Brianna Turner out with ACL injury

That's horrible. We have had the worst luck with injuries the past 4 years.

Notre Dame seems to get burned during the NCAAT. They lost Achonwa and Turner in back to back finals appearances, and now Turner again. And they've never been deep at the post.

The year Izzy went down was really costly for Tennessee, maybe even cost them a FF berth. They would have been a tougher matchup for Maryland with a healthy Izzy on the court.

Reactions: 1 person
Hopefully she will rehab and have a great season her senior year.

Before this injury, I was thinking that ND had the discipline to give UCONN a good game in a rematch.

Looks like it may be up to Baylor(if they can get by these next two games) or Maryland.

Hopefully she will rehab and have a great season her senior year.

Before this injury, I was thinking that ND had the discipline to give UCONN a good game in a rematch.

Looks like it may be up to Baylor(if they can get by these next two games) or Maryland.

I think Maryland and Baylor are the only teams left in the tournament that can legitimately challenge UConn. I know FSU gave them a scare at the start of the season, but UConn has gotten so much better since then. SC is too injury-ravaged and Texas is too inconsistent.

I've been really impressed by Baylor in the tournament...maybe moreso than by UConn. They are firing at all cylinders and getting great production from their bench. They have the tools to go all the way, as long as UConn's outside shooting cools down.

I think Maryland and Baylor are the only teams left in the tournament that can legitimately challenge UConn. I know FSU gave them a scare at the start of the season, but UConn has gotten so much better since then. SC is too injury-ravaged and Texas is too inconsistent.

I've been really impressed by Baylor in the tournament...maybe moreso than by UConn. They are firing at all cylinders and getting great production from their bench. They have the tools to go all the way, as long as UConn's outside shooting cools down.

I don't like Mulkey to make the adjustments to beat Geno. I hate Brenda Frese but I think she is the only one who can make the adjustments needed to counter what he is doing and they have gotten a lot better since they played him. Slocum is a baller and will be hard to handle now that Freese has let her lose. She is doing what Schimmel did at Louisville (playground basketball) but better and her teammates have adjusted accordingly.

Jones, Slocum, Walker-Kimbrough are at key positions that could give UConn fits!

Saying that though and UConn will still possibly beat them by 25, smdh

Reactions: 2 people
I don't like Mulkey to make the adjustments to beat Geno. I hate Brenda Frese but I think she is the only one who can make the adjustments needed to counter what he is doing and they have gotten a lot better since they played him. Slocum is a baller and will be hard to handle now that Freese has let her lose. She is doing what Schimmel did at Louisville (playground basketball) but better and her teammates have adjusted accordingly.

Jones, Slocum, Walker-Kimbrough are at key positions that could give UConn fits!

Saying that though and UConn will still possibly beat them by 25, smdh

I think Kim tried to force things inside against UConn the first time around, and it resulted in a lot of turnovers. The difference I see with Baylor now is that they are spreading the floor and not just predictably dumping the ball inside to Brown on every possession. Prince is shooting well, Wallace is making great decisions, and the Giantesses have all been productive. The level of play hardly drops off whether it's Brown, Mompremier, Cox or Cave in the game. Cox has looked really good in the two games so far this tournament.

I'm going to reverse my previous stance and say that another player that has to get going for Baylor to beat UConn is Nina Davis. She was a complete non factor the first time around, and she needs to continue to attack the basket and try to get UConn's thin frontline in foul trouble. She has handle, a quick first step and great post moves. She needs to play all out if they are to have a chance. She gives their post game a different dimension with her ability to attack.

Please don't overlook Washington. Leading scorer and rebounder on Washington makes them final four contenders.

Please don't overlook Washington. Leading scorer and rebounder on Washington makes them final four contenders.

Washington is the exact kind of team that UConn thrives in dismantling. They would force Plum into the worst shooting game of her career and win by 50 points. I also think that Baylor would throttle them. I'm picking MSU to put them out before they see either team.

As good as Osahor and Plum have been, they've played a weak schedule and have lost to questionable teams in the P-12. I'm not sold on them.

I sure hate reading this. There are a few programs (including Tennessee) that always seem to catch the injury bug, often right at tournament time, and Notre Dame ranks high among them. I remember how Stanford, which had been a favorite to reach the Final Four, once lost two All-American starters at the end. I think Connecticut has even lost some at the worst possible time. South Carolina appears to be joining the club, too.

But of course, none have hurt so much as those injuries and poorly-timed sickness to some of our top Lady Vols over the years that cost the program dearly.

Kinda puts a damper on the whole thing for me that we rarely get a NCAA Tournament that pits all the best players against all the other best players. Too often coaches have to go with Plan B and so we are left only to speculate for years afterward about all the "what ifs."

That stinks. :dry:

the turner injury was a carbon copy of vicki baugh's one a few years ago. I thought of vicki the moment it happened to turner.

Terrible news for Notre Dame

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-dame-fighting-irish-ncaa-tournament-torn-acl

Notre Dame has had such terrible luck with injuries during the NCAA tournament. Hoping Brianna has a speedy recovery and is ready for next season.

I'm sure research has been done on the seemingly high number of knee injuries woman have playing basketball. is it my imagination that it rivals football running backs in percentage or is it just because I follow woman's bb? can anything be done to reduce these injuries?:unsure:

I'm sure research has been done on the seemingly high number of knee injuries woman have playing basketball. is it my imagination that it rivals football running backs in percentage or is it just because I follow woman's bb? can anything be done to reduce these injuries?:unsure:

My understanding is that the frequency in WBB compared to men's is because of the differences in male/female body types. I'm not sure anything can be done to prevent it. Turner is in top physical condition and athletic as hell, and it happened on a routine play with no contact. Just a risk of the women's game, it seems.

Reactions: 2 people
Is it the hips of women that cause a different angle and stress on the knee?

That's what I've read before, but not sure it's conclusive. Given the frequency of knee injuries in the women's game compared to the men's, it wouldn't surprise me if that's why.

Other theories include the supposed negative effects of estrogen (and other hormones associated with menstruation) on ligament strength and how women run and jump. Their knees are more turned in and are less bent when jumping and landing is the theory.

VN Store

Back