PodCast Have some Vols fans become 2 negative?

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
Tennessee football podcast: Have some Vols fans become too negative for their own good?
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee fans are ready to see their sports team win championships, that much is clear.
Coach Butch Jones has made progress during his four years, bringing the Vols back to Top 25 status the past two years, ending an 11-year losing streak to Florida and beating a Top 25 team on the road for the first time in 10 years.
But for some fans, Tennessee’s improvement isn’t happening fast enough.
Other fans are tired of the Vols not winning big in other sports, such as men’s basketball or baseball.
That has led to abundance of displeasure being expressed on social media channels, even to the point that the Vols new chancellor is getting negative feedback.
SECcountry.com’s Mike Griffith and WNML’s Josh Ward discuss in today’s podcast.

Tennessee football podcast: Have some Vols fans become too negative for their own good?
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee fans are ready to see their sports team win championships, that much is clear.
Coach Butch Jones has made progress during his four years, bringing the Vols back to Top 25 status the past two years, ending an 11-year losing streak to Florida and beating a Top 25 team on the road for the first time in 10 years.
But for some fans, Tennessee’s improvement isn’t happening fast enough.
Other fans are tired of the Vols not winning big in other sports, such as men’s basketball or baseball.
That has led to abundance of displeasure being expressed on social media channels, even to the point that the Vols new chancellor is getting negative feedback.
SECcountry.com’s Mike Griffith and WNML’s Josh Ward discuss in today’s podcast.

UT has not been to SECCG since 07 & we have not won the SEC since 1998. We have so much to be positive about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
My 2 cents are that football is making progress--Maybe not as fast as I would like, but if we could make the SECCG this year and win a bowl game, that will be acceptable progress for me. I am happy with the Rick Barnes hire and will give him time to get back to the dance. Softball has regressed a little this year, but still has a chance to get a championship. I am wait and see on the great class Holly is bringing in for next year, but this year was unacceptable as far as I am concerned.

The rest of the sports are absolute disasters and I am embarrassed by being at the bottom of the barrel in the conference in all of them. There are no excuses for sucking in every single one of these sports. The sad thing is I don't believe the Davenport/Currie couple have the motivation or competency to improve things. I hope I am wrong, but what I have seen of Davenport/Currie doesn't restore any confidence that we will win championships. Davenport is too PC and I am sure she will make sure that compliance to Title 9 is followed to the extreme. (Football and BB players beware). Currie is a wait and see, but I am still not sure if he can bring championships to UT.

Reactions: 2 people
My 2 cents are that football is making progress--Maybe not as fast as I would like, but if we could make the SECCG this year and win a bowl game, that will be acceptable progress for me. I am happy with the Rick Barnes hire and will give him time to get back to the dance. Softball has regressed a little this year, but still has a chance to get a championship. I am wait and see on the great class Holly is bringing in for next year, but this year was unacceptable as far as I am concerned.

The rest of the sports are absolute disasters and I am embarrassed by being at the bottom of the barrel in the conference in all of them. There are no excuses for sucking in every single one of these sports. The sad thing is I don't believe the Davenport/Currie couple have the motivation or competency to improve things. I hope I am wrong, but what I have seen of Davenport/Currie doesn't restore any confidence that we will win championships. Davenport is too PC and I am sure she will make sure that compliance to Title 9 is followed to the extreme. (Football and BB players beware). Currie is a wait and see, but I am still not sure if he can bring championships to UT.

But it's too late--you already have. Davenport is too PC for you? She's the Chancellor of a state university--a mostly academic institution. What do you want her do: Put a chaw of tobacco in her mouth and put on a baseball cap and ride around the football practice field in a golf cart with Jones? Get real.

Currie hasn't been on the job for a month. That said, Currie needs to sack Warlick as she's been an absolute disaster for 5 years--terrible hire--and keeping her will just further extend the women's basketball team's pretender status. UConn--our former big rival--is about to win its 5th straight national title and we've been a 7th seed and a 5th seed in the SEC tourney the last two years, and lost 26 games! UConn has won, like, 110 straight games and we've lost 26 in two years. One can't overstate how bad she's been. Currie should also sack the volleyball coach, who can't recruit, and after that Serrano, who seems to know what he's doing but can't win in the SEC.

Reactions: 3 people
When you have the overblown media coverage that is focused on Tennessee sports, and idiots like Mike Griffith, Josh Ward, Will West, Clay Travis, John Adams, and the dunderheads at the Tennessean doing the writing, it's no wonder the fans are negative and something completely off their rockers.

And now we have two of the worst knuckleheads discussing it. Ironic.

Last edited:
Well you have to admit that sucking on lemons for 10+ years in all sports other than softball is enough to leave a sour taste in ones mouth.

Reactions: 1 person
There's a bogeyman lurking in the shadows among Tennessee fans that is far worse than any increase in negativity. It's called indifference.

Right now there are still Tennessee fans who care enough to even BE negative, and they're only that because, like a wounded animal, sometimes the last thing they do before dying is lash out like crazy with their last bit of energy.

This, I feel, is what is happening with all the negativity. And once there's no more lashing out and total indifference takes over, that will be sad indeed. It has already happened for a great number of people.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back