Westbrook named 2017 USA Today Player of the Year

mtsuraider06

Reactions: 6 people
Evina is our next point guard and Hayes will play there as well. That position is covered next season and it was the position where we had the most problems this past season.

Reactions: 2 people
Congrats to these ladies! We should all be excited about the talent and confidence they bring to the LVs.

Evina is our next point guard and Hayes will play there as well. That position is covered next season and it was the position where we had the most problems this past season.

Te'a will be starting at PG next year, but both Evina and Annie will get minutes.

I do think Evina will start, along with Te'a, Jaime, Diamond, and Mercedes.

Te'a will be starting at PG next year, but both Evina and Annie will get minutes.

I do think Evina will start, along with Te'a, Jaime, Diamond, and Mercedes.

I agree raider. I think Cooper will have to eliminate herself from the point guard position by her play. This teams depth will be so good I would expect Meme and Alexa to play very limited minutes and Harris will pay less than she did this year if that is possible. JMHO

all indication of a team that will communicate while on the floor at several positions including the designated point-guard. Miss State and S.C both utilized a three guard offense at times (Vandy 4 guards) so having experienced guards both offensively and defensively is all good. So frequently we boarders don't consider positions from the perspective of defensive . Anosike was frequently the defensive point guard on the last Title the LVs had. Who will to use the cliche "be in the grill" of the opponents PG. How will the defense overplay the passing lanes while preventing the dribble-drive etc.

Getting stronger and playing college level defense are the two challenges for the incoming players. Congratulations to the all.

I agree raider. I think Cooper will have to eliminate herself from the point guard position by her play. This teams depth will be so good I would expect Meme and Alexa to play very limited minutes and Harris will pay less than she did this year if that is possible. JMHO

Alexa will get minutes. How many is definitely the question. Meme will have to improve her shooting and decision making.

Kortney & Kamera will be the last two off the bench unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe that there is nothing wrong in playing two point guards at same time and their play is interchangeable between SG and PG.That is likely to happen this next year with Tea and Evina.Fact is it is highly likely that there will be a three guard lineup against many teams next year .....Diamond,Tea and Evina with Diamond sliding into the SF position.I just hope that our Coaches find a way to maximize those three's talents in an offense that fits them.

Tea better be a lot better because if she plays anything like she did as a freshman Evina will take that PG position. Second that is the position that Holly agreed for Evina to play so whether she starts or not her minutes will be at point guard.

Last edited:
Alexa will get minutes. How many is definitely the question. Meme will have to improve her shooting and decision making.

Kortney & Kamera will be the last two off the bench unfortunately.

Hopefully Kortney and Kamera will get mop up mins after we blow teams out. Hopefully.

Evina was named the 2017 USA Today Player of the Year.

Annie and Evina were both named to the five player First Team. Rennia was named to the five player Second Team.

Congrats ladies!!

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/all-usa...r-of-the-year-evina-westbrook-south-salem-ore
http://usatodayhss.com/2017/2016-17-american-family-insurance-all-usa-girls-basketball-teams
http://usatodayhss.com/2017/2016-17-all-usa-girls-basketball-second-team

Congratulations Evina!:good!:

GOLadyVols!

One of the many problems we had this year (among others) was competition at each spot. You mess up ... whose Holly going to put it? When you don't have the numbers to compete at each spot, makes for a season like we have.
Excited to start heading back to a point where the players will actually have to play hard to get on the floor!

Tea better be a lot better because if she plays anything like she did as a freshman Evina will take that PG position. Second that is the position that Holly agreed for Evina to play so whether she starts or not her minutes will be at point guard.

Te'a is starting regardless, 1 or 2.
3 guard line up.

Te'a is starting regardless, 1 or 2.
3 guard line up.
You don't know that and is yet to be determined by Holly and the coaches. She may start the first games but based on how she played her freshman year she will lose that job if she is not a lot better. She had more turnovers than assists and shot in the 30's and that want be good enough to start next season.

Like seriously do you even watch and know basketball what are you talking about? LOL. Cooper did pretty good her Freshman year. :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Scored in double digits 15 times and had more than 20 points vs. Central Arkansas, ETSU and Georgia.

Became the sixth UT freshman to score more than 20 points in her debut. It was the second straight year a freshman has done that as Alexa Middleton scored 20 against Penn on 11/14/14.

Finished her freshman year fourth on the team in scoring at 8.6 points per game while also notching 2.1 assists and 1.2 steals per game.

Returned to the starting lineup and scored 17 points on 6-of-11 shooting from the field and went 3-of-5 behind the three-point line while also amassing four assists vs. Alabama.

Came off the bench to score 16 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the field and 4-of-4 from the line against #9/9 Ohio State in the NCAA Sweet 16.

Led the team with 15 points on 7-of-11 shooting in the first round of the NCAA Tournament against Green Bay.

Led the team in assists and steals on 10 occasions each during the 2015-16 season.

Finished third on the team in steals (43) and assists (74).

NOT TO MENTION SHE DID ALL THAT ON A TEAM THAT WENT TO THE ELITE 8. YALL BETTER STOP UNDERESTIMATE COOPER GIRL WAS A BEAST TOO COMING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL JUST LIKE THESE INCOMING FRESHMAN WE HAVE AND SHE DID IT IN THE STATE OF GEORGIA WHERE THE OVERALL TALENT IS WAYYY BETTER!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
Like seriously do you even watch and know basketball what are you talking about? LOL. Cooper did pretty good her Freshman year. :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Scored in double digits 15 times and had more than 20 points vs. Central Arkansas, ETSU and Georgia.

Became the sixth UT freshman to score more than 20 points in her debut. It was the second straight year a freshman has done that as Alexa Middleton scored 20 against Penn on 11/14/14.

Finished her freshman year fourth on the team in scoring at 8.6 points per game while also notching 2.1 assists and 1.2 steals per game.

Returned to the starting lineup and scored 17 points on 6-of-11 shooting from the field and went 3-of-5 behind the three-point line while also amassing four assists vs. Alabama.

Came off the bench to score 16 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the field and 4-of-4 from the line against #9/9 Ohio State in the NCAA Sweet 16.

Led the team with 15 points on 7-of-11 shooting in the first round of the NCAA Tournament against Green Bay.

Led the team in assists and steals on 10 occasions each during the 2015-16 season.

NOT TO MENTION SHE DID ALL THAT ON A TEAM THAT WENT TO THE ELITE 8. YALL BETTER STOP UNDERESTIMATE COOPER GIRL WAS A BEAST TOO COMING OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL JUST LIKE THESE INCOMING FRESHMAN WE HAVE AND SHE DID IT IN THE STATE OF GEORGIA WHERE THE OVERALL TALENT IS WAYYY BETTER!!!!
:clapping::clapping::clapping: You tell them!!! What they said!!!:thumbsup:

Te'a will be the starting PG. She is at least 1 years ahead of the freshman.
Yes Cooper is a baller. Our incoming freshman have to put in work first I'm not just crowning them a starting because they dominated high school level which is nothing like college. Now if Westbrook comes in and takes that starting PG position based off her play I don't mind her starting but I'm not just going to give it to her and I know Cooper isn't either.

I definitely watched and the stats are 36 percent from the field overall and 26 percent from the three. 97 turnovers and 74 assists. This is not exactly what you want from your point guard and is not even as efficient as Reynolds. She did average 8.6 by throwing up 10 shots per game. So when you talk about quality play your not talking about Cooper as a freshman. So why open your mouth when you don't know what your talking about stats don't lie and hers are terrible.

You talk about scoring who can't score 311 points when you throw up 317 shots that isn't even a point per shot and since Reynolds shot 36 percent as well and 27 percent from the three sound familiar. Reynolds had a far better assist to turnover ratio 138 assist to 52 turnovers.
She may start but if she plays like she did as a freshman she want last long in the starting lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I definitely watched and the stats are 36 percent from the field overall and 26 percent from the three. 97 turnovers and 74 assists. This is not exactly what you want from your point guard and is not even as efficient as Reynolds. She did average 8.6 by throwing up 10 shots per game. So when you talk about quality play your not talking about Cooper as a freshman. So why open your mouth when you don't know what your talking about stats don't lie and hers are terrible.

You talk about scoring who can't score 311 points when you throw up 317 shots that isn't even a point per shot and since Reynolds shot 36 percent as well and 27 percent from the three sound familiar. Reynolds had a far better assist to turnover ratio 138 assist to 52 turnovers.
She may start but if she plays like she did as a freshman she want last long in the starting lineup.

Te'a Cooper did a lot of good thing her freshman year. There is a big learning curve and she got much better as the year went on. She has great speed something you can't teach. She has learned all the plays and watch from the bench last year and will be 2 years older than the freshman. I'm not sure when she will be able to practice or if she was able to at the end of the year.

Te'a Cooper did a lot of good thing her freshman year. There is a big learning curve and she got much better as the year went on. She has great speed something you can't teach. She has learned all the plays and watch from the bench last year and will be 2 years older than the freshman. I'm not sure when she will be able to practice or if she was able to at the end of the year.

No she actually started out well and got worse as the season progressed. I am hoping she is far better because what she did as a freshman want work and want make us win. I can agree she should be better after sitting a year and being a lot smarter basketball player. Point guards must be close to a 2 to 1 ratio assists vs turnovers and well she had only 74 assists and 93 turnovers. I can see her playing a lot but it may be as the fourth guard in a four guard offense. I think she is definitely better than Meme and Middleton.
You also must average over a point for every shot attempted and she didn't.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. During last year's loss to Syracuse, Tennessee would have won if they had Jordan playing instead of Te'a. During this year's trainwreck, Tennessee would have been better if they had Te'a playing instead of Jordan.

I agree with everything you said. Te'a has potential to be a scorer, but we saw that she was routinely stymied by zone defenses and was not a good decision maker based on her assist to turnovers (and they weren't the Diamond variety where they were makeable catches to players in good scoring position).

If she's the starting PG, then Te'a needs to be better than she was her freshman year for Tennessee to become a more consistently good team.

VN Store

Back