2018 Recruiting Class

jwhite9

Question for you guys? Do you think after winning the National Championship and losing Davis, Gray and Wilson after the 2018 season will land South Carolina the #1 recruiting class from 2018/19 and possibly taking some of our prospects who were thinking about committing to Tenn? Been kind of worried about this the past couple of days. She can offer them instant playing time not to mention show off her National Championship ring and she's very heavily involved with the USA Olympic basketball team. This is why I hope next year Tennessee can get back to the old Tennessee we became accustomed to under Pat.

Reactions: 3 people
Question for you guys? Do you think after winning the National Championship and losing Davis, Gray and Wilson after the 2018 season will land South Carolina the #1 recruiting class from 2018/19 and possibly taking some of our prospects who were thinking about committing to Tenn? Been kind of worried about this the past couple of days. She can offer them instant playing time not to mention show off her National Championship ring and she's very heavily involved with the USA Olympic basketball team. This is why I hope next year Tennessee can get back to the old Tennessee we became accustomed to under Pat.

Less for the players who gave verbal and more for players currently considering both... someone like Olivia Nelson Ododa. There are other comparable PGs who have SC as a school interest, so I don't think Massengill would necessarily change her mind, especially since Dawn has a highly rated PG commit for 2018 already.

I think what is more likely is that schools that weren't considering SC before may change their minds. I think there's a strong likelihood they can get the #1 class since there are a lot of top 10 players already considering them.

Reactions: 1 person
It's very likely that ONO goes to USC. They have been leading for her for awhile, and she would arrive as soon as Wilson leaves.

I don't think Balogun will go to USC, but she could. I think she comes to Tennessee with Massengill. The coach at Hamilton Heights has a great relationship with Holly.

Those are the two big names I know they are going after.

Reactions: 2 people
No inside information, but I think Nelson-Ododa and Balogun will go there. Tennessee will have 3 good post players in Green as a Senior, KK as a Sophomore and Collins as a Freshman with a group of good guards.

Dawn already gets a lot of ladies considering even before the NC. She will get top prospects to replace those that leave. The talent is already evening out among top programs. Coaching and player development is what will seperate the top teams.

Are we in on any post players for 2018 other than Nelson-Ododa? I feel like we need one more big for 2018 to shore up depth.

Commits do not just choose a school based on Champion ship and those girls been chose tenn
I'm not talking about the girls who have already committed I'm referring to the ones that were highly considering Tennessee and yes a coach that has championship pedigree would highly influence a players decision what are you talking about? If coach Geno wasn't winning championships do you actually think all those top recruits would be going to UCONN? Having a coach with championships pedigree lets a player know that that they will receive great coaching. You think if Saban wasn't winning championships at Alabama he would get all those top recruits?

As far as I'm aware.. we're hardly even recruiting most of the same recruits for 2018. Tennessee had their big year in 2017 and it seems like Holly is being much more picky in 2018 recruiting wise. SC will be in full reload mode for the 2018 class (like Tenn was for 2017)..

I think the only recruits that both SC and Tenn are after are Nelson Ododa (which to me seems like a SC, Tenn, UGA battle, but we all need to look out for the North Carolina schools here), Nicoletti (according to Hoopgurlz.. but I've seen nothing connecting Nicoletti to SC), DeCosta (who recently added SC back to her list, but I still think she's a silent Tenn verbal), Scott-Grayson and Balogun.

I can already tell you now that SC is going really hard after Nelson-Ododa, NaLyssa Smith (#4 player in the class) and Zarielle Green (#12 player in the class)... from what I've been able to gather those are the three players we are REALLY going after. Smith was the first recruit we've visited in 2017 and our ENTIRE coaching staff did an in-home visit on the FIRST day that in home visits were allowed. Smith is a top priority for us, as well as Nelson-Ododa and Green. Two of those players are from Texas and neither one of those players are considering Tennessee.

SC winning the natty will largely have little bearing on Tennessee's class. We are prioritizing different players for the most part.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware.. we're hardly even recruiting most of the same recruits for 2018. Tennessee had their big year in 2017 and it seems like Holly is being much more picky in 2018 recruiting wise. SC will be in full reload mode for the 2018 class (like Tenn was for 2017)..

I think the only recruits that both SC and Tenn are after are Nelson Ododa (which to me seems like a SC, Tenn, UGA battle), Nicoletti (according to Hoopgurlz.. but I've seen nothing connecting Nicoletti to SC), DeCosta (who recently added SC back to her list, but I still think she's a silent Tenn verbal), Scott-Grayson and Balogun.

I can already tell you now that SC is going really hard after Nelson-Ododa, NaLyssa Smith (#4 player in the class) and Zarielle Green (#12 player in the class)... from what I've been able to gather those are the three players we are REALLY going after. Smith was the first recruit we've visited in 2017 and we our entire coaching staff did an in-home visit on the first day that in home visits were allowed. Smith is a top priority for us, as well as Nelson-Ododa and Green. Two of those players are from Texas and neither one of those players are considering Tennessee.

SC winning the natty will largely have little bearing on Tennessee's class. We are prioritizing different players for the most part.
Yes you are correct. I think Nelson-Ododa will chose between SC and Tenn. The crazy thing she could go to both programs and possibly start right away but she has a greater chance at SC. Not going to lie I would love for us to sign her. Recently on IG she has started following Diamond and a couple of our 2017 recruits hopefully thats a great sign. LOL

Whether we "really" need another post prospect in the 2018 class may depend on the possibility of a post transfer that was referenced by mtsuraider a few weeks ago. If that is still a possibility, then the necessity for another post in the '18 class may be negated.

Further, post players do not appear to be the strength of the '18 class. If Nelson-Ododa chooses to go elsewhere, Holly and staff may be better served by taking a strong wing like DeCosta and a versatile guard rather than settling for someone just because they are taller.

Jim

Would love to get Olivia Nelson-Ododa in the 2018 class, not a lot of post in the 2019 class. Kamilla Cardosa class of 2020 from Hamilton Heights Christian Academy would be a must if we lose out on Olivia Nelson-Ododa, if we get her we should also get Treasure Hunt from Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (TN)

Whether we "really" need another post prospect in the 2018 class may depend on the possibility of a post transfer that was referenced by mtsuraider a few weeks ago. If that is still a possibility, then the necessity for another post in the '18 class may be negated.

Further, post players do not appear to be the strength of the '18 class. If Nelson-Ododa chooses to go elsewhere, Holly and staff may be better served by taking a strong wing like DeCosta and a versatile guard rather than settling for someone just because they are taller.

Jim

Is the post transfer, California State University's Channon Fluker or Baylor's Mompremier ?
Just curious.

It's very likely that ONO goes to USC. They have been leading for her for awhile, and she would arrive as soon as Wilson leaves.

I don't think Balogun will go to USC, but she could. I think she comes to Tennessee with Massengill. The coach at Hamilton Heights has a great relationship with Holly.

Those are the two big names I know they are going after.

2018 class not comitted

1. Ododa
2. Williams
3. Nicolette

6. DeCosta

11. Honesty

15. Balogun

Are we in on all of these non commitments???

How many could we take ??

2018 class not comitted

1. Ododa
2. Williams
3. Nicolette

6. DeCosta

11. Honesty

15. Balogun

Are we in on all of these non commitments???

How many could we take ??

Does Balogun have a list? no list of schools on espn. I would be surprised if Williams did not pick UCONN. 2 of those 6 would be good.

Does Balogun have a list? no list of schools on espn. I would be surprised if Williams did not pick UCONN. 2 of those 6 would be good.

Williams, Nicoletti, Grayson, all list Uconn as interested!

My list by importance would be:

DeCosta... losing DD and Nared

Ododa... could use another big and we have more guards.

Williams, Nicoletti, Balogun, we have more point guards and Grayson is only one listed as point guard!

Every year, a program that aspires for a championship needs to get the right players to fill their needs. Forget rankings, it is more about getting players that are willing to be a part of your system than what a bunch of journalists think.

Is Staley maintains the momentum winning her first championship should bring to SCAR, they should do well. Attendance at their games has been increasing, booster dollars should increase as well if the Gamecock's administration does their part.

I don't look for the old Tennessee under Pat to ever return. Until proven otherwise, it was buried with her.

I think our most likely class will be Collins, Massengill, DeCosta, Nicoletti, & Balogun.

I'm not including any possible transfers because I don't know what class they will be in when they get here.

better start cruitin girls with names like Jones, Simpson, Brown..

All these exotic names gonna give Mickey D a stroke!

I think our most likely class will be Collins, Massengill, DeCosta, Nicoletti, & Balogun.

I'm not including any possible transfers because I don't know what class they will be in when they get here.

That would be a great class if they can get them signed.

Have you heard about the MD terps exodus? Including Destiny Slocum? What's up with that she was just freshman of the year nationally and seemed to gel with that team !

Physically a different looking team. All the hype of Rock and strength aspect believe.

Have you heard about the MD terps exodus? Including Destiny Slocum? What's up with that she was just freshman of the year nationally and seemed to gel with that team !

Whattttttt??? Weren't we on her short list? I'm shocked.

VN Store

Back