Holly should reconsider....

Teejay5952

Am I the only one that thinks having the girls off of social media during the season is a bit selfish on holly part? Most players use social media as a way to expand women's basketball & expand their own fan base. For example most college athletes (girls or guys) always post something on social media the day of or the day before a game telling all their followers to tune in. I think that type of stuff really helps the women game grow.

Reactions: 1 person
Am I the only one that thinks having the girls off of social media during the season is a bit selfish on holly part? Most players use social media as a way to expand women's basketball & expand their own fan base. For example most college athletes (girls or guys) always post something on social media the day of or the day before a game telling all their followers to tune in. I think that type of stuff really helps the women game grow.

Really? Expand their own fan base? I would venture to say that by performing their best without distractoins would help expand their fan base by winning games....that alone could help the women's game grow?should Holly tuck them into bed at night too?

Reactions: 6 people
This forum has reached new heights of Holly hate. Now we've got someone starting threads bashing her for her team policy on social media during the season. Wow.

Reactions: 5 people
No Distractions. They have schollies. In effect they are being paid to do a good job. One of the problems is Holly is not tough enough. There are no penalties to any of them for not performing on a consistent basis

No Distractions. They have schollies. In effect they are being paid to do a good job. One of the problems is Holly is not tough enough. There are no penalties to any of them for not performing on a consistent basis

Wow, I didn't know we had someone on this forum that was a part of the staff!

Hate to see anyone's sincerely presented thoughts dismissed so thoroughly, Teejay. I'm guessing there might be more than a few years difference in age between you and your responders--and maybe a few decades between you and me! But all the more reason to have a conversation.

I work with boarding students at a prep school which is rigorously academic with numerous sports engaged at a high level. The school experience of my students would be similar (though not comparable in degree) to the Lady Vols, in-season and out, with the exception of travel time.

We could probably agree that it would not be good for student-athletes to be mentally or actually engaging social media during periods of time set aside for class study, academic projects, weight room/training/individual skills practice, film study, or team practice. In-season, that leaves very little time each day/night.

Socializing, developing people-skills, growing in personal confidence, discovering and practicing the norms of effective social interaction--these are actually more necessary for success in real life than academics. Studies contend that social media is not just a poor substitute for socialization, it actually promotes atrophy of necessary interpersonal skills.

I know I feel a daily obligation to the parents who've sent their students to our school (from across the country and around the world) to afford their kids real, face-to-face, opportunites for social growth and confidence.

How much more important for young people inhabiting the high profile spotlight that comes with wearing the Lady Vols uniform?

Even though social media activity has become a norm for this generation, that doesn't mean it isn't harmful, damaging, or limiting. I'm a baby-boomer who came of age in the notorious '60s. The western world has yet to recover from the damage done by the "norms" we embraced and promoted. Individual lives are still being destroyed when the "norms" we espoused are accepted without examination or critique.

As for the opportunities social media presents for effective branding--both individual and for the university--I think you'd agree that's a responsibility (especially considering the forever nature of the cyber record) an individual wouldn't want to take lightly, addressing only in their rare, spare moments. Entities with many fewer followers and much less financial impact than the "Lady Vols" typically task a full-time employee to protect and promote their brand in cyberspace. How much time in-season would our student-athletes have to give thought to what they publish socially?

So, yeah, I'm another old timer who disagrees with your premise. But hopefully you feel your ideas have been respected and that you've been treated with the same dignity as had we been engaged in face-to-face conversation.

That, after all, is the challenge of sending thoughts rendered in typed, phonetic symbols across cyberspace--with no control over how they will be translated or interpreted--in a public forum. :hi:

Last edited:
It's a minor factor in the grand scheme of the maelstrom of disaster that has become the holocaust known as the Lady Vol basketball program under the direction of Holly Warlick.

A once proud program now descended to the hellish depths of abomination, defeat and shame.

Reactions: 2 people
It's a minor factor in the grand scheme of the maelstrom of disaster that has become the holocaust known as the Lady Vol basketball program under the direction of Holly Warlick.

A once proud program now descended to the hellish depths of abomination, defeat and shame.

Don't know why I just thought of this, but... what's the designated font color for hyperbole?

Apocalyptic, dude! If you ever consider a career change, you've got the chops to write speeches for the Ayatollah or Kim Jong-un! :machgun:

It was the players' idea during the 2015-16 season. She asked if they wanted to do it again this year and they voted to do so. It's not "Holly being selfish."

Really? Expand their own fan base? I would venture to say that by performing their best without distractoins would help expand their fan base by winning games....that alone could help the women's game grow?should Holly tuck them into bed at night too?

Not if ppl aren't watching their games. Sports center/espn are not showing highlights of women's basketball. Diamond and te'a have better following on social media than 95% of the WNBA, it's because of all the highlights and other stuff they post online.

It was the players' idea during the 2015-16 season. She asked if they wanted to do it again this year and they voted to do so. It's not "Holly being selfish."

That's not true because diamond talked about it in a interview saying holly did it because of one player tweets on twitter.

uconn uses social media & it doesn't seem to be much of a distraction.

Hate to see anyone's sincerely presented thoughts dismissed so thoroughly, Teejay. I'm guessing there might be more than a few years difference in age between you and your responders--and maybe a few decades between you and me! But all the more reason to have a conversation.

I work with boarding students at a prep school which is rigorously academic with numerous sports engaged at a high level. The school experience of my students would be similar (though not comparable in degree) to the Lady Vols, in-season and out, with the exception of travel time.

We could probably agree that it would not be good for student-athletes to be mentally or actually engaging social media during periods of time set aside for class study, academic projects, weight room/training/individual skills practice, film study, or team practice. In-season, that leaves very little time each day/night.

Socializing, developing people-skills, growing in personal confidence, discovering and practicing the norms of effective social interaction--these are actually more necessary for success in real life than academics. Studies contend that social media is not just a poor substitute for socialization, it actually promotes atrophy of necessary interpersonal skills.

I know I feel a daily obligation to the parents who've sent their students to our school (from across the country and around the world) to afford their kids real, face-to-face, opportunites for social growth and confidence.

How much more important for young people inhabiting the high profile spotlight that comes with wearing the Lady Vols uniform?

Even though social media activity has become a norm for this generation, that doesn't mean it isn't harmful, damaging, or limiting. I'm a baby-boomer who came of age in the notorious '60s. The western world has yet to recover from the damage done by the "norms" we embraced and promoted. Individual lives are still being destroyed when the "norms" we espoused are accepted without examination or critique.

As for the opportunities social media presents for effective branding--both individual and for the university--I think you'd agree that's a responsibility (especially considering the forever nature of the cyber record) an individual wouldn't want to take lightly, addressing only in their rare, spare moments. Entities with many fewer followers and much less financial impact than the "Lady Vols" typically task a full-time employee to protect and promote their brand in cyberspace. How much time in-season would our student-athletes have to give thought to what they publish socially?

So, yeah, I'm another old timer who disagrees with your premise. But hopefully you feel your ideas have been respected and that you've been treated with the same dignity as had we been engaged in face-to-face conversation.

That, after all, is the challenge of sending thoughts rendered in typed, phonetic symbols across cyberspace--with no control over how they will be translated or interpreted--in a public forum. :hi:

Very good opposing viewpoint. It's nice to read a well written and rational opinion.

Reactions: 3 people

I get being mad about this season. But how is three Elite 8s in five seasons, including one last year, a "holocaust" or "hellish depths?"

I agree UT didn't meet expectations, but the lack of awareness of where the program actually is right now is stunning.

Reactions: 4 people
lol how many adoring fans are future WNBA players missing out on because they aren't on twitter for half the year?

I get being mad about this season. But how is three Elite 8s in five seasons, including one last year, a "holocaust" or "hellish depths?"

I agree UT didn't meet expectations, but the lack of awareness of where the program actually is right now is stunning.

I remember when people were wondering if the program stagnated in the early 2000s because of the NC drought. The shock that Kara Lawson and Gwen Jackson were the first Lady Vols to graduate without a NC. Then 10 years later, Shekinna and Co. became the first class to graduate without reaching the Final Four...now followed by every single player that has played for Holly.

It seems the lack of awareness comes from people like you who want to pretend that Tennessee is doing great because Quinnipiac would kill for those kind of results. Keep lowering the bar so that fans should just be happy that Tennessee makes the NCAAT with all of their 5-star players.

Reactions: 4 people
uconn uses social media & it doesn't seem to be much of a distraction.

A) lol for using the argument... UConn does it, so it is ok for the Lady Vols to do it... on this forums.

B) actually UConn does not allow the players to use social media during the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
A better plan would be to create an atmosphere of exciting NEW LEARNING within a noticeably updated, changed program plan.

The Lady Vols program is, sadly, beyond stale, and the players have lost confidence in whatever it is that Holly and her staff are selling and are no longer buying it.

If the staff is going to remain intact, then DRASTIC changes in the style, the message and the process of being Tennessee Lady Vols needs to take place.

In this way the team will begin to feel that a New Day has arrived, though maybe not quite as effectively as the instant recognition of that when a New Coach takes over.

Holly and staff absolutely CANNOT use the same practice plans, the same drills, the same plays, the same ANYTHING going into the next year. Starting now, they should be mixing it up to signal great CHANGE because, clearly, ain't nobody feelin' like the current atmosphere is working.

Change, change, and change some more! Throw out the stale parts. It's time to make the Lady Vols fresh again. Fresh and exciting.

VN Store

Back