Finally...someone is publicly speaking out

Who replaces her? What elite coach wants to come here and try to live up to the expectations created by Pat? Right now, letting her go accomplishes nothing. If anything, it takes us a few steps back. Give her another year or two. If this incoming class fails to produce, then you hope to find someone that can turn it around. I just don't see any elite coach out there right now that would leave the situation they're in for UT.

Reactions: 12 people
Who replaces her? What elite coach wants to come here and try to live up to the expectations created by Pat? Right now, letting her go accomplishes nothing. If anything, it takes us a few steps back. Give her another year or two. If this incoming class fails to produce, then you hope to find someone that can turn it around. I just don't see any elite coach out there right now that would leave the situation they're in for UT.

And thats the UT way, letting fear of unknowns keep you stagnant in mediocrity.

Reactions: 41 people

Just a little wake up call on your statement Weezer. What makes you think we are worthy of an elite coach at this time? Right now without the remembrance of Pat Summitt, this program is very mediocre. I want someone with a better understanding of the game to be in charge of this program. Holly with all her qualities and loyalty to this program does not and is not Head Coach material.

Reactions: 4 people

Or, they need to replace some of the missing aspects within the coaching mix. (Flow, motivator, skills).

Reactions: 1 person
And thats the UT way, letting fear of unknowns keep you stagnant in mediocrity.

Yes, the UT way of pushing coaches out the door the last 10-20 years has produced so much success, hasn't it?

As I said, let's see what the incoming class does before we rush into the unknown.

Reactions: 8 people
Yes, the UT way of pushing coaches out the door the last 10-20 years has produced so much success, hasn't it?

As I said, let's see what the incoming class does before we rush into the unknown.

Because UT waits until the cobard is bare and no one wants the damn job

Reactions: 3 people
I think there would be many top coaches who would cherish the thought of taking over a program with such rich history and support. Holly is the one who "followed the legend". The next coach simply has to improve on Holly's record. UT isn't the program that Pat built anymore. It's the one that Holly ruined. Hey, if UT wants to go the way of ODU and LaTech, stand pat(no pun intended) and watch rome burn. If they want to play for titles again instead of cheering when someone else beats UConn and Geno, they need to make a change. All Holly brings is a tired, stale message about defense, emotion and intensity. All that rah, rah stuff works for a brief time, but at some point, it's going to ring hollow and being able to coach is what kids, teams and programs need. At this point in Holly's career and in light of her performances, it's pretty clear the emperor wears no clothes. I think she likely gets one more year due to the class she somehow managed to sign. If it weren't for the annual meltdown of Serrano's diamond Vols, she'd be first in Currie's crosshairs. As it is, Dave will be the first in the unemployment line. Holly's turn will come at the end of next season if she fails to succeed with all this new blood coming in.

Still waiting on names. "Many top coaches" is extremely vague. I don't see any elite coaches leaving programs they've built to come here. So who are these "top coaches"?

Reactions: 6 people
Still waiting on names. "Many top coaches" is extremely vague. I don't see any elite coaches leaving programs they've built to come here. So who are these "top coaches"?

So we should keep an underachieving coach because posters on a message board can't name someone who might or might not be interested in coming here? Brilliant! For the record its not up to us to produce the names of outstanding coaches who are interested in a job here. We pay high priced admins for that. And I promise you they could fill this job in an afternoon.

Reactions: 7 people
The lack of understanding by laypeople of how an organization like UT Sports operates is totally mind boggling sometimes...

It seems as if you don't think the Lady Vols brand is attractive enough anymore. The history of the program and eight national titles is still hanging out there. How do you think Jolene Law was able to get the #1 recruiting class in the country this year? With the exception of a few well established coaches, like Geno, Muffet, Tara, etc., just about anyone else would crawl on their belly to get the job. I haven't memorized the names of all WBB coaches out there but they all would be available if UT job was open.

Last edited:
We have the number one recruiting class heading into next season. No matter which assistant coach recruited them, they signed to play for Holly. Why rock the boat this season? I've not said Holly is the long term answer, but right now isn't the time for a change. She's the definition of a VFL, and she deserves one more season to see if this class could possibly right the ship. If we fall flat on our face next season, then I can see a change being completely justified, but right at this moment, it would be another of a long line of mistakes by our admin.

Reactions: 5 people

What coach would want to come to a college that year in and year out brings in Top 5 recruits to Women's Basketball?

It seems as if you don't think the Lady Vols brand is attractive enough anymore. The history of the program and eight national titles is still hanging out there. How do you think Jolene Law was able to get the #1 recruiting class in the country this year? With the exception of a few well established coaches, like Geno, Muffet, Tara, etc., just about anyone else would crawl on their belly to get the job. I haven't memorized the names of all WBB coaches out there but they all would be available if UT job was open.

Any coach that comes here will still be held up to Pat. She is our benchmark, but they'll never be another Pat Summitt. That expectation is bound to make any coach question coming here.

Reactions: 2 people

Of good grief, I could not disagree more. Your head is in in the sand if you don't think there are better coaches than Holly that would love to run this once great program. Despite your claims of no one wanting this job, coaches have egos and if you don't think nobody would want this job that is better equipped good grief you must not think much of the program. What situation is any school in when they have to replace a coach??? Unless it is health reasons it is because they aren't getting it done. So under your logic you must think coaches want to go where expectations are low, well not competitive coaches they want to go where they can recruit and compete. Saying UT couldn't get a quality coach is quite frankly idiotic. GBO!!!!

Last edited:

Such a ridiculous argument.

It seems she'll be here another year regardless. You're wasting your time trying to get people to agree she should be here another year, especially if your argument is nothing more than "nobody else wants to come here so we should keep her."

Discussion will be the same next spring. Nothing resembling an offense from this and prior staff for a decade.

Personally, I like watching good basketball and I don't care that much anymore what teams produce it - smart players that move without the ball, penetrate, pass off, pick and roll, layups. UConn, ND (who made us look silly about 4 years ago), couple others do it - we don't. If we can't out-athlete people, if we depend on strategy and an actual offense, no chance when it comes to consistently beating strong programs.

Give her as many "one more year"s and top recruiting classes as you like, but nothing we've seen over a period of plenty of years suggests the result will be any different.

Kinda sad. She deserves to be remembered very positively as a player - not for taking the program in the ditch.

I would think there are plenty of elite coaches who are confident in their coaching ability who would want to come in and see how far they could take this blue chip program.... we have the talent, just not the coaching... right now UT still pulls recruits based on their history, so lets not wait until UT falls so low and can't get elite recruits and then try and find a elite coach. It won't happen. No one is expecting the coach to be the next Pat, they just want someone who will maximize the talent and the brand that is placed in front of them and Holly has yet to come close to that.

Such a ridiculous argument.

It seems she'll be here another year regardless. You're wasting your time trying to get people to agree she should be here another year, especially if your argument is nothing more than "nobody else wants to come here so we should keep her."

Discussion will be the same next spring. Nothing resembling an offense from this and prior staff for a decade.

Personally, I like watching good basketball and I don't care that much anymore what teams produce it - smart players that move without the ball, penetrate, pass off, pick and roll, layups. UConn, ND (who made us look silly about 4 years ago), couple others do it - we don't. If we can't out-athlete people, if we depend on strategy and an actual offense, no chance when it comes to consistently beating strong programs.

Give her as many "one more year"s and top recruiting classes as you like, but nothing we've seen over a period of plenty of years suggests the result will be any different.

Kinda sad. She deserves to be remembered very positively as a player - not for taking the program in the ditch.
Bullseye !!!

As for what coaches - all you have to look at it the list of people who want to coach at Florida, or the coaching hire at Vanderbilt, or at Mississippi State or SC with nothing like the facilities and fan support.
No, Jeff and Geno, and Kim, and Tara, and Muffet are not going to apply, nor backing up a brinks truck to their house will change their mind - but finding a Vic or a Dawn or ____ working as a top flight assistant or at a really good mid-major is absolutely possible. Whether a school makes the right choice is a completely different matter. TN's last two choices have broken both ways - and really the second choice was not one they had much control over, but they certainly nailed the first!

And just one thing about Holly and TN - the program isn't a dumpster fire - it is just not 'special' or 'unique' anymore. It is just an ordinary top 25 ish program - in the NCAAs and playing on the second weekend most years. It isn't that perennial top 5 team that it used to be through the Parker years, but LaTech and Old Dominion are no where in the future. And years in the wilderness that have hit some top programs isn't likely either. And partly because you all care and are passionate.

Tennessee didn't have a loaded roster this year. And injuries to key players has marred recent runs the last two years. Hopefully it change this upcoming year. The only part of the article that wasn't true was that comment.
Coaches alone don't win championship, there are other factors including players.
I never believed Phil Jackson was a great coach but he had Jordan,Shaq,Kobe and the triangle system which was impedimented by his assistant coach.
But the bus load of haters are going to run over the head coach first.

And who wants the job right now? Give me some realistic names of who wants to be our next head coach.

Throw out enough money and all but about 5 coaches would want it. Of course, that would require our athletic department to pay this job like a Top 3 job nationally (which it is) and not a middle of the pack SEC job.

You get what you pay for......We pay Holly to be middle of the pack in the SEC and that's where the teams have been the past 2 years.

VN Store

Back