:
2 Te'a Cooper 5-8 G Junior
11 Diamond DeShields 6-1 RS Senior
13 Kortney Dunbar 6-2 F Senior
15 Cheridene Green 6-3 RS Junior
5 Kamera Harris 6-3 C Sophomore
10 Meme Jackson 5-11 G/F Junior
33 Alexa Middleton 5-9 G Senior
31 Jaime Nared 6-2 G/F Senior
Evina Westbrook, PG/SG
Renia Davis, SG/PF
Anastasia Hayes, PG
KK, PF/C

Te'a Cooper, PG (Junior)
Jaime Nared, PF (Senior)

The one uncertainty is at the 2 spot. I tend to think Warlick will at least initially go with seniority over the freshmen, though that could change as the season progresses. Some of you may disagree with this, of course.
I personally favor playing Westbrook, because her size gives us the height advantage on the perimeter that has been one of our advantages since Reynolds was a point guard, and it's something we give up with playing Cooper.

This team will not only have depth but experience. The starting lineup features three, possibly four seniors, two of those being 5 year players. The "big three", the core of our offense, returns. Jaime Nared made a huge jump from SO to Junior year, and she could make another jump, insofar as she could be more consistent. In many ways she is the key to our success, as this season has shown. Also, the big three were instrumental in beating 3 out of the 4 final four teams this season, showing they have the ability to play at a championship level.

With that being said, the expectations for the season have to be a final four. The lineup is built for a late tourney run with depth at every position. As far as our position in the SEC goes, I expect that we should be battling USC for the top spot. Lastly, our win/loss total should heavily favor the win column, with 3 to 5 losses in the reg season. No more losing to teams we shouldn't lose to.
If these things do not happen, a serious audit of Coach Warlick's performance should be considered. The amount of talent, depth, and experience leaves no other culprit but leadership, should the season prove disappointing.
Go Lady Vols

Come on you know and everyone knows Alexa Middleton will not start NO WAY ! Why would Holly start her then pull her out of the game after 2 mins it`s makes no sense.

Reactions: 1 person
The cream will rise to the top. Those who don't step up their game risk getting leapfrogged on the depth chart. The FR are already talking about working out and spending extra time in the gym. Talent + hard work + initiative generally pays off.

Reactions: 3 people
For the 2017-2018 the available lineup will be:
2 Te'a Cooper 5-8 G Junior
11 Diamond DeShields 6-1 RS Senior
13 Kortney Dunbar 6-2 F Senior
15 Cheridene Green 6-3 RS Junior
5 Kamera Harris 6-3 C Sophomore
10 Meme Jackson 5-11 G/F Junior
33 Alexa Middleton 5-9 G Senior
31 Jaime Nared 6-2 G/F Senior
Evina Westbrook, PG/SG
Renia Davis, SG/PF
Anastasia Hayes, PG
KK, PF/C

Te'a Cooper, PG (Junior)
Jaime Nared, PF (Senior)

Go Lady Vols
WHY DO YOU GUYS KEEP TRYING TO PUT JAMIE NARED AT THE PF POSITION WHEN WE HAVE PLAYERS LIKE GREEN OR EVEN KK WHO WOULD BE BETTER FITTED FOR THAT POSITION.:question::question::question::question: Me personally we need a physical tough presence in the paint to help out Russell who isn't that physical something she had with Graves. I've seen many time this year where Nared was physically outplayed in the paint this year. She is a SF we need to put her out on the wing. Now if we decide to go with a smaller lineup yes i understand her playing that position but this hurt us big time last year in the paint. Even if Jamie makes it the WNBA I guarantee you she will not be playing PF not to mention lets be honest she does miss alot of layups due to the fact she seems so uncomfortable playing the PF position. She did alot of damage on the wing this year and her and Diamond on the perimeter would be a nightmare for opposing teams. I actually think Green takes the PF spot if she's all the hype she received from JUCO.

Having a short bench this past season I can see why Holly had her at the PF spot but I really hope she doesn't play her there alot this season. Let Jamie start at the SF position with Rennia Davis being her backup.

Last edited:
The cream will rise to the top. Those who don't step up their game risk getting leapfrogged on the depth chart. The FR are already talking about working out and spending extra time in the gym. Talent + hard work + initiative generally pays off.

I agree, in addition Reynolds' lack of decision making hurt us, because she was not always an effective point guard. Cooper at the point will give us a leg up on that position over last year. Cooper also appears to have leadership skills.

At the 2, I can see a more athletic and taller Westbrook beating out Middleton. She has size and appears to be faster than Middleton. I can see one freshman starter on this team and that is Westbrook.

We can have all the best players in the country and a top of the line lineup, but if you don't have leadership on the floor, you have the same issues as last year. I believe that Diamond is ready to take on that role. She is not skipping the WNBA draft, and foreign money, to remain at status quo. She has a clear goal and that is to lead the Lady Vols to the final four.

With all that being said, the hope and success of next year's team will depend upon leadership, decision making and training from the coaching staff. A ship of 5 stars can only go so far, and live up to their potential and beyond, without exceptional leadership from the head coach and his/her staff.

Since Mercedes will not rebound or bang with the other teams bigs.... I would like to see her at foul line and see if she can make 15 footers and let Green get the rebounds. Harder to double team and pack a zone defense if she is 15 feet away from the goal.
I get so tired of seeing her let munchkins push her around and take the ball away from her and blocking her shot! She should be able to pass better from there also. JMHO

WHY DO YOU GUYS KEEP TRYING TO PUT JAMIE NARED AT THE PF POSITION WHEN WE HAVE PLAYERS LIKE GREEN OR EVEN KK WHO WOULD BE BETTER FITTED FOR THAT POSITION.:question::question::question::question: Me personally we need a physical tough presence in the paint to help out Russell who isn't that physical something she had with Graves. I've seen many time this year where Nared was physically outplayed in the paint this year. She is a SF we need to put her out on the wing. Now if we decide to go with a smaller lineup yes i understand her playing that position but this hurt us big time last year in the paint. Even if Jamie makes it the WNBA I guarantee you she will not be playing PF not to mention lets be honest she does miss alot of layups due to the fact she seems so uncomfortable playing the PF position. She did alot of damage on the wing this year and her and Diamond on the perimeter would be a nightmare for opposing teams. I actually think Green takes the PF spot if she's all the hype she received from JUCO.

Having a short bench this past season I can see why Holly had her at the PF spot but I really hope she doesn't play her there alot this season. Let Jamie start at the SF position with Rennia Davis being her backup.

Right on.
A Rick Mahorn, Charles Oakley, Karl Malone type.
One of those, "You don't want none,, then don't bring none" players.

Exactly Nared needs to play on the wing for us to be effective and for her to prepare herself for the next level.

I think Holly should go with the following lineups;

Starters:
PG-Te'a
SG-Diamond
SF-Nared
PF-Green
C-Russell

I think this lineup makes us deadly. Te'a and her ability to get to the rim means you can't focus on Diamond. Diamond also can drive and either pull up to score or kick it to the wing for the 3 where Nared always seemed ready to shoot. I think Green will give us more offensively than Nunn did and she will bring the same mentality on the boards and she's a vocal leader. Nared should only see the 4 if there is foul trouble.

Bench:
PG-Westbrook
SG-Hayes
SF-Middleton or MeMe
PF-Davis
C-KK

I know people will say Middleton is not a 3 but you can get away with her playing the 3 offensively but playing the 2 defensively as Westbrook can play the 3 defensively. Playing the 4 rookies together could also bode well for them getting acclimated to the game together. I know subbing 5 for another 5 isn't ideal at this level but until Holly gets her rotation together that is exactly what I would do.

By SEC play my rotation would be 9 with the starting 5 I stated and the 4 incoming Freshman. Middleton, MeMe, Harris, and Dunbar would only be used for their specialty (or if we have a huge lead).

Dunbar & Middlton-Coming off screens to hit the 3
MeMe-to play lock down defense and give the other guards breathers
Harris-If Russell or KK are in foul trouble (I would try to stay away from using Green at the 5 unless I absolutely had to).

Reactions: 5 people
Exactly Nared needs to play on the wing for us to be effective and for her to prepare herself for the next level.

I think Holly should go with the following lineups;

Starters:
PG-Te'a
SG-Diamond
SF-Nared
PF-Green
C-Russell

I think this lineup makes us deadly. Te'a and her ability to get to the rim means you can't focus on Diamond. Diamond also can drive and either pull up to score or kick it to the wing for the 3 where Nared always seemed ready to shoot. I think Green will give us more offensively than Nunn did and she will bring the same mentality on the boards and she's a vocal leader. Nared should only see the 4 if there is foul trouble.

Bench:
PG-Westbrook
SG-Hayes
SF-Middleton or MeMe
PF-Davis
C-KK

I know people will say Middleton is not a 3 but you can get away with her playing the 3 offensively but playing the 2 defensively as Westbrook can play the 3 defensively. Playing the 4 rookies together could also bode well for them getting acclimated to the game together. I know subbing 5 for another 5 isn't ideal at this level but until Holly gets her rotation together that is exactly what I would do.

By SEC play my rotation would be 9 with the starting 5 I stated and the 4 incoming Freshman. Middleton, MeMe, Harris, and Dunbar would only be used for their specialty (or if we have a huge lead).

Dunbar & Middlton-Coming off screens to hit the 3
MeMe-to play lock down defense and give the other guards breathers
Harris-If Russell or KK are in foul trouble (I would try to stay away from using Green at the 5 unless I absolutely had to).
You are right on it!!!! I like those lineups!!!

Davis is a wing. You'd be doing her like Nared doesn't want to be done. Nared and/or Davis at the four would work if we want to press/trap defensively and want to uptempo on offense, while running a 4-Out 1-In offense in the half court.

One of the reasons we've fallen off is that we don't play uptempo much anymore, the way we did in our heyday when we pressed a lot and ran the floor. We need to get back to pressing and running, and we have players tailor made to do it. It might mean playing Russell less or playing her but her role would become more defensive as we push the ball quickly up the floor. We should be a /running/ and pressing team.

Second, we have to take and make more THREEs. A big reason that UConn is a Ferrari and we are a Chevy Malibu is that the huskies take and make threes pretty much like we take and make twos. That and better passing is why their offense hums while we grind and sputter. The 2 guard and Nared should both be taking more threes. Middleton had a pretty strong three-point shooting percentage last year--but didn't shoot the trey enough. Her offensive role should be spotting up for threes--and Nared should take more too. If you play Westbrook or somebody else at the 2, they'd better be able to shoot and/or score.

Lastlly, we'll probably see a lot of zone defenses next year, as coaches know we struggle offensively and with shooting. Cooper struggled against zone defenses as a freshman, and if she is not better at running our offense against zone and getting the ball to our shooters, etc., we are probably going to have problems again. If I see her and other spending 20 seconds dribbling around on the perimeter against a zone while the shot clock runs down, I will FREAK OUT. Next year is put up or pack up time for Warlick, who's already coached three + years longer than she should have.

Much like the 2016 season, anything other than a FF is a complete and total failure. Talent level will be completely there and we will have a perfect blend of experience and youth, and also depth.

Armchair, to get going for three point shots means Holly has to run some plays to get Alexa open. The only three point opportunities that come out of the offense are kickouts from the post went MR draws multiple defenders or passing around the perimeter to standstill players hoping the defense makes a mistake. They don't run plays where they use screens and player movement to get open for threes like UConn does.

Outside shots has never been a hallmark of Tennessee's offense and never will be as long as Holly is shrieking, "Inside OUUUUUUUTTTT!!!!" from the sideline.

Much like the 2016 season, anything other than a FF is a complete and total failure. Talent level will be completely there and we will have a perfect blend of experience and youth, and also depth.

Anything short of a Final Four and Holly should be fired. Period.

Anything short of a Final Four and Holly should be fired. Period.

Unfortunately, the roster alone should mean they will get to the S16 and that will be "enough" to keep the front office happy.

I fear that Tennessee will be stuck with Holly until she decides that it's time for her to retire.

Armchair, to get going for three point shots means Holly has to run some plays to get Alexa open. The only three point opportunities that come out of the offense are kickouts from the post went MR draws multiple defenders or passing around the perimeter to standstill players hoping the defense makes a mistake. They don't run plays where they use screens and player movement to get open for threes like UConn does.

Outside shots has never been a hallmark of Tennessee's offense and never will be as long as Holly is shrieking, "Inside OUUUUUUUTTTT!!!!" from the sideline.
So you missed the countless number of plays where they ran Middleton, Dunbar, and Jackson off screens for open 3s and they missed them. Idk how many times I saw a set play where all 3 were ran off a screen to the corner for a wide open 3. Middleton was the only one to hit them at a consistent clip this year.

Holly shrieks "Inside Outtttttttttt" because that's where your highest percentage of shots are being made. It's really simple math, and honestly Holly isn't the only coach to preach that philosophy...yet she's the only one that gets lambasted for it.

Reactions: 5 people
so you missed the countless number of plays where they ran middleton, dunbar, and jackson off screens for open 3s and they missed them. Idk how many times i saw a set play where all 3 were ran off a screen to the corner for a wide open 3. Middleton was the only one to hit them at a consistent clip this year.

Holly shrieks "inside outtttttttttt" because that's where your highest percentage of shots are being made. It's really simple math, and honestly holly isn't the only coach to preach that philosophy...yet she's the only one that gets lambasted for it.

preach!!!

Unfortunately, the roster alone should mean they will get to the S16 and that will be "enough" to keep the front office happy.

I fear that Tennessee will be stuck with Holly until she decides that it's time for her to retire.

I disagree. There is finally stability in the athletic department now. With another double digit loss regular season as an SEC also-ran, I think her job security is finally in real danger with anything short of a Final Four in the postseason...

So you missed the countless number of plays where they ran Middleton, Dunbar, and Jackson off screens for open 3s and they missed them. Idk how many times I saw a set play where all 3 were ran off a screen to the corner for a wide open 3. Middleton was the only one to hit them at a consistent clip this year.

Holly shrieks "Inside Outtttttttttt" because that's where your highest percentage of shots are being made. It's really simple math, and honestly Holly isn't the only coach to preach that philosophy...yet she's the only one that gets lambasted for it.

I don't disagree that getting the ball to Mercedes is their highest percentage option, but how many times have we seen them force the ball to her (and Izzy before her) and every player on the opposite team knew exactly what they are going to do and just wait to pick the pass off? More times than I can remember. How often does Holly use MR as a decoy in the paint to run plays for the perimeter players to keep the defense honest? Never. Other teams with dominant centers surround their posts with shooters, and keep them involved in different offensive sets so their just not standing there wondering if the ball comes back out of the paint. Holly does not.

If setting a screen at the top of the key is Holly's idea of "freeing up" her shooters, then she needs to come up with something a bit more sophisticated than middle school plays. MSU was consistently using their posts to screen in the paint so that Morgan William could run baseline to the corner for an open three while her defender gets tangled up with a 6'7 giantess. I have never seen Tennessee do that because if MR is in the paint, she's calling for the ball.

And we both know that Kortney has never moved on the court on offense. She just hangs out behind the arc and hopes the defense forgot about her and jacks up the ball whenever and wherever it gets to her. That only works in NBA 2K games.

Last edited:
I disagree. There is finally stability in the athletic department now. With another double digit loss regular season as an SEC also-ran, I think her job security is finally in real danger with anything short of a Final Four in the postseason...

Hope you're right. If she messes up with this roster and gets another chance, then Tennessee as a program will never be anything more than an SEC also-ran.

VN Store

Back