Your Lexington Ky Predictions

Rickster

VFL
Mine are:

Notre Dame over Robert Morris
Purdue over Green Bay (could e closer than one thinks)
Ohio State over Western Ky
Kentucky over Belmont
NC State over Auburn
Texas over Central Arkansas
Drake over Kansas St. (offense Prevails)
Stanford over New Mexico St.

Mine are:

Kentucky over Belmont
NC State over Auburn

ESPN's Michelle Voepel has Kentucky winning this region. She must know something the rest of don't. Kentucky doesn't have the height in the post to contend with Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas and Stanford the teams that I'm familiar with I don't know about the other teams. But I digress.

This region is the 2nd best for me. I'll be watching Purdue v Green Bay, NCState v Auburn possibly. Its the games after the 2nd round that are going to be of great interest. Looking forward to those games.

I got Ohio State, Texas or Notre Dame coming out of this region. It's hard to decide one of those 3 teams right now. I just don't know. :crazy:

I agree. I don't think Kentucky will even come out of that sub regional. I'm picking Ohio State.

I agree. I don't think Kentucky will even come out of that sub regional. I'm picking Ohio State.

Ohio State appeared to have turned a corner after a pretty weak nonconference showing, but then sputtered in the Big 10 tournament. Honestly I could see Western Kentucky pulling off the big first round upset -- they played Louisville close in Louisville and DePaul close at home, and they're on a 10+ game win streak, all with a #35 RPI. Not doubting tOSU's talent but definitely doubting their defense and their chemistry.

Notre Dame looked really, really good in the ACC tournament. It'll be interesting to see which Texas team shows up -- did they peak too soon?

Mine are:

Kentucky over Belmont
NC State over Auburn

I think the Purdue pick makes sense, they're definitely playing their best basketball at the right time.

As previously noted, I'm not writing off the Ohio State win as a given. I'll probably pick WKU in my bracket as my big first round gamble.

I feel like Drake got screwed here. Dominate your conference, have the #26 RPI, then not only drop to a #10 seed, but have to play a true road game in the first round (unlike all other 10 seeds). I'm going to have to go with Kansas St. as the home team.

I don't think Kentucky beating ND or OSU is too out of the question. ND is actually a better matchup for them than Baylor or SC because they don't have a lot of height either. ND won't be able to physically punish Akhator as much with Turner compared to someone like Coates. They would pretty much have to ride the starting five for heavy minutes to win, and need to avoid foul trouble.

Despite their late season slip ups, I think Texas is the most dangerous team in this region and my pick to to to the FF. They have size, speed and shooters. If they play the way they did during their long winning streak, I can easily see them coming out on top.

I don't see a lot of other upsets. I think the top 4 seeds should make it to the S16 without much drama.

Belmont is a team I've followed casually this season, I'm curious to see if they can give Kentucky a game. If the Lady Vol coaching position did come open, Cameron Newbauer is a great young coach and someone I have no doubt would get consideration. If Florida is smart they will make a run at him....

It would not surprise me to see Green Bay, Western Ky., Auburn, and Kansas St. advance to the next round contrary to my predictions. I don't know if Ky has played in enough big games to be totally comfortable against the likes of ND or Stanford in the big games but then it is on their home floor which should give them an advantage (unless it puts too much pressure on them). Officiating will ultimately determine whether Ky. advances. The wildcats are a physical team and if they are not allowed to play physical, it will be hard for them to get past the quarterfinals.

I still don't know why KY got the 4 seed, and no one's even really talking about it. Their record is barely better than Tenn and they don't have the big wins that Tenn did. They lost to Louisville, Arizona St, Duke, Tenn, Tx A&M, Mizzou and SC 3X. The only big win I see is Miss St. I don't get their 4 seed.

Reactions: 1 person
I still don't know why KY got the 4 seed, and no one's even really talking about it. Their record is barely better than Tenn and they don't have the big wins that Tenn did. They lost to Louisville, Arizona St, Duke, Tenn, Tx A&M, Mizzou and SC 3X. The only big win I see is Miss St. I don't get their 4 seed.

Reasonably tough schedule and no bad losses. Tennessee has no one but themselves to blame for a #5. They were lucky to be ranked that high.

Ky has had their hands full today. Up by 3 with 37 seconds left in the game.

That was an excellent shooting display by Belmont. UK did a great job turning up their defensive intensity.

I have no idea what to make of Auburn. They are a better team than they showed for the last two months.

Belmont is a team I've followed casually this season, I'm curious to see if they can give Kentucky a game.

And the answer is yes. In fact on a neutral court Belmont likely wins. Newbauer is a better coach than anyone in the SEC right now, and it isn't close....

Better than Vic Schaeffer?

Schaeffer is good, but his teams seem to peak too early and sputter by the end. The manner in which UConn destroyed them last season was arguably the most embarrassing loss for any team in the tournament. This season he had a great opportunity for an SEC title as he had the best team in the conference for most of the year. His team couldn't close it out either in the regular season or the SEC tournament. For whatever reason the last few weeks they were no longer the elite team they were earlier in the season. They did pound the 15 seed as expected today and maybe they will put together a run in this tournament, but I can't see them making the Final Four.

The other factor is age. Schaeffer is almost as old as Warlick and likely at his ceiling as a coach. Newbauer is still a baby in coaching years and will continue to improve....

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back