Question for Connecticut fans

lvocd

I was just sitting here thinking, and for the life of me I can't remember the last time Auriemma lost a game to a team coached by a man. Odd that even crossed my mind, and there have been so few Connecticut losses over the years, but still I am only remembering losses to Pat, Muffett McGraw, Tara, Gail Goestenkors... maybe Kim Mulkey??? (Can't remember if Baylor has ever beaten CT)

Anyone know?

My Question to U Cons is

"How's it feel to be on the long slide down hill?" Bwhahhhaahahaaaha

Reactions: 3 people
Didn't DePaul beat them some years back?

Doug Bruno maybe. I remember them giving UCONN some competition one year, but I can't recall if they beat them or not.

My Question to U Cons is

"How's it feel to be on the long slide down hill?" Bwhahhhaahahaaaha

I'm sure their fans will swing by here around this time next year after Conn. wins the championship to remind you how ridiculous that question was. Ugh.

Bill Fennelly - Iowa State
Harry Penetta - Villanova
Leon Barmore - LA Tech
Possibly Andy Landers - UGA

Sure he had more prior to their first NC.

Reactions: 1 person
Bob Starkey back in 2007. He was the interim head coach, but led LSU to a dominant win over the Huskies.

Weird but sort of fascinating question that would never have occurred to me. In the last ten years the teams to beat Uconn are Standford (3), ND (7), Baylor (2) and St John's (Barnes Arico 1) and Rutgers (1). So all women coaches.
Prior to that:
2007 add in Pat, Sylvia, CViv, and LSU I guess answered above. Pokey was HC most of the year.
2006 Sylvia, Pat, CViv twice and Gail
2005 Tara, BC - Cathy Inglese, CViv, Muffett, Pat, MSU - JPM, ASU - Joan Bonvicini, Sylvia
2004 Gail, Muffett, Harry Perretta, BC- Cathy
2003 Harry
So as a full time head coach the answer is Harry Perretta in both 2003 and 2004, but as the HC on the sidelines in a game Bob Starkey in the elite 8 in 2007

Yeah, not sure what the point is.

The point was simply that I'd thought about it and then became curious enough to ask other people if they knew. No need for anyone to visit their shrink or anything. No deep, hidden meaning for the thread. Just curiosity on MY part. :blink: Figured a lot of CT fans would be dropping by here who would know. (Lots of them lurk here)

weird but sort of fascinating question that would never have occurred to me. In the last ten years the teams to beat uconn are standford (3), nd (7), baylor (2) and st john's (barnes arico 1) and rutgers (1). So all women coaches.
Prior to that:
2007 add in pat, sylvia, cviv, and lsu i guess answered above. Pokey was hc most of the year.
2006 sylvia, pat, cviv twice and gail
2005 tara, bc - cathy inglese, cviv, muffett, pat, msu - jpm, asu - joan bonvicini, sylvia
2004 gail, muffett, harry perretta, bc- cathy
2003 harry
so as a full time head coach the answer is harry perretta in both 2003 and 2004, but as the hc on the sidelines in a game bob starkey in the elite 8 in 2007

thank you!!!!!

Weird but sort of fascinating question that would never have occurred to me. In the last ten years the teams to beat Uconn are Standford (3), ND (7), Baylor (2) and St John's (Barnes Arico 1) and Rutgers (1). So all women coaches.
Prior to that:
2007 add in Pat, Sylvia, CViv, and LSU I guess answered above. Pokey was HC most of the year.
2006 Sylvia, Pat, CViv twice and Gail
2005 Tara, BC - Cathy Inglese, CViv, Muffett, Pat, MSU - JPM, ASU - Joan Bonvicini, Sylvia
2004 Gail, Muffett, Harry Perretta, BC- Cathy
2003 Harry
So as a full time head coach the answer is Harry Perretta in both 2003 and 2004, but as the HC on the sidelines in a game Bob Starkey in the elite 8 in 2007

Nice job of digging up facts ! Thank you for taking the time.

So, per your research in the last 10 years UConn lost 14 times and 7 of those were to ND. Those ND losses were, it seemed, to Skylar Diggins and her various side kicks.

In the last 14 years which included two down periods as pointed up by Amber UConn lost 39 times of which only two were to men but 3 losses in total two to Harry.

So the real question is does Geno know as much about women as he says he does? God bless him if he does. I sure as hell don't. :)

Last edited:
all I know is, for a team and coach that has been so dominate the past 6-8 years, why do you feel the need to cry like babies and make excuses when you lose a single game? Trying to blame an obvious academy award winning flop (which the refs saw and that is why there wasn't a call) on your loss? I really expected the coach to handle his interviews post game with a little more class that the better team simply won, instead of hinting that a few calls cost them the win....

VN Store

Back