Tennessee voted NCAA WBK team of the week

"Just when it appeared that the wheels were close to coming off of the Tennessee season, the Lady Vols have regrouped with three straight wins, including wins over Florida and No. 2 Mississippi State last week in earning NCAA.com Team of the Week honors."

That's a nice honor to close out the regular season! Thanks for posting. I'm nervous yet excited to see which Tennessee Lady Vol team will show up.

1. The Fire Holly team?
or
2. The Top 10 Team beaters?

Reactions: 1 person
If the coaching staff that doesn't insist that the ball be thrown to Mercedes Russell, even when she is double or triple teamed, shows up, like they did against MS State, then I would say you'll see the Top 10 Team beaters.

They need to take advantage of the abilities of this team and not insist on any set formula. If they do, this team can go as far as their legs will take them.

Jim

If the coaching staff that doesn't insist that the ball be thrown to Mercedes Russell, even when she is double or triple teamed, shows up, like they did against MS State, then I would say you'll see the Top 10 Team beaters.

They need to take advantage of the abilities of this team and not insist on any set formula. If they do, this team can go as far as their legs will take them.

Jim

Exactly! The ball should go inside when the opportunity arises. TN has far too many athletic players that can slash thru the defense by getting to the rim. Make your opponent beat you. Thanks to Diamond and Jaime they are doing just that. Scoring or getting to the free throw line.

If Mercedes wants to get involved then she needs to ratchet up her defense to create offense. Or better yet play strong in the post to score and stop hanging out on the perimeter. :crazy:

Every team in the America knows that Holly wants to get Mercedes the ball.

Last edited:
All of this "get the ball inside" business in my opinion misses the mark of what Holly wants.

I have heard Holly say more than once that she wants the team to "look" inside and if the opportunity is not there to take the first open shot.

The problem as I see it is in the failure to properly execute this plan. For reasons I don't fully understand this plan is quite often not followed, such as when the ball is thrown to Mercedes when there are three players around her. That is directly contradicted by what I have heard Holly say.

Reactions: 2 people
I wonder if you ever heard Holly say 'Mercedes get in the paint stop hanging around the perimeter?'

I wonder if you ever heard Holly say 'Mercedes get in the paint stop hanging around the perimeter?'

Free Harris!!! Would be nice if UT got a big lead to give MR a rest and let Harris a few minutes

VN Store

Back