Vanderbilt Goes Down in Flames 2017

T.J.

Somewhere in South Carolina, assistant Gamecock coach Melanie Balcomb is having flashbacks from last season when she was told she wasn't needed as the Commodore head coach anymore.

Fast forward to today. A new coaching staff w/Stephanie White as head coach just had one of the worst seasons ever for a Vanderbilt Commodore team in recent memory. Losing in the SEC 2017 Tourney to Alabama 77- 57. You'll have to go back before the Jim Foster days to find a worse season. Looks as though buyers remorse with coach White. Coulda, shoulda, woulda kept Balcomb.

2016-2017 Coach Stephanie White
4-12 SEC / 13th Place in conference
14-16 Season overall

2015-2016 Coach Balcomb's last season
5-11 SEC
18-14 Season overall

Balcomb coached Vandy from 2002 to 2016 and she had just one losing season. Her teams lowest ranking was her final two season at nr. 11/SEC before that her teams were ranked 8th or higher. So what gave?

Coach Melanie Balcomb please have a little peace of mind. It wasn't you.

Probably a bit soon to trash the newly hired coach. Without doing any digging she probably doesn't have more than 1 or 2 of her own recruits on the roster and she's likely implementing a new system. Might be better to give her more than 6 months.

Reactions: 5 people
Spoke to a person today that works the Vandy games. It has been said that Carolyn Peck was hired short term just to get things calmed back down and smooth the turmoil. There was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. Melanie hasn't seemed to have helped SC that much. Their offense is still not what it should be.

Probably a bit soon to trash the newly hired coach. Without doing any digging she probably doesn't have more than 1 or 2 of her own recruits on the roster and she's likely implementing a new system. Might be better to give her more than 6 months.

This wasn't about Stephanie.

My thoughts and concern were to coach Melanie Balcomb.

Reactions: 1 person
This wasn't about Stephanie.

My thoughts and concern were to coach Melanie Balcomb.

Well, you said, in part:

"A new coaching staff w/Stephanie White as head coach just had one of the worst seasons ever...You'll have to go back before the Jim Foster days to find a worse season...Looks as though buyers remorse with coach White...Melanie Balcomb...It wasn't you."

So if it wasn't White and it wasn't Balcomb, who was it?

Well, you said, in part:

"A new coaching staff w/Stephanie White as head coach just had one of the worst seasons ever...You'll have to go back before the Jim Foster days to find a worse season...Looks as though buyers remorse with coach White...Melanie Balcomb...It wasn't you."

So if it wasn't White and it wasn't Balcomb, who was it?

My intent were to Vanderbilt and Coach Melanie Balcolmb. Stephanie just happens to be the new coach with a losing record. That's all and I like Stephanie as the Indiana Fever head coach and as a player when she was at Purdue. The thread is not a diss on Stephanie White. Far from it.

I think it's an interesting story on coach Balcomb. Hoping to bring out folks that knew more about it.

But If there's more about Stephanie you'd like to add be my guest.

Spoke to a person today that works the Vandy games. It has been said that Carolyn Peck was hired short term just to get things calmed back down and smooth the turmoil. There was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. Melanie hasn't seemed to have helped SC that much. Their offense is still not what it should be.

Thanks for sharing.

Coach Dawn Staley appears to be very demanding & intimidating. She grimaces way too much. Do you see that Balcomb typically sits a row behind the bench at games. What's up with that?

I'm thinking along the same lines. South Carolina's offense is no better than last season's without Balcomb.

Melanie reminds me of Rosie O'Donnell.

...But If there's more about Stephanie you'd like to add be my guest.

Not me. I know next to nothing about her. I was curious why you mentioned her in your post and then said the post wasn't about her, that's all. Skirmish over. :)

Not me. I know next to nothing about her. I was curious why you mentioned her in your post and then said the post wasn't about her, that's all. Skirmish over. :)

You were being very skirmy with your skirmishiness, LVJeff. :eek:k:

...Do you see that Balcomb typically sits a row behind the bench at games. What's up with that?...

There was a post about that from Deerpark when she was hired before the season. It had something to do with her not being a coach but instead being director of offensive analytics or some such thing.

There was a post about that from Deerpark when she was hired before the season. It had something to do with her not being a coach but instead being director of offensive analytics or some such thing.

Makes sense now.

Thanks for sharing. :)

If you look at Stanley she cuss out her assistant she tells her to shut the f up on the side lines and all

If you look at Stanley she cuss out her assistant she tells her to shut the f up on the side lines and all

Whooooaaaa....seriously? She would barely get that out of her mouth to me and I would put a clipboard upside her head! Wow!

White will be a good coach like top 6 or 7 in recent years but I don't think she is going to be a Kim mulkey but she will get them to tournament Vanderbilt just does not have the feel of just rolling in recruits

True, but early returns are unimpressive. For now she has to play the hand she was dealt, but after a great win over Duke early in the season the players on that roster showed absolutely no improvement...

Vandy is young. Unfortunately they wil get better. If Peck stays with White they will be better in time. Melanie wouldn't have won half the games they won this year.

They have talent 20 ranked recruits class they will be better but remember Carolyn peck didn't have an outstanding coaching record and white last season in WNBA was not so hot as well but I think there good coaches and will make them. Better

watch out for Karma here -- trashing Vandy when UT has a poor game coach and is unranked, isnt wise just yet

watch out for Karma here -- trashing Vandy when UT has a poor game coach and is unranked, isnt wise just yet

True, especially when you consider the talent difference between the two teams. Vandy will be better next year

Steve Spurrier said something about his tenure at UF that may be pertinent to Balcomb leaving. He said even the most popular coach loses about 10% of the fan base each year - they may all love him the first year, but only 90% really love him the 2d year, then only 80% the 3rd, etc. So by the 10th year, you've worn out your welcome with too many fans, even if you're Steve Spurrier with a lot of Natties. Balcomb, on the other hand, was having bad, bad seasons deep into her tenure, on top of having lost fans naturally over time, if you follow Spurrier's reasoning. When you've been around a long time, you have to produce or you're out. White has the luxury of time right now, as most Vandy fans are still pulling for her.

That is just Dawn. Maybe it's all that Philly in her or maybe it's just her competitive drive. I hope she does take some suggestions but as far as I can see it seems as though she isn't trusting the process of installing a new offense. She made that claim back in 2013 and it looks almost exactly the same as back then.

VN Store

Back