DNJ Article on Hayes + Westbrook and Their TN Commitment

This is great, however, several great high school 5 stars have played in Holly's program, and that consistent greatness has faded at the college level. Holly has to learn to develope, inspire and motivate her players, even 5 stars. Until Holly's coaching improves(Which I doubt) or we get rid of her for a real coach, Like Nancy Lieberman, etc., we will not get within an earshot of a National Championship. We need a coach that possess the ability to put us in position to beat UCONN, or at least to consistently be in the final four.

Reactions: 1 person
This is great, however, several great high school 5 stars have played in Holly's program, and that consistent greatness has faded at the college level. Holly has to learn to develope, inspire and motivate her players, even 5 stars. Until Holly's coaching improves(Which I doubt) or we get rid of her for a real coach, Like Nancy Lieberman, etc., we will not get within an earshot of a National Championship. We need a coach that possess the ability to put us in position to beat UCONN, or at least to consistently be in the final four.

They need to get back to the SEC title game first. Baby steps. I mean I am not sure if they could have played any worse than they played in their last SEC final appearance. Rectify that first and foremost.

Let's see what these new kids do. It is very apparent the freshmen believe they are the missing piece to the puzzle that has become Tennessee... let's find out if they are correct.

Let's see what these new kids do. It is very apparent the freshmen believe they are the missing piece to the puzzle that has become Tennessee... let's find out if they are correct.

All freshmen believe that. Delivering is a different story.

Holly has displayed that she can assemble a team full of All-American's and produce the worst brand of basketball. If Mercedes and Diamond leave, this upcoming team won't even be the most talented team Holly has had in her tenure as head coach. I personally think that Diamond has the potential to have a Parker/Holdsclaw/Taurasi/Moore type of impact on a program. But because of coaching...

Reactions: 2 people
Holly Warlick recruits:

First year she took a team picked 5th in conference to a top 2 finish, deep run in SEC tourney and NCAA tourney. Finished 27-8 (13-3 in conference) with an Elite 8 run.

Second year she took a relatively young team to a 29-6 record, SEC champs, Sweet Sixteen and that was with loss of Massengale (who was having a great season) the last 16 games. Cedes, our top recruit we learned was struggling with major foot issues all year that limited her mobility.

Third year they finish 30-6, SEC reg. season champs, elite eight and lost Izzy for the last month of season. Since Cedes was out as well Burdick was our only post option outside of Graves.

Fourth year 22-14 with elite eight after well documented early season chemistry issues and a looming needed coaching change. Diamond was also struggling with chronic injury pain/issues and it was Cedes first year back after surgery on both feet along with losing Jasmine Jones early in the year.

This season was the first where we truly had the highest of high expectations outside of maybe the 2014/15 class when Izzy ended her career with an ACL.

Prior to season beginning we lose Draya to chronic knee pain from injuries and our probable starting point guard tears her ACL leaving us with no true point guard and two guards who either saw very limited time as a freshman (Jackson) or was very much a role player rather than a consistent contributor (Middleton).

We most definitely lost games we had no business losing. But we relied heavily on three players, two of which had significantly better years than any previous seasons (Nared and Russell).

In WCBB you have to have strong guard play and at least some form of leadership. Reynolds was far too passive. Look at the best teams. UConn has Nurse with Dangerfield behind her. Baylor with Alexis Jones. Washington was able to be as good as they were because their best player was their point guard. Miss St. has Morgan William. Notre Dame has Allen. Pat's best teams always had a level headed and vocal lead guard who wasn't afraid to get in the face of others. Holly has not had that. Ariel had her moments but she spent the better half of her career with concussion issues or other various injuries.

I may be reaching some but there has been a lot that has happened to Tennesee's recruits, offseasons and coaches that no other elite program has had to deal with in terms of amount of said obstacles.

With that long rant, I remain opportunistic because Holly, if health is on our side, is going to have a full slate of potentially elite guards to go along with the top notch wing/s and added talent and depth in the front court.

Reactions: 5 people

Well said .

Holly Warlick recruits:

First year she took a team picked 5th in conference to a top 2 finish, deep run in SEC tourney and NCAA tourney. Finished 27-8 (13-3 in conference) with an Elite 8 run.

Second year she took a relatively young team to a 29-6 record, SEC champs, Sweet Sixteen and that was with loss of Massengale (who was having a great season) the last 16 games. Cedes, our top recruit we learned was struggling with major foot issues all year that limited her mobility.

Third year they finish 30-6, SEC reg. season champs, elite eight and lost Izzy for the last month of season. Since Cedes was out as well Burdick was our only post option outside of Graves.

Fourth year 22-14 with elite eight after well documented early season chemistry issues and a looming needed coaching change. Diamond was also struggling with chronic injury pain/issues and it was Cedes first year back after surgery on both feet along with losing Jasmine Jones early in the year.

This season was the first where we truly had the highest of high expectations outside of maybe the 2014/15 class when Izzy ended her career with an ACL.

Prior to season beginning we lose Draya to chronic knee pain from injuries and our probable starting point guard tears her ACL leaving us with no true point guard and two guards who either saw very limited time as a freshman (Jackson) or was very much a role player rather than a consistent contributor (Middleton).

We most definitely lost games we had no business losing. But we relied heavily on three players, two of which had significantly better years than any previous seasons (Nared and Russell).

In WCBB you have to have strong guard play and at least some form of leadership. Reynolds was far too passive. Look at the best teams. UConn has Nurse with Dangerfield behind her. Baylor with Alexis Jones. Washington was able to be as good as they were because their best player was their point guard. Miss St. has Morgan William. Notre Dame has Allen. Pat's best teams always had a level headed and vocal lead guard who wasn't afraid to get in the face of others. Holly has not had that. Ariel had her moments but she spent the better half of her career with concussion issues or other various injuries.

I may be reaching some but there has been a lot that has happened to Tennesee's recruits, offseasons and coaches that no other elite program has had to deal with in terms of amount of said obstacles.

With that long rant, I remain opportunistic because Holly, if health is on our side, is going to have a full slate of potentially elite guards to go along with the top notch wing/s and added talent and depth in the front court.

At some point all the excuse making has to stop and people understand that this program is a dumpster fire with Holly warlick at the helm.It will not change until a real head coach is in charge.

Mark my words ,with the 4 added Mcdonalds AA added to next years squad you and others will be coming back to this board next year at this same time conjuring up another set of excuses why the team lost 10+ games and lost in the 1st or 2nd rounds of tourney .

Reactions: 4 people
Holly Warlick recruits:

I will except some of those injuries that played apart in a lot of disappointment as well as some major obstacles that were in our way to a final four like Griner and Baylor and Diggins and ND, BUT good coaches has to find a way to utilize what they have on the bench and find ways to overcome . No excuses for n3xt yr. There's no reason we should not be able to win either the regular season championship or the SEC tourney with a roster full of AAs.

Support for the three best players Nared, Russell, and Deshields was not there this season. Middleton would have a good game once in a while and when she did we won. After the big three I don't think we had anyone special even though the rankings were 28, 42,49 and 79 all top 100 players none of them were consistent and played below their ranking.
I hope the big three come back and since we'll have Cooper and Green back along with the four freshmen we'll quickly either get a lot better or the AD can fire Holly.
I hope Currie doesn't wait long the first loss to Alabama or Ole Miss should be when he pulls the trigger.

I've posted it before and I'll post it again: once I heard how these 4 ladies planned to restore the UT legacy and win national titles, I knew they would be special. I was overjoyed to find that Hayes led the charge, since she's from Tennessee.

It's clear to the casual basketball viewer that Holly isn't the best coach in the world. However, it is also painfully clear that certain players lacked the leadership, competitive fire and commitment to improving that we as fans have come to expect from our Lady Vols.

How many times has Holly said she shouldn't have to coach effort? Based on Reynolds' comments about not playing hard, we can only imagine how difficult that was.

These young ladies are clearly leaders and have the desire to play for UT. That alone won me over. I can't wait until they suit up in Orange and I'm ready to give them my full support. Other fans should do the same! 🏀🍊

Reactions: 4 people
Holly Warlick recruits:

It has been my observation that in the society we live in today it's not "what you did for me yesterday, but what did you do for me today and what will you do for me tomorrow".

I've posted it before and I'll post it again: once I heard how these 4 ladies planned to restore the UT legacy and win national titles, I knew they would be special. I was overjoyed to find that Hayes led the charge, since she's from Tennessee.

It's clear to the casual basketball viewer that Holly isn't the best coach in the world. However, it is also painfully clear that certain players lacked the leadership, competitive fire and commitment to improving that we as fans have come to expect from our Lady Vols.

How many times has Holly said she shouldn't have to coach effort? Based on Reynolds' comments about not playing hard, we can only imagine how difficult that was.

These young ladies are clearly leaders and have the desire to play for UT. That alone won me over. I can't wait until they suit up in Orange and I'm ready to give them my full support. Other fans should do the same! ����

second paragraph:
leadership, fire, ect. Coaches should be able to build fire, leadership ect.
third paragraph:
player desire . All the desire in the world cannot overcome a lack of coaching ability.

These young ladies are clearly leaders and have the desire to play for UT. That alone won me over. I can't wait until they suit up in Orange and I'm ready to give them my full support. Other fans should do the same! 🏀🍊

A coach's main job is to coach effort.
I know Pat said this many times, and Holly is just spouting it because Pat said it.

If you think Pat didn't coach effort, you just weren't paying attention.

All good points made on both sides. If Harrison stays healthy there is no doubt we play UConn for title that year. Losing both lead guards this year left this team crippled. Here is where Holly has to take blame she recruited Middleton and Jackson and Dunbar and Harris. So no bench at all. Only Middleton is SEC player but she is role player not a starter. Holly recruited then her bench. I give her credit and I am willing to give her another chance because she went out and found best recruiter in Reaves and look we have a class coming in that truly is big time, Looks like another class is forming for next year as well. Hopeully she makes one more change to bench Coach who can help these talented kids run a true motion offense that will be hard to stop. i

Reactions: 2 people
All good points made on both sides. If Harrison stays healthy there is no doubt we play UConn for title that year. Losing both lead guards this year left this team crippled. Here is where Holly has to take blame she recruited Middleton and Jackson and Dunbar and Harris. So no bench at all. Only Middleton is SEC player but she is role player not a starter. Holly recruited then her bench. I give her credit and I am willing to give her another chance because she went out and found best recruiter in Reaves and look we have a class coming in that truly is big time, Looks like another class is forming for next year as well. Hopeully she makes one more change to bench Coach who can help these talented kids run a true motion offense that will be hard to stop. i

This is why I feel like she deserves a chance to bring back UT to the level we all aspire to attain..

They need to get back to the SEC title game first. Baby steps. I mean I am not sure if they could have played any worse than they played in their last SEC final appearance. Rectify that first and foremost.

I agree 100%, however, we are going backward, not forward. You have to have a coaching staff that can produce a team that can play up to its talent. Right now that is the bigger issue, can we bring in players and have them to play up to their potential? For the last four years we have had the 5 star players, we have had the talent it is not like the talent shelves have been empty. Right now we are having issues with developing players up to the talent level they need to consistently play at the top 15 level. We see it every now and then but not where it needs to be.

Maybe the overall issue is we have an experienced coaching staff that is at the baby step level. These new recruits can only be successful as the coaching staff is able to lead them.

Last edited:
Some fans are going to be so upset when these freshmen show more leadership than Upperclassmen.

It blows my mind how fans can see Holly isn't the best but refuse to see how certain players lack leadership. Blame goes both ways.

Robin Pingeton was hired from Illinois State to become the Missouri coach

Illinois State replaced her with a very successful coach from Green Bay known for his teams overachieving. He has now been replaced for failure to win, "to motivate" or because of harassment of his players. Pingeton's success was aided by the local high school team winning three state championships and producing A-1 players. She has by her own words taken baby-steps over now five years. Illinois State has by definition gone backward rapidly even having hired an experienced coach.

Old Dominion this year won one more game than they lost - Rutgers went 6-24, Georgia 16-15, Texas Tech 14-17. I wonder if any of their fans have expectations that their team will ever return to the top 15 level?

And back to Tennessee Athletics in general - at the bottom of the SEC, And the high dollar givers are unhappy with the revenue sports. Is the fog across the athletics impacting women's basketball? all fun questions that I,a nobody, can ponder as I push keys on my computer! Go LVs

Holly Warlick recruits:

I think there's a lot of excuse making for Holly here, but want to address some of these points.

1. She started a roster with 1 Sr, 3 Jrs, and 1 sophomore in her second season. That is not a relatively young team. They had a good length of time to adjust to the loss of Ariel, and played the whole SEC season without her. Did a bangup job with Andraya playing PG. They even beat SC and won the SECT. But they choked big time in the S16, there is no denying that.

2. Losing Izzy was tough, but you (and apparently Holly) overlook the fact that Nia Moore was sitting on the bench. Knowing that MR would be out for the season, Izzy was having health issues, and Nia got off to a torrid start in Izzy's place...why was she all but banished to the end of the bench by the end of the season? Holly has no one to blame but herself for not developing her only post option on the bench.

3. Interesting take on the 4th year. They were the preseason #4, and much of the buzz here and the press was that this was a FF caliber team. Mercedes was healthy, they had the McD AA MVP coming in...but as you point out, there was chemistry issues. I agree that a coaching change needed to be made, but clearly the fired the wrong coach.

4. This season, you've elevated Te'a to "probable starting PG" when Jordan has started there the last 2 seasons. Te'a wasn't even a good facilitator. Her ATO was about even. But yet she's now wistfully remembered as being much better than she was. Draya, bless her heart...I'm sure she was a nice person, but she was a lousy basketball player. She had some nice games when Ariel was out, but she was a mentally weak player who choked and would fall apart in clutch moments. What little she brought on defense did not overcome the fact that she stonewalled the offense when she was on the court.

So the loss of these two guards, neither of whom were true PGs, now sets up the "Tennessee had no true PG" excuse. Even though Jordan was recruited by Holly to play PG, played that position over Ariel (who missed half a season with injuries, not half her career), and was the most experienced player at that position. And behind her, there was only one other McD AA who was recruited by Holly to play PG. But they really needed Te'a. Doesn't make sense. If Tennessee needs "true" PG, then why does Holly insist on recruiting combo guards? Aren't all of the incoming guards "combo guards" as well? What will be the excuse next season when you have Cooper, Middleton, Westbrook and Hayes...all AAs...if they struggle at this position? "Oh, we needed a true PG".

Reactions: 3 people
Some fans are going to be so upset when these freshmen show more leadership than Upperclassmen.

It blows my mind how fans can see Holly isn't the best but refuse to see how certain players lack leadership. Blame goes both ways.

But the buck stops with the coach.

Remember how excited we were to be getting Jordan? A big strong guard with swag? The anticipation for Alexa after she breezed through the skills competition at the McD AA game? Such high basketball IQ! Te'a, the MVP of the McD AA game. She is the missing piece we've all been waiting for! How'd that work out?

Let's see what Holly does with the freshmen before we start pinning the blame on the players. If it was 1-2 players, I would agree with your point of it going both ways. When it's everyone? That's the coach.

Holly Warlick recruits:

Dear God. You have been around Maria too much. :no:

So when the results turn out the same way, I guess you'll make the same excuses and wait for the new recruits of the next season, then the next, then the next...

Warlick can't motivate, can't develop. Doesn't matter who the recruits are. Some are already putting extreme pressure on high school kids to reinvigorate a legendary team. I guess when they struggle, it'll be them not wanting to lead or something.

VN Store

Back