What would PAT think about an all SEC championship?

Volstylexx

Reactions: 4 people
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19054267/women-final-four-mississippi-state-bulldogs-south-carolina-gamecocks-playing-championship-sec-already-winner

Great article by espn and I think they're correct that Pat would be proud of the conference she built...

But extremely sad to see all these articles talking about TN as the team that was. It's like we've already been written into the history books 📚

That hurts.

They need to win consistently and be a legit FF contender for that to happen.

They have no one but themselves to blame for the current narrative.

CPS would be proud of MS State & USCe; but then she would ask: "Why isn't TENNESSEE there?" :ermm:

Reactions: 9 people
Pat would have said that it's good for the game. She would have been the first to congratulate Vic Schaefer and Dawn Staley for building elite programs at schools that weren't even in the conversation a decade ago. And she would say that this is not the way we do things at Tennessee. She would give the LV coaches and players a long, hard stare, then tell them to suck it up and get to work it because she expects another banner hanging up there next year. And they would do it.

Reactions: 5 people
Yes, she'd be happy to see the SEC doing well--but let's cut to the heart of the matter: She'd be shocked out of her shoes to hear that we've lost 26--26--games in the last two years.

Reactions: 3 people
Holly has a real chance to make Pat proud if she can reverse our fortunes from the last few years. She would be happy for MSU and USC but wonder why the Lady Vols failed to play up to their potential. On the other hand, she would be proud of WBB and what she has created. I feet that Pat's dream was to make WBB just as exciting as men's basketball. The popularity of the game would not be what it is without God giving the game Pat Summitt. I don't care what anyone says, how many championships Genno wins or how many wins he obtains, all of his accomplishments will never add up to what Pat did for the women's game. Pat is the greatest WBB coach of all time, period.

Reactions: 7 people
Holly has a real chance to make Pat proud if she can reverse our fortunes from the last few years. She would be happy for MSU and USC but wonder why the Lady Vols failed to play up to their potential. On the other hand, she would be proud of WBB and what she has created. I feet that Pat's dream was to make WBB just as exciting as men's basketball. The popularity of the game would not be what it is without God giving the game Pat Summitt. I don't care what anyone says, how many championships Genno wins or how many wins he obtains, all of his accomplishments will never add up to what Pat did for the women's game. Pat is the greatest WBB coach of all time, period.

Well said.

Reactions: 1 person
Holly has all the pieces of a championship team-- the #1 recruiting class coming in and all of her key players returning and committed to being elite. They need coaching, though, so I hope she'll take an honest look at herself and her staff and see where she can make positive changes and upgrades for the good of the program. A fresh perspective and a new voice could help.

Reactions: 3 people
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19054267/women-final-four-mississippi-state-bulldogs-south-carolina-gamecocks-playing-championship-sec-already-winner

Great article by espn and I think they're correct that Pat would be proud of the conference she built...

But extremely sad to see all these articles talking about TN as the team that was. It's like we've already been written into the history books ��

That hurts.

Thanks for posting the link!

Considering that SC & MS never won a Title and it's MS first time in the Final Four, I'm not that sad Tennessee isn't playing. Yes I'm disappointed but winning all the time (see UConn) can become somewhat boring.

The Lady Vols having very bad seasons of late has an opportunity next season to get a positive spot light back on them and hopefully regain their Final Four appearances. Lots to look forward to I can only hope it all works out for the best.

What would Pat think? Depends on whether we're talking about Pat, the figure head of ladies' basketball, or Pat, the head coach of the Tennessee Lady Vols. What she said to the nationwide audience would be different from what she told her team and local fans. Pat demanded perfection from her team.

But extremely sad to see all these articles talking about TN as the team that was. It's like we've already been written into the history books 📚

That hurts....

The Coach Pat Summitt era is history.
And a great and pertinent one.

A university's relevance and history is tied to it's present coach, not it's name.
Alabama's successful years are tied to the Bear and Nick. etc...People can't talk of UCLA's run without mentioning Wooden...Duke, Coach K or Coach Gail G.
etc

Not convinced?
Name Baylor's Coach before Mulkey....(Google search doesn't count)

Coach Warlick began her own era of history the minute she took the reins.

The Tennessee name will endure...Holly's impact will determine if she will.

That hurts....

A university's relevance and history is tied to it's present coach, not it's name.
Alabama's successful years are tied to the Bear and Nick. etc...People can't talk of UCLA's run without mentioning Wooden...Duke, Coach K or Coach Gail G.
etc

Not convinced?

Well said!

Holly has all the pieces of a championship team-- the #1 recruiting class coming in and all of her key players returning and committed to being elite. They need coaching, though, so I hope she'll take an honest look at herself and her staff and see where she can make positive changes and upgrades for the good of the program. A fresh perspective and a new voice could help.

Hope the incoming class has the following: a legit PG,a shooting guard, a power forward, and a dominant post player. Haven't had those in combination for a while.

That hurts....

etc

Not convinced?

The Tennessee program will forever remain relevant because of its impact upon the game of women's basketball. Because of its relevants, the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame is located in Knoxville. There is not a single college or university that can boast of such an impact. At this point, let us pray and hope that Holly can turn around her fortunes and create her own positive impact upon this program and women's basketball. With what she has next year the ball is in her court.

Has there ever been another conference that sent 2 teams to the championship game before? We've done it 3 times.

Has there ever been another conference that sent 2 teams to the championship game before? We've done it 3 times.

ACC with Duke and Maryland in 2006.

Big East with UConn and Louisville in 2009 and 2013.

Don't recall if ND and UConn were still part of the Big East when they played in 2014.

Last edited:
The Tennessee program will forever remain relevant because of its impact upon the game of women's basketball. Because of its relevants, the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame is located in Knoxville. There is not a single college or university that can boast of such an impact. At this point, let us pray and hope that Holly can turn around her fortunes and create her own positive impact upon this program and women's basketball. With what she has next year the ball is in her court.

You are aware there is open talk of moving it from Knoxville. This talk is coming from many different organizations....NCAA, WBCA, & current and former coaches.

To me "relevant" is a moving target. Yes, the LV program and CPS were relevant and changed the course of women's college basketball. Can I say that the LV program and CHW are relevant now? NO, they are not changing the landscape or course of women's college basketball. They typically are only mentioned as a history note.

VN Store

Back