What if?

larjoranj

I CAN'T REMEMBER
Let us suppose that Holly is back next year, which is likely, even though many of you are stroking out at the thought. For those of you who would prefer Junior Samples or Frankenstein as coach over Holly, what kind of success next year would it take for you to think she deserved another year?

For those of you who think Holly is the most unfairly criticized human being of the last century, what would it take next year or the next couple years to push you into the "tar and feather Holly" group?

Let us suppose that Holly is back next year, which is likely, even though many of you are stroking out at the thought. For those of you who would prefer Junior Samples or Frankenstein as coach over Holly, what kind of success next year would it take for you to think she deserved another year?

For those of you who think Holly is the most unfairly criticized human being of the last century, what would it take next year or the next couple years to push you into the "tar and feather Holly" group?

Top 10 national ranking. #1 or #2 in SEC. Elite 8 minimum. Anything less than that in Year 6 should be cause for termination.

Reactions: 4 people
If Russell and Diamond come back. Minimum final four. Nothing less. You've now had 3 years with DD and all with Russell, you should know now how to coach this team, and coach them.

I get she isn't CPS. But HOW LONG did she sit by CPS, and we are seeing this today? I sometimes ask myself, what did you do while CPS was coaching? Did you not pay attention? You sat by the greatest coach IMO of basketball.

Weird but stay with me ... CPS made her own recipe for... let's say chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, and CHW assisted her everyday of making the same recipe for 30 years. Nothing changed, no new ingredient, the same thing every day, over 30 years. Sometimes Holly would go and get the ingredients, sometimes the ingredients CPS brought to the table, but no matter who brought in the ingredient, CPS always followed the same recipe on it daily. This recipe was world famous, and only a select few got to see CPS make it, and CHW was the only one in the whole world who made the recipe with her everyday. One day, CPS says, I'm leaving the kitchen, CHW can you cook today? Sure, of course says CHW. After the day was over, CHW brought to the dinner table chocolate cake that was very burnt, to the point is was uneatable, and the frosting was missing .... what happened? Most of the dinner guest were stunned. We've never seen anything like this before? You know what you are doing right? You sat with CPS everyday and watched her do it right? How can someone who cooked with CPS everyday for over 30 years with the same ingredient, with no changes, mess this up?

And the world never ate chocolate cake again. Just kidding. :) I'm eating it now.

Reactions: 1 person
We're all wanting chocolate cake... and the pantry is filled with rice cakes.

Pat and Holly were a great team because they fulfilled different roles and balanced each other. Pat was a tough disciplinarian who demanded every player's best and would accept no less. Holly was the mother hen. She listened, consoled, smoothed ruffled feathers and hugged away hurt feelings. Holly didn't have to be tough and demanding, because Pat took care of that. And now Pat is gone, and the winning formula is missing a key component. The hugs need the stare.

I'd like to see the LVs back in the Top 10, in the SECT finals and making the F4 next year. Without DD and MR, that's a big ask, and I'm sure UTAD will be content with much less.

...and, here we go..one more time...GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS...:pepper::pepper::pepper::bash::shades::post-4-1090547912::shaking2:

GLV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're all wanting chocolate cake... and the pantry is filled with rice cakes.

Pat and Holly were a great team because they fulfilled different roles and balanced each other. Pat was a tough disciplinarian who demanded every player's best and would accept no less. Holly was the mother hen. She listened, consoled, smoothed ruffled feathers and hugged away hurt feelings. Holly didn't have to be tough and demanding, because Pat took care of that. And now Pat is gone, and the winning formula is missing a key component. The hugs need the stare.

I'd like to see the LVs back in the Top 10, in the SECT finals and making the F4 next year. Without DD and MR, that's a big ask, and I'm sure UTAD will be content with much less.

The LVs have the no.1 recruiting class in the country, according to hoopgurlz, coming in for next year. Frankly, I don't want Holly to mess with them at all. Start fresh with the best coach you can find. There, I said it, who feels the same way?

Reactions: 5 people
The LVs have the no.1 recruiting class in the country, according to hoopgurlz, coming in for next year. Frankly, I don't want Holly to mess with them at all. Start fresh with the best coach you can find. There, I said it, who feels the same way?

You sidestepped the question. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 dollars. SUPPOSE she is back next year. What will it take next year for you to give her another year? Would 25-5 with a final four do it?

This is a dream or not:

The Lady Vols will win out and make it to the Final Four in dramatic fashion by beating UConn.

They will win it all by finally playing 6 straight games of some fun fast paced basketball delighting all of Lady Vol Nation and saving Holly's job for real.

It could happen. :thumbsup:

On expectations, I think it's easy.

Win the SEC. Get to the Final Four. Those were Pat's expectations for Tennessee. She said it every year. Win the SEC. Get to the Final Four. I see no reason for those to change.

The other question's harder. I want to see a team that plays hard -- plays harder than the other team. I want to see a team that wins the games they're supposed to win, and puts away pretenders in the first half. I want to see a team that takes losing personally. I would also like to see better ball movement on offense, but I'm not trying to get greedy with these. If that really falls apart; if we look like a team with all talent and no coaching, then it's time to consider what would be best.

Our program's greatest fear, and greatest unknown, is what happens if we cut the Pat Summitt coaching tree loose. There is palpable fear around that. We cut Fulmer loose at football and have yet to make our way back to prominence in that sport. That fear creeps into everything. It's human nature. It's also, I think, not a good way to look at things -- but it's very human. Even so, it will be one of the most important questions Tennessee has to answer one day. Can Tennessee be Tennessee without Pat or someone from Pat's legacy at the helm?

Was it really just Pat? Was it just about her? Or did she build something larger than life? If the people still come, if the brand, the attitude, the impact of the program can stand on its own, then the answer is yes. But it's still a hard question to face. And a harder one to answer.

Reactions: 2 people
Knowing who is coming back would help answer the question. I do know that we can't go on like the last two seasons it is not who the Lady vols have been or what this program should be. Even if you don't blame all the in court play on Holly you still have to look at recruiting the last couple seasons and say she has failed there. She went into this season with three good players and a weak bench which are all players she recruited.
Right now if the big three all come back she needs to make the final four anything short of that would be a failure because with those three back and the players sitting out this season plus the freshmen coming in we will have top five talent no doubt.
We should also win the SEC next season we will have the top talent in the league.
I think it should be an ultimatum year for Holly to put up or give up the job so the program can get a fresh start. I have no problem with her coming back next season she and her staff recruited the players coming in should have a season to show what she can do with them.

You sidestepped the question. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 dollars. SUPPOSE she is back next year. What will it take next year for you to give her another year? Would 25-5 with a final four do it?

Hypothetically, something like that might change my opinion. Going 25-5 to the final 4 would show that somehow CHW had finally learned how to motivate, lead, and coach. How is that for being in dreamland and pretending.

If we are sitting here in March 2018 in a similar position to now (double digit losses, early SECT exit, not in top 25), I think a change has to be made.

Reactions: 5 people
If this bunch coming in and what hopefully will still be here, Sec championship. Those folks way up east seem to be able to teach and coach newbies well enough to keep their ball rolling. Youngsters who pull their pants on a little differently just up the road, (they wear blue and are usually one and done) seem to be able to win the SEC most every year. So for me the ladies should be able to at least win the SEC next year.

The most likely scenario is that Holly returns for the 2017 season because she has a great recruiting class coming in. This recruiting class will buy her another year.

Next season, we will underperform again. Holly's excuse will be that the team mostly consists of freshmen and they need time to develop.

THe following season, which will be 2018, will be Holly's last season at U.T. As sophomores, they will play better but we will lose some games to teams that have a weaker roster than us.

At this point, Holly will be fired!!! She will at that time, run out of excuses.

So, she more than likely, she will have two more season's.

The new coach will come in with a top team full of great juniors and the new coach will do well with them.

Holly just can't coach. We are losing to teams who have bad rosters but every once in a while, we will beat a good team just to tease the fan base.

Reactions: 3 people
Too much can happen during a season so I hesitate to say that anything less than a final four will be a FAILURE. For the coaches and players, Improvement in all phases of the game should be expected although there will be times freshmen will play like freshmen. My biggest concern is that the bar will be too high for the freshmen and their confidence will be at risk. The current players must show improvement. If that improvement occurs and the freshmen play half as good as they are expected to play, the team will cut their losses in half (at least). I try to guard against unrealistic expectations because we are dealing with people but, barring multiple injuries, next years team has the potential to be very good. Of course, it all depends on players returning and improving over the summer and the coaching staff utilizing the talent in the best ways possible. Competition should be healthy for a team and with the caliber of players coming in, I expect players to push for playing time and the cream to rise to the top. The weaknesses this team demonstrated this year should be addressed with quick defensive players and people who can shoot from the wing. Most of all, the players will play a reasonable amount of minutes and be fresher throughout the game.

And to your point Rudy, the final two years of Holly's contract will have been "fulfilled", hence the time to part ways as a extension/renewal will not be likely. I believe that even if the team goes 5-25 next year with the rookies, Holly will get her final year.

I support our team.
I don't support Holly.

While you're at it, what is your favorite color? You didn't answer the question. 5 demerits and no dessert for 1 week. ASSUME she is coming back. What will it take NEXT year for you to support giving her another year?

The most likely scenario is that Holly returns for the 2017 season because she has a great recruiting class coming in. This recruiting class will buy her another year.

Next season, we will underperform again. Holly's excuse will be that the team mostly consists of freshmen and they need time to develop.

THe following season, which will be 2018, will be Holly's last season at U.T. As sophomores, they will play better but we will lose some games to teams that have a weaker roster than us.

At this point, Holly will be fired!!! She will at that time, run out of excuses.

So, she more than likely, she will have two more season's.

The new coach will come in with a top team full of great juniors and the new coach will do well with them.

Holly just can't coach. We are losing to teams who have bad rosters but every once in a while, we will beat a good team just to tease the fan base.

Go stand in the corner until recess, you didn't answer the question. We are supposing she will be back next year. WHAT WILL IT TAKE NEXT SEASON FOR YOU TO SUPPORT GIVING HER ANOTHER YEAR?

...and, here we go..one more time...GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS...:pepper::pepper::pepper::bash::shades::post-4-1090547912::shaking2:

GLV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here goes what one more time? What does the team need to do next year for you to support Holly getting another year? Or, if you already support Holly, how bad would the team have to tank next year for you to jump ship?

Even better question for if we fire her and hire a new coach. How many wins does the new coach need to not be on the hot seat after first year?

If this bunch coming in and what hopefully will still be here, Sec championship. Those folks way up east seem to be able to teach and coach newbies well enough to keep their ball rolling. Youngsters who pull their pants on a little differently just up the road, (they wear blue and are usually one and done) seem to be able to win the SEC most every year. So for me the ladies should be able to at least win the SEC next year.
If I were a recruit coming in next year and I got on here and read the crap that's posted about the team, coach and program, I'd be looking elsewhere for a school. These kids want to play for Holly, they committed to Holly, not UT. The school is icing on the cake. But they want stability in a coaching staff that generated a trust with them. That's not represented on VN.

If I were a recruit coming in next year and I got on here and read the crap that's posted about the team, coach and program, I'd be looking elsewhere for a school. These kids want to play for Holly, they committed to Holly, not UT. The school is icing on the cake. But they want stability in a coaching staff that generated a trust with them. That's not represented on VN.
Actually, as every LOI makes clear, they committed to Tennessee and not to Holly. And I think it is pretty clear that it is TN and the legacy of Pat that drives the recruiting bus for the program. That is what you hear from the recruits, not how they believe Holly will drive them to be the best player they can become.

Actually, as every LOI makes clear, they committed to Tennessee and not to Holly. And I think it is pretty clear that it is TN and the legacy of Pat that drives the recruiting bus for the program. That is what you hear from the recruits, not how they believe Holly will drive them to be the best player they can become.

You are exactly right! In fact, the new coach Holly hired must be a great recruiter to get all this talent. Last year Holly didn't sign anyone. That should tell you all you need to know about wanting to play for Holly.

+1 They are signing on for the tradition. the legacy of CPS. They are hoping it will be restored

VN Store

Back