Next Women's National Team Coach

Great lol I watching a uconn game last week and geno was already saying Chrystal Dangerfield was the future point guard of the national team.

I have never understood the idea that being the National Team coach gave you a recruiting edge for college players. To even be on the National Team you would have to have been great in college, made a WNBA roster, and still be relevant & producing 4 years later. There isn't a huge number of players that are going to fall into that bucket period.

Most players who make the National team played at the lower levels of USA basketball prior anyway so if there is an edge in recruiting for coaching at the national/international level it would be for the U16, U17, U18, U19 USA basketball teams. There you are directly interacting with kids that are still in the recruiting process.

Why, thank God? This is going to give SC a recruiting edge.

I think her recruiting edge began when she served as head coach to the U17 Team in 2014 and the U19 Team in 2015, winning gold medals at the U18 Americas Championship and the U19 FIBA World Championship. U17 players are still in the recruiting process. You get a few extra at bats getting a commitment when you are coaching them during the summer. A luxury every other coach going for that kid wouldn't have.

Reactions: 3 people
The whole pressure to replace him same after Candace Parker was dropped over Uconns..

The pressure to replace Geno came after the whole world was against him dropping Candace Parker eg, ESPN,Australian National Team coach, Thousands writing petition etc.

Reactions: 4 people
The pressure to replace Geno came after the whole world was against him dropping Candace Parker eg, ESPN,Australian National Team coach, Thousands writing petition etc.

That is not correct at all. His decision was made prior to the 2016 roster even being picked. He actually stated several times he would have been happy being done after the 2012 Olympics. His former players were the real catalyst for him to be on for the 2016 Olympics, in that his former greats expected 2016 to be their last Olympic year.

Working with USA basketball you have to sacrifice a lot and with all that travel the move to a younger coach is wise. I can't wait to see what they look like in 2020 with a lot of the all time greats getting older and likely retiring around that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
he'll now have free time to sell the rest of those Maya More handbags and clean out his basement.

Reactions: 6 people
That is not correct at all. His decision was made prior to the 2016 roster even being picked. He actually stated several times he would have been happy being done after the 2012 Olympics. His former players were the real catalyst for him to be on for the 2016 Olympics, in that his former greats expected 2016 to be their last Olympic year.

Working with USA basketball you have to sacrifice a lot and with all that travel the move to a younger coach is wise. I can't wait to see what they look like in 2020 with a lot of the all time greats getting older and likely retiring around that time.

Although what Genno did was an unnessary slap in the face of one of the all time best women basketball players to play the game, he had announced prior that this was his last go around. Chosing Stewie and not choosing Parker is the most outrageous thinks I have ever seen. :crazy:

This is odd. I was just reading here on volnation last night that Dawn Staley was the most overrated college coach ever.:loco:rock:

Reactions: 5 people
This is odd. I was just reading here on volnation last night that Dawn Staley was the most overrated college coach ever.:loco:rock:

Dawn should be our next coach. When have you known USCe to be consistently ranked in the top 5 or 10 in anything? They've won the SEC regular season the last 4 years & the tourney the last 3 years

Bullsheet post of the month. The only pressure on Auriemma was to win gold - which he did handily.

I'm sure Holly was runner-up....

Yeah, can you imagine her, after a loss to say, like, Puerto Rico, "Uh uh, I really don't remember, I guess we didn't want it as bad as they did, they played a great game, we just have to execute better and play harder..." All while scratching the back of he head!

Although what Genno did was an unnessary slap in the face of one of the all time best women basketball players to play the game, he had announced prior that this was his last go around. Chosing Stewie and not choosing Parker is the most outrageous thinks I have ever seen. :crazy:

Except that the choice wasn't really Parker vs. Stewart. USA basketball always includes one "young" player on the team and Stewart was that player. The choice was Parker vs. one of the more veteran players (take your pick).

yeah, can you imagine her, after a loss to say, like, puerto rico, "uh uh, i really don't remember, i guess we didn't want it as bad as they did, they played a great game, we just have to execute better and play harder..." all while scratching the back of he head!

😂😆😂

VN Store

Back