so Tennessee goes 3-1 against the Final Four

Maybe it was great coaching? :unsure: Why is it that the talent won those particular games, while coaching is to blame for the mountain of losses? Serious Q.

Great coaching doesn't equate to 26 losses in a two year period, even if they score the occasional upset.

Coaching has been unable to get this team to play at their peak level on a consistent basis. There's no denying that.

Reactions: 9 people

You are totally wrong! Barnes may be one of the best X and O coaches we have ever had. I think Barnes analyzes recruits abilities and develops them better than any coach we have ever had!!! Hubbs isn't that great of an example. I think Hubbs was very overrated and didn't give Barnes a chance to develop him the last two years. Hubbs should have easily averaged more than 20ppg this season and was on track to do it until the last half of the season. Had he kept playing up to his potential. We may have made the NCAA this year. What did Barnes do with Punter last year and the FRESHMEN THIS YEAR?

Had we not lost Detrick Mostella and John Fulkerson and not had many FRESHMAN players that weren't use to the GRIND of so many games. I think this years team easily makes the NCAA and finishes in the top 5 in the league with several freshmen and sophomores getting a ton of playing time. We gave UNC and Oregon a run for their money. We were in the game at times and didn't get beat badly by Gonzaga and Wisconsin either. We did this with a ton of freshmen and sophomore play that aren't all four and five star players like most other top programs. How did these four teams do in the NCAA Tournament? How about UK that we beat???

We aren't UK and UF with a boat load of talent. We also didn't have the veteran leadership that SC has with 3 seniors who combined for half of their points. Instead, we have Hubbs and Evans who combined for 16 pts, not 32 pts like USC seniors. We had FIVE FRESHMAN that accounted for 40.6 ppg of our 74.5 ppg with Fulkerson leading the team in FG% before he got hurt!!!

Why don't you do some FACT FINDING before you call out a future Hall of Fame coach that is still a GREAT COACH??? Barnes just needs to do a better job of recruiting. Hopefully, that will come soon!!! You go ahead and make your case why other coaches UT has had were better than Barnes with the exception of Mears. Pearl had much more talent when he was here and inherited a good roster. Look at what Barnes inherited.

Barnes will prove you wrong next year. He isn't ever going to be a top ten coach in the country. But, you saying he isn't a great coach is asinine. You do know he took his teams to the NCAA Tournament 17 years in a row. How many coaches have went 17 years in a row???

Several say his time has past. I don't think so. I still think he has several more productive years ahead of him, especially IF he recruits the TALENT. The freshmen we had this year weren't a bunch of 4-5 star players. But, Barnes developed them well and they are talented!!! We just need a few ELITE sprinkled in with them to be GREAT!!!

This is the Lady Vol forum

Reactions: 5 people
Tennessee wins when they get bench help and consistent play from the other two starters. When this does not happen we can lose to anybody that is average. The big three always gave us 50 points or more. The bench and other two starters could give us less than 10 points or up to 30 points. We won when they went for 25 to 30.

Reactions: 4 people
Maybe it was great coaching? :unsure: Why is it that the talent won those particular games, while coaching is to blame for the mountain of losses? Serious Q.

Lineups change, the coaching staff (Holly) hasn't. The talent has always been available for Tennessee. The coaching is questionable. I dare say the 3-1 against the final four was more about talent that coaching!

Reactions: 1 person

showed that we had talent and that we could play at a high level. But if you only play at a high level once every five games, your potential is meaningless. And that is on the coach, who's supposed to get the team to play at their high level consistently--every game, ideally. Playing a good game now and then gets you the crap seasons that we've had. :cray:

Reactions: 4 people
showed that we had talent and that we could play at a high level. But if you only play at a high level once every five games, your potential is meaningless. And that is on the coach, who's supposed to get the team to play at their high level consistently--every game, ideally. Playing a good game now and then gets you the crap seasons that we've had. :cray:

"play at a high level"

The last game points this out very well. Played ho hum for first 3&3/4 qtrs. then tried to come back. To late. For me it is the coach's JOB during a game to make sure everyone is putting forth 100%. Sorry, I just don't see this ability in Holly.

And don't tell me about short bench, ect. Somebody on there WANTS to play. It makes no difference to me how good they can play, just play at 100% all the time. If you win good deal, if you lose, well at least you did it the right way, giving 100% all the time.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee wins when they get bench help and consistent play from the other two starters. When this does not happen we can lose to anybody that is average. The big three always gave us 50 points or more. The bench and other two starters could give us less than 10 points or up to 30 points. We won when they went for 25 to 30.

Very good analysis.

"play at a high level"

The last game points this out very well. Played ho hum for first 3&3/4 qtrs. then tried to come back. To late. For me it is the coach's JOB during a game to make sure everyone is putting forth 100%. Sorry, I just don't see this ability in Holly.

And don't tell me about short bench, ect. Somebody on there WANTS to play. It makes no difference to me how good they can play, just play at 100% all the time. If you win good deal, if you lose, well at least you did it the right way, giving 100% all the time.

Holly lacks the fear motivation factor that was and is present in Geno and Pat. All of her players like Holly. Unfortunately, this "like" does not translate into consistent high performance.

Actually, 3-1 indicates we lost to Connecticut.

We're 3-0 against three of the four finalists. :p

All this is interesting but it does not matter....

all it means is if we feel like playing tough, we can beat anybody....

too bad we are not coming to play each and every game

Not sure why this was so complicated for so many, either the math or the fact that it was posted in a LADY VOLS forum....

Reactions: 2 people
Great coaching doesn't equate to 26 losses in a two year period, even if they score the occasional upset.

Coaching has been unable to get this team to play at their peak level on a consistent basis. There's no denying that.

Are we talking about football or basketball....oh wait...

VN Store

Back