So, does MSU have a chance

meekfan

After watching them do a number on the Kimster & crew I thought this might be the team to take down UCon. Then I watched last night's game. . .

Oregon looked really good against some very good teams. They totally outworked MD in their victory.
But. . . say what you will, UCon is a machine. I don't think the Duckies have realized yet what hit them last night. The game was over before the 1st quarter ended.

I just don't know what kind of offense MSU can put out there to be effective. UCon's perimeter guarding really offsets whatever fallibility they have in height in the post. That seems funny now to even say as one of their forwards scored 26 pts.

So what offense works against them? They sure are going to score a lot of points from a lot of different players. How do you keep up with them?

Reactions: 1 person
Please Ms state is going to lose by 20 . no need to question only person that can beat geno in final four is tara

After watching them do a number on the Kimster & crew I thought this might be the team to take down UCon. Then I watched last night's game. . .

Oregon looked really good against some very good teams. They totally outworked MD in their victory.
But. . . say what you will, UCon is a machine. I don't think the Duckies have realized yet what hit them last night. The game was over before the 1st quarter ended.

I just don't know what kind of offense MSU can put out there to be effective. UCon's perimeter guarding really offsets whatever fallibility they have in height in the post. That seems funny now to even say as one of their forwards scored 26 pts.

So what offense works against them? They sure are going to score a lot of points from a lot of different players. How do you keep up with them?

Have to find a way to get the ball to McCowan to free up the perimeter players. Then the guards have to be able to hit the open shots when the ball games back out of the paint. McCowan's size is literally the only advantage they have, so she has to be involved in almost any play.

Morgan also has a sizeable speed advantage against the starting UConn guards. She will have to find ways to get around Nurse.

MSU will have to play a perfect game and have to hope UConn isn't red hot from deep. That's all I can think of.

Please Ms state is going to lose by 20 . no need to question only person that can beat geno in final four is tara

Oregon had the most success offensively when it ran screens in the mid-to-high post; otherwise, UConn's length and athleticism led to a swat and steal with just about every post entry pass. MSU's going to have to get creative in thinking about how to get McCowan the ball.

MSU can beat UCONN if MSU plays their "A" game and UCONN plays less than their "A" game as they played against Tulane (UCONN won by 2 or 3 points). Oregon looked good in previous games. However, they played over their heads, so to speak. They lost 13 times before they played UCONN. They were not a good team.

MSU can beat UCONN if MSU plays their "A" game and UCONN plays less than their "A" game as they played against Tulane (UCONN won by 2 or 3 points). Oregon looked good in previous games. However, they played over their heads, so to speak. They lost 13 times before they played UCONN. They were not a good team.

They also had a losing record in conference.

NO. Plain and Simple.
uconn posts shot from the outside,where does that leave McCowan?

The word "close" is relative. The final score will be a lot closer than last year's 60-point beat down.

I think it'll be a 20-30 point win for Connecticut. Only way Mississippi State can pull off the upset is if they can hit open looks, dominate the post/glass and if Vivians gets hot. The only way to beat this Connecticut team is to outscore them and limit their shot opportunities. If they can get Gabby Williams in foul trouble and actually body up Collier, they could be in a spot to hang with the Huskies for a while.

Hell yes MSU has a chance!!!!!!

Then the ref will throw up the ball and UConn will win by 30

MSU will have to deal with Uconn length and not turn the ball over early. They have to keep Uconn perimeter shots to a minimum AND they have to have a great offensive game like they did against Baylor to pull it off. Vic has to call the TO out the right times. If Uconn gets up by more than 8 it's over.

I think the full court man to man will cause problems for uconn because they don't have a true point guard & no player that can kill opposing teams with quickness.

Tee, I guess you didn't see the Uconn/Syracuse game. Uconn has 6 players that can handle the ball. They cruised through the press and scored many, many layups. Gabby Williams was the chief press breaker. Then, Uconn took apart their vaunted zone defense. Game over.

There is always a chance that every shot you throw up goes in. Miss St probably has to shoot 50 percent less than 10 turnovers and get to the foul line 20 times to have a chance to win.

Tee, I guess you didn't see the Uconn/Syracuse game. Uconn has 6 players that can handle the ball. They cruised through the press and scored many, many layups. Gabby Williams was the chief press breaker. Then, Uconn took apart their vaunted zone defense. Game over.

A zone press is easy to beat, it's a lot different when it's a man to man press.

You have to get them in foul trouble (especially Williams or Collier) Geno doesn't trust Butler or Dangerfield for long stretches but seeing as though UConn will be the ones who get the calls it will never happen, I don't think it will be by 20 but I think they still lose by 10

You have to get them in foul trouble (especially Williams or Collier) Geno doesn't trust Butler or Dangerfield for long stretches but seeing as though UConn will be the ones who get the calls it will never happen, I don't think it will be by 20 but I think they still lose by 10

That is the only way they lose... Williams and Collier in foul trouble.

Interestingly, MSU is one of the best in the country at getting to the foul line (#6) -- right after South Carolina at #5.

Baylor was actually #1...

A zone press is easy to beat, it's a lot different when it's a man to man press.
Gabby Williams is probably the fastest on the floor with the exception of MAYBE William - so, which big is going to be covering Williams on that man to man press, and do you think Williams will wait for them to catch up once she reaches the basket 10 feet in front of them? Williams plays 'center' but she came out of HS as a guard and handles the ball like a guard in breaking pressure.
This also may be the game that Dangerfield actually contributes in as she will not be height challenged against William and is pretty fast in her own right.

The problem with full court pressure is that Uconn has five good passers and five pretty agile players on the court all the time, and most teams play one or two slower big players who can't keep up. Zone pressure sometimes works, but man is generally a disaster leading to either layups or uncontested threes.

I think the full court man to man will cause problems for uconn because they don't have a true point guard & no player that can kill opposing teams with quickness.

As someone else posted, all of the UConn starters can handle the ball. They have 5 players with over 100 assists. However, Saniya Chong has played what most would consider a traditional point for the team this year. She led the NCAA in A/TO (3.1) for most of the season.

Interestingly, MSU is one of the best in the country at getting to the foul line (#6) -- right after South Carolina at #5.

Baylor was actually #1...
I was gonna say for all the talk about UConn getting all the calls they rank 23rd in the country. Which is odd considering they move on offense much much more than 97% of the teams in WCBB. How do you expect to get a foul call standing around looking at each other? Or dribbling aimlessly. The SEC is where all the fouls happen, they take physical defense real seriously.

UConn doesn't want to bang down low with anyone. One because they done have the roster for that and two the whole offense is predicated on easy baskets. They want lay ups or pull up jumpers within the offense. 3s created by great passing or transition buckets off an opponent miss or a steal. Fouls slow the game down and thats not what they want. Hard to get in a rhythm when you are spending half your time walking back and forth from foul line to foul line.

It is hard for me to imagine MSU winning but they have some things they can do to keep it close enough to give them a chance @ the end:

1. Get off to a good start-- Over the course of the season the 1st quarter has been their worse. That can doom you against UConn.

2. Get back in transition-- I thought they did a pretty good job with that vs Baylor although Baylor didn't really seem all that interested in running. If Collier & Williams consistently beat MSU's bigs down the floor that is going to spell trouble.

3. Make the easy ones-- If in fact their bigs do get an entry pass they had better make it count. You need either 2 points, a foul, or better yet & and 1.

4. Guard Play-- If you don't have this everything else isn't going to mean anything. I keep trying to tell people but they don't listen... You can put a bunch of 9 foot tall Amazon's on the court and you still won't UConn. You DO NOT beat UConn with post play. When you are a freshmen at UConn the very first thing you learn is how to deny a post entry pass... they take that away first. Guards have got to hit shots period.

5. Strategy-- UConn WILL go on a run so you better have something prepared in advance for that. DO NOT pick and choose. I don't know why I see this every year but some coach in every tournament decides well we are going to leave so & so open... Nobody should be left open.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back