Here's the BB Coach To Hire....

armchair

If I had to pick/hire a coach to lead our women's program, it would be Courtney Banghart of Princeton.

She is smart, dynamic, competitive, was a player herself--and her Princeton team has dominated the Ivy League for several years. Two years ago they were 30-0 and ranked 13th in the country before being beaten in the NCAA tourney--no easy feat for an Ivy team. She was the national Coach of the Year that year. She was an all-Ivy League player herself--at Dartmouth. She is youngish--late 30s--and so still very much in the prime of her career as opposed to veteran coaches who are past their coaching prime. THAT is a serious consideration.

She is the total package, in my mind, and reminds me of a youngish VanDerveer of Stanford. We need an infusion of intelligence in this program--we do not play smart basketball most of the time and haven't for years. She has the qualities needed to take us back to the top, assuming our recruiting with her would be strong--and why wouldn't it be? I would run, not walk, to Princeton in an effort to hire Banghart. There is a noticeable culture gap between Princeton/Princeton, N.J. and UT/Knoxville, which might be a consideration, but otherwise what's not to like? A big program is going to hire Banghart soon--IF she is interested in moving up and coaching a big program. She may not be; may be happy where she is, who knows. But, IMO, Banghart would be an outstanding choice. She also has a subtle connection to Summitt, but you'll have to Google to find it.

- GoPrincetonTigers.com | Princeton Athletics

Reactions: 3 people
Banghart? Ain't even met her yet? :)

lol-yuck.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Not bad at all. After the first 2 years she had a very impressive 7 year stretch of 171-36. In 2015 she was named National Coach of The Year by the Basketball Writers Association. Fortune magazine named her one of the world's 50 best leaders in 2015. She has a master's degree in leadership development. She has taken them to the NCAA 6 times in the last 8 years when they had never been before she arrived. She was one of the 3 finalists for the Vandy job before Stephanie
White was hired. During a google search her name came up on multiple team message boards - she is a popular choice, it seems, for fans of teams looking for a new coach. If she is interested in moving to a higher profile job she won't be on the market much longer. She also has a very nice story about the time she met Pat Summitt. Here is the link

Princeton coach tells heartwarming story about the time she first met Pat Summitt | For The Win

Well done Armchair :thumbsup:

Not bad at all. After the first 2 years she had a very impressive 7 year stretch of 171-36. In 2015 she was named National Coach of The Year by the Basketball Writers Association. Fortune magazine named her one of the world's 50 best leaders in 2015. She has a master's degree in leadership development. She has taken them to the NCAA 6 times in the last 8 years when they had never been before she arrived. She was one of the 3 finalists for the Vandy job before Stephanie
White was hired. During a google search her name came up on multiple team message boards - she is a popular choice, it seems, for fans of teams looking for a new coach. If she is interested in moving to a higher profile job she won't be on the market much longer. She also has a very nice story about the time she met Pat Summitt. Here is the link

Princeton coach tells heartwarming story about the time she first met Pat Summitt | For The Win

Well done Armchair :thumbsup:

Wow. That story unexpectedly brought me to tears. Also brought to mind my own memories of encountering Coach Summitt (then Pat Head). Took UT tennis class from her in Spring of 1975. She had no reputation yet. Had only been Lady Vols coach for 1 or 2 years and barely out of college herself. She didn't seem at all intimidating, unlike her later reputation. She even gave me a "good shot" comment for hitting a difficult net volley. Like it was yesterday...

The Ivy League isn't the best. Are there other coaches from higher caliber conferences/teams?

The Ivy League isn't the best. Are there other coaches from higher caliber conferences/teams?

you are coaching in. It's about the job you do with your team and the players on your team. Most major-college coaches start at smaller programs and then move up. That's how it works. This is about smarts and leadership, and that has nothing to do with the conference you are in. Players are players. Mike K of Duke coached at Army before getting the Duke job--not exactly a powerhouse. Muffett McGraw coached a high-school team to start her career, then went to Lehigh before being hired by Notre Dame. Jim Calhoun--three national titles with UConn men--started his coaching career in high school and then coached at Northeastern, which was a commuter school when he was there. If you can coach, the results will be apparent. Banghart can quite obviously coach.

Reactions: 5 people
If I had to pick/hire a coach to lead our women's program, it would be Courtney Banghart of Princeton.

She is smart, dynamic, competitive, was a player herself--and her Princeton team has dominated the Ivy League for several years. Two years ago they were 30-0 and ranked 13th in the country before being beaten in the NCAA tourney--no easy feat for an Ivy team. She was the national Coach of the Year that year. She was an all-Ivy League player herself--at Dartmouth. She is youngish--late 30s--and so still very much in the prime of her career as opposed to veteran coaches who are past their coaching prime. THAT is a serious consideration.

She is the total package, in my mind, and reminds me of a youngish VanDerveer of Stanford. We need an infusion of intelligence in this program--we do not play smart basketball most of the time and haven't for years. She has the qualities needed to take us back to the top, assuming our recruiting with her would be strong--and why wouldn't it be? I would run, not walk, to Princeton in an effort to hire Banghart. There is a noticeable culture gap between Princeton/Princeton, N.J. and UT/Knoxville, which might be a consideration, but otherwise what's not to like? A big program is going to hire Banghart soon--IF she is interested in moving up and coaching a big program. She may not be; may be happy where she is, who knows. But, IMO, Banghart would be an outstanding choice. She also has a subtle connection to Summitt, but you'll have to Google to find it.

- GoPrincetonTigers.com | Princeton Athletics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyx4x7-Aw4 I like the way these girls play and are coached.

You have to be able to Recruit. How has she been doing and I don't wanna hear its princeton

...and with a good, dynamic coach and recruiting coordinator, she's sure to be successful. I doubt she'd have any years of signing, essentially, nobody. We signed two players one year, and then the next year (last year) got a middling transfer and one late signee who will never play. Complete disaster--unheard of. And the year before that was not good either--two signees. So if you're suggesting that it will be risky to lose Warlick's recruiting, uh, no. Banghart is recruiting well enough to dominate her conference. What else would you want? And, yea, it /is/ the Ivy League: nobody in that league is going to recruit enough players of a caliber to compete with major colleges--and yet she had Princeton ranked 13 two years ago. Major accomplishment. Overachieving versus underachieving--that's what separate good coaches from weak ones.

Reactions: 4 people
...and with a good, dynamic coach and recruiting coordinator, she's sure to be successful. I doubt she'd have any years of signing, essentially, nobody. We signed two players one year, and then the next year (last year) got a middling transfer and one late signee who will never play. Complete disaster--unheard of. And the year before that was not good either--two signees. So if you're suggesting that it will be risky to lose Warlick's recruiting, uh, no. Banghart is recruiting well enough to dominate her conference. What else would you want? And, yea, it /is/ the Ivy League: nobody in that league is going to recruit enough players of a caliber to compete with major colleges--and yet she had Princeton ranked 13 two years ago. Major accomplishment. Overachieving versus underachieving--that's what separate good coaches from weak ones.

Ivy league schools do not give atheletic scholarships so ...no! She doesn't have ANY recruiting experience. Yes she played basketball, Holly was a three time All American and sn Olympic player too. Yes her team was ranked 13th. Holly has taken her teams to 3 elite 8s and 1 sweet 16. Holly is sn excellent recruiter and has out coached Stanford, Notre Dame, Miss St and SC this year alone. She doesn't shout lay ups or make stupid passes or dribble off her foot regularly.

Good one armchair....I'd also like to throw the name Becky Hammon out there Pop loves her...always has a chip on her shoulder....coached the Spurs summer league team to a title...has fire and passion for the game would bring the lady vol program into the new age of basketball instead of the 70s

Ivy league schools do not give atheletic scholarships so ...no! She doesn't have ANY recruiting experience. Yes she played basketball, Holly was a three time All American and sn Olympic player too. Yes her team was ranked 13th. Holly has taken her teams to 3 elite 8s and 1 sweet 16. Holly is sn excellent recruiter and has out coached Stanford, Notre Dame, Miss St and SC this year alone. She doesn't shout lay ups or make stupid passes or dribble off her foot regularly.

Just curious. When we win Holly outcoached the other coach? What about when we lose? Did she get outcoached? Or would you say she should get credit for wins and the players should get blame for the losses?

Good one armchair....I'd also like to throw the name Becky Hammon out there Pop loves her...always has a chip on her shoulder....coached the Spurs summer league team to a title...has fire and passion for the game would bring the lady vol program into the new age of basketball instead of the 70s

This

Just curious. When we win Holly outcoached the other coach? What about when we lose? Did she get outcoached? Or would you say she should get credit for wins and the players should get blame for the losses?

For some (perhaps many) in the "Fire Holly," that is exactly how they see it; she deserved all the blame for losses and NONE of the credit for wins.

Others, and I believe armchair falls in this camp, are less focused on assessing responsibility for good games versus bad games and instead are looking more at overall trajectories and the questions of preparation. Why does this team so often come out flat against lower ranked opponents; why do they get disrupted when teams that are known to apply pressure, pressure them? why is this team more often than not, such a poor shooting team and other like issues.

These are all fair questions and I can see how and why they lead fans to argue that an immediate coaching change is needed.

Personally, I see the rift between the pro and con Holly camps as totally futile and needlessly divisive.

On the latter point, all LV fans want the team to peform at a higher level and with much greater consistency so that they can compete for conference titles, Final Fours and if Uconn flubs up, an NC. The debate is simply is about whether that outcome is possible with the current staff.

And on the coaching change, Holly's record, coupled with an incoming recruiting class, and some big top 10 wins (despite some equally bad losses) are enough to keep any AD from making a change. If the UTAD fired Holly, the negative national press would be massive; I know this board tends to think very locally but major Universities do care about their national reputations.

I think the more likely scenario is that Holly has two years to prove that she can return the LVs to preeminence. Assuming that DD and MR go to the WNBA, next season will be seen as a bit of rebuilding year where a lot of new and younger players have to be worked iti the rotation. Accordingly, I think expectations for the upcoming season will be more moderate. (If DD and/or MR returned in some ways that would put a lot more pressure on Holly to deliver an SEC title and a Final four). But, if the team does not break through in the following season, then AD might well feel fully justified in making a coaching change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Oh boy, here we go.

She doesn't, you are right....but she coach's the ones that do.

VN Store

Back