Dawn Staley or Vic Schaeffer

meatysain

Anyone whose ever saw me post in this forum knows I've been very much in favor of parting ways with Holly Warlick & at least trying to lure Dawn Staley from Carolina. After tonight though it'll be damn tough to steal her away.

Reactions: 1 person
after Vic showed how pigheaded he can be tonight, I don't want him in Orange.

Reactions: 2 people
So she wouldn't leave for arguably the most decorated women's program ever. Give me a break

No way. She has a good thing going for her and she probably wants to build her program up from the ground up as she did winning the Nat'l championship today.

Call me bitter but I didn't want SC to win because of Kaela Davis haha.
But I have a soft spot after hearing Williams & Okurie's story. I do thought they had the momentum from last game to win today.
All in all, I'm happy for Dawn.

Reactions: 4 people
Vic S is waiting for the Texas A&M job

and why would Dawn leave her post with a national title in hand to go to a program where the head coach makes less money than she currently does

So the purpose of this post...?

Where do we go from here? I don't see the Lady Vols being any better next season than they were this past season, not under Holly. If I'm right then we'll be in the market head coach shopping & after tonight the 2 hottest coaches,that's my opinion, probably aren't going to seriously entertain us. You could argue Dawn Staley has turned USC into the new Tennessee, hell they've won what the last 4 or 5 conference championships.

Reactions: 5 people
If we decide to be bold and pay for and get an elite coach like a Top 3 national brand should, we can get almost anybody in the nation.

If we decide to pay middle of the pack in the SEC, we get 26 losses in 2 years.

Reactions: 3 people
So she wouldn't leave for arguably the most decorated women's program ever. Give me a break

You are looking at the program as they sit at this moment. I hate identity politics but Dawn Staley is a game changer as you have your first African-American female coach to win a national title. On that fact alone she may have her pick of the next wave of young African American talent most of which sits in he NY to Atlanta cooridor which is an easy drive to Columbia. She has the buy in from her fan base as shown by the attendance numbers. Further she's a young coach. It's not completely unbelievable that she might finish her career in 20 years or so with 5 titles at SC. At that point South Carolina will stand beside Tennessee as the historical pillars of the SEC. if you have that vision what does Tennessee offer you that you can have at SC

You have confidence that our administration would be bold and actually pay top $$$$ for an elite coach?

Shes not leaving to take a pay cut.

Part of me feels like you, Im saying to myself we're ****in Tennessee! Pat Summit was the John Wooden of women's basketball. Who wouldn't wanna come here & coach on the second largest platform in women's college basketball?

BUT after tonight being realistic if we do decide to go after Dawn Staley were going to have to up the bucks. Why leave & follow in someone else's footsteps when your laying your own footprint.

Where do we go from here? I don't see the Lady Vols being any better next season than they were this past season, not under Holly. If I'm right then we'll be in the market head coach shopping & after tonight the 2 hottest coaches,that's my opinion, probably aren't going to seriously entertain us. You could argue Dawn Staley has turned USC into the new Tennessee, hell they've won what the last 4 or 5 conference championships.

Well I have to disagree with you that the Lady Vols will not be better Than this past season.
They WILL be much better next season, quote me on that.

You are looking at the program as they sit at this moment. I hate identity politics but Dawn Staley is a game changer as you have your first African-American female coach to win a national title. On that fact alone she may have her pick of the next wave of young African American talent most of which sits in he NY to Atlanta cooridor which is an easy drive to Columbia. She has the buy in from her fan base as shown by the attendance numbers. Further she's a young coach. It's not completely unbelievable that she might finish her career in 20 years or so with 5 titles at SC. At that point South Carolina will stand beside Tennessee as the historical pillars of the SEC. if you have that vision what does Tennessee offer you that you can have at SC

Thanks for pointing that out. That never even crossed my mind. Congratulations to Coach Staley.

Good on her and South Carolina for hiring Staley.

Coach Schaefer did an injustice to MState by sitting his star player the entire 4th quarter in a National Championship game. What a shame and what a dumb move.

Pat won 8 national titles, won @ 1100 games and put WBB on the map. Dawn has a LONGGGG way to go before she can even be compared to Pat.

She built a winning program. Everyone knows she's nowhere near what Pat built but she has a program equal to what we have right now. Now we have to battle for supremacy in the SEC where as before it was a cake walk.

Dawn Staley was a slam-dunk hire for SCAR. She was driven to win an NC. It ate at her that she was 0-3 in championship games as a player, and she was determined to win an NC as a coach. Having the singular vision and self-motivation to succeed separates those who want to win from those who'll do whatever it takes to win. UT won't find another Pat, but we can find someone who shares the qualities that made Pat so successful.

No coach is going to leave a big school/program that is going well to come here. That doesn't include Schaefer--he might, but there are other coaches I'd rather have. Staley can thank Schaefer for beating UConn because there is no way that SC would have.

VN Store

Back