Hamilton Heights vs Miami Country Day (HS Championship)

Amb3096

Chance to see Massengill and some other potential Tennessee recruits in action.

At halftime, Miami leading 42-24. Miami has some really good perimeter shooters.

Massengill isn't having a good game...she missed a lot of shots; she has tried to be a vocal leader but the team hasn't been able to respond to getting knocked down. They just aren't competing well today.

I understand Amber Hunt is the coaches daughter but she shouldn't be starting imo and her and the 6'6" girl shouldn't be playing much together, neither seems to make it pass have court on defense

Reactions: 1 person
How is this Alvarez kid from Miami a 3 star player rated as the 23rd best shooting guard in her class? There are supposedly 22 guards in her class? Holly best be getting on that!

I understand Amber Hunt is the coaches daughter but she shouldn't be starting imo and her and the 6'6" girl shouldn't be playing much together, neither seems to make it pass have court on defense

Amber is a senior and will be moving on.

Sometimes I forget how young these kids are! Jasmine and Elizabeth are juniors and Treasure and Carodosa are just freshmen. Most everyone will be back next year and hopefully they improve their games?

My favorite is Balogun as she is a more rounded player with skills on offense and defense! Hopefully she will join Jasmine at UT!!

They must have stayed up late watching the MSU/UC game and didn't wake up enough to play this morning?

How is this Alvarez kid from Miami a 3 star player rated as the 23rd best shooting guard in her class? There are supposedly 22 guards in her class? Holly best be getting on that!

Exactly! She is a beast!

Exactly! She is a beast!

how valid the high school rankings are. I mean, we've recruited a lot of national top 25 players who simply weren't very good in college---and meanwhile you see a lot of talented players at various colleges who weren't ranked at all. You want to cast a fairly wide net and not just be locked into the rankings every year. You also need to really evaluate kids for the potential going forward.

I've watch some Hamilton Heights games this year. They are a better team then showed up today, Yesterday they beat an undefeated team 30-0 in overtime. This is a small school in Chattanooga only 70 students. There boy's team is fantastic also. The Amber Hunt girl will be playing for Alabama State next year, I was at the game where she scored her 1,000 point. Most of the team will be back next year. The Miami girl's just caught fire today, I believe Hamilton Heights could beat this team but not today. I've talked with the coach and she is a very smart and nice person.

Neither of these teams played a game in over a month until Friday.

Hamilton Heights played a national schedule, went 29-2 beating some of the best teams in the country along the way and got beat by a team that has been considered a top 5 team for the last 3 years. They have potentially 6 or 7 D1 recruits on their team and they were a senior lead team.

I've seen Hamilton Heights play with much more efficiency and smarts against teams at the same level as Miami Country Day.

Massengill is highly rated because of her entire body of work, not just this one game. Balogun is going to be great and is a must get for the Lady Vols.

Country Day lost last year to Ribault but beat them this year by 6, otherwise Rennia and Ribault would've been playing in this tournament.

Many states don't allow their teams to play past their state tourneys so teams like Clovis West out of California or Centennial out of Las Vegas who both finished in the top 4 in rankings were not able to play.

Hamilton Heights has been much better in the many times I've seen them play prior to today. Not really wise to come to any conclusions based on this one game... other than the fact that Alvarez is highly under ranked.

Hamilton Heights must've still been tired from their OT victory during the semis. I didn't get to see much of the championship game but I did catch the semifinal.

Balogun: The girl can ball. Watching her highlights does her no justice. I'm glad I got to finally see her in action. She doesn't need the ball in her hands to make an impact. Her defensive ability is something Tennessee needs. It's like she doesn't get tired. In the semi finals she had 14 points, nine rebounds and seven blocks. She was the catalyst on defense. Tennessee needs a defensive stopper like Balogun. Very impressed.

Massengill: Tall point guard who uses her height to see over the defender and looks for her open teammates first. She started off slow missing a couple easy shots but she didn't let that get to her, finishing the game with 12 points, six rebounds, three assists and three steals. One thing I like about Massengill is her leadership ability. Towards the end of regulation in the semi finals, Cardosa went to the line for a one and one and Massengill pulled her to the side and gave her a nice talk before the free-throws. This season we really lacked a leader. With Diamond and Mercedes being seniors next year hopefully both will be more vocal leaders.

If Treasure Hunt and Cardosa are only freshman Holly should keep Hamilton Heights number on file.

She has been to several of there games, I've talk with her a couple times at there games.

Hamilton Heights must've still been tired from their OT victory during the semis. I didn't get to see much of the championship game but I did catch the semifinal.

Balogun: The girl can ball. Watching her highlights does her no justice. I'm glad I got to finally see her in action. She doesn't need the ball in her hands to make an impact. Her defensive ability is something Tennessee needs. It's like she doesn't get tired. In the semi finals she had 14 points, nine rebounds and seven blocks. She was the catalyst on defense. Tennessee needs a defensive stopper like Balogun. Very impressed.

Massengill: Tall point guard who uses her height to see over the defender and looks for her open teammates first. She started off slow missing a couple easy shots but she didn't let that get to her, finishing the game with 12 points, six rebounds, three assists and three steals. One thing I like about Massengill is her leadership ability. Towards the end of regulation in the semi finals, Cardosa went to the line for a one and one and Massengill pulled her to the side and gave her a nice talk before the free-throws. This season we really lacked a leader. With Diamond and Mercedes being seniors next year hopefully both will be more vocal leaders.

If Treasure Hunt and Cardosa are only freshman Holly should keep Hamilton Heights number on file.

We have offered Treasure and so have a host of other schools. But have not offered Carodosa? She is just a Freshman and doesn't bring the ball down like Mercedes.... to me that speaks volumes!! Mercedes is still letting the minions take the ball away from her and you have a Freshman who at least has that skill. She will get better and better and she is 6'6"!!! And in a program that is a strong program! Potential potential potential 😁

We can't let another 6'6" player get by us like McCowan did. That was a terrible recruiting job by the Tennessee staff.

We have offered Treasure and so have a host of other schools. But have not offered Carodosa? She is just a Freshman and doesn't bring the ball down like Mercedes.... to me that speaks volumes!! Mercedes is still letting the minions take the ball away from her and you have a Freshman who at least has that skill. She will get better and better and she is 6'6"!!! And in a program that is a strong program! Potential potential potential 😁

Exactly PSG. When they said Cardosa was a freshman I couldn't believe it. Although she gave up a lot of rebounds to shorter players the girl has potential. She's more mobile and agile than Mercedes as well and she's already a better defender than Russell. I'd offer both freshman, but we have plenty of time. Treasure didn't stand out like I expected her to, but the size, skill and potential is there. I can see why she has plenty of offers.

Exactly PSG. When they said Cardosa was a freshman I couldn't believe it. Although she gave up a lot of rebounds to shorter players the girl has potential. She's more mobile and agile than Mercedes as well and she's already a better defender than Russell. I'd offer both freshman, but we have plenty of time. Treasure didn't stand out like I expected her to, but the size, skill and potential is there. I can see why she has plenty of offers.
I

Treasure is better than Jasmine or Balogun.... she just does not know it!!!! Everyone that plays sports has that moment when the mental light comes on and you realize that you can play at that level. Realize she is not sixteen yet and cannot drive a car as of yet.... she will get there.

And I agree with you about Caradosa.... she will be better than Mercedes. She already has some basketball skills that Mercedes has not learned yet!
But she is a freshman also. Time will tell and let's hope we can get them???

VN Store

Back