will Currie be good for the Lady Vols ?

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
I got to looking into the Leticia Romero problem at Kansas State,I was cruising the football forum and looked into it and i ran across this article about her,I'm sure there many are others

Women's college basketball - Kansas State Wildcats' decisions to blame for messy situation

it seems they wouldn't let her go anywhere,after the coach was let go and then they refused to let her go to anybody for awhile,I do understand your conference or somebody you may play (not really into that one)

it does make one wonder about that,it looks like a total disregard for a player and i do wonder if he will bring that attitude to the Lady Vols program ? I'm hoping not,but it will be something to watch for

UTK had a perfect opportunity to bring in someone to right the ship, and also get "one" of our own...we screwed the pooch on this one...pretty boy, slick interviewing, overcame, once again, common sense...:):)

GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 3 people
I got to looking into the Leticia Romero problem at Kansas State,I was cruising the football forum and looked into it and i ran across this article about her,I'm sure there many are others

Women's college basketball - Kansas State Wildcats' decisions to blame for messy situation

it seems they wouldn't let her go anywhere,after the coach was let go and then they refused to let her go to anybody for awhile,I do understand your conference or somebody you may play (not really into that one)

it does make one wonder about that,it looks like a total disregard for a player and i do wonder if he will bring that attitude to the Lady Vols program ? I'm hoping not,but it will be something to watch for

Followed it some at the time. She was from Spain, they fired the staff that recruited her, she simply wanted to go elsewhere...you can figure a Spanish kid in Kansas when her coaches are gone!, offered to accept restrictions on transfer...i.e. Not a conference team, not an upcoming opponent, etc., an ugly part is the school allowed some men to transfer while denying her. She was one of the best, if not the best, players on the team, but still. There were reasons she could not transfer and sit out a year or work a year due to her being an international player. Got convoluted. Got national interest, interesting part was many of the KState fans were outraged and posted/commented etc. about their displeasure with KState. There were the few, always are, who thought it was OK...hard to defend though with KState's actions towards the men. Anyway, it was a mess for KState and a lot of their fans were embarrassed. Interesting is many posted etc. to the effect, "..don't care a out women's basketball, but this is not right...", things to that effect.

Maybe Currie was being over ridden by Admin and it was not his call. Doubt that is general knowledge. Good news is the girl finally was released and is playing in FL.

UTK had a perfect opportunity to bring in someone to right the ship, and also get "one" of our own...we screwed the pooch on this one...pretty boy, slick interviewing, overcame, once again, common sense...:):)

GO LADY VOLS!

He's a Tenn alum with 12 years at Tenn as an assoc/asst AD in many different areas of the Athletic Dept. I think that probably trumped any slick interviewing.

Anyone remember him from his previous time at Tenn? Did he have any notable involvement with the women's teams?

Reactions: 1 person
He's a Tenn alum with 12 years at Tenn as an assoc/asst AD in many different areas of the Athletic Dept. I think that probably trumped any slick interviewing.

Anyone remember him from his previous time at Tenn? Did he have any notable involvement with the women's teams?

That was back when they had a Women's AD...so prolly not.

Reactions: 5 people
All the anti-Holly people better get on board and pray for her to get it together in the next few years. This guy is detested in coaching circles. If he gets rid of her you are gonna get a crap replacement.

Currie fired Deb Patterson in 2014. She'd been coach at KSU for 18 years, but Currie said at the time of the firing that he was unhappy with her team's recent record and the trajectory of the program and wanted to return the program to national prominence. He then lured Jeff Mittie away from TCU and Mittie has turned the program around somewhat, going 59 – 36 in his three years.

Currie's handling of the Leticia Romero transfer situation brought him national attention – little of it positive.

Currie is obviously not adverse to firing a long term coach based on mediocre performance, or to replacing a woman coach with a man.

All the anti-Holly people better get on board and pray for her to get it together in the next few years. This guy is detested in coaching circles. If he gets rid of her you are gonna get a crap replacement.

If he is detested in UT coaching circles he will not be AD for very long.

Currie fired Deb Patterson in 2014. She'd been coach at KSU for 18 years, but Currie said at the time of the firing that he was unhappy with her team's recent record and the trajectory of the program and wanted to return the program to national prominence. He then lured Jeff Mittie away from TCU and Mittie has turned the program around somewhat, going 59 – 36 in his three years.

Currie's handling of the Leticia Romero transfer situation brought him national attention – little of it positive.

Currie is obviously not adverse to firing a long term coach based on mediocre performance, or to replacing a woman coach with a man.

He fired a coach and replaced with a coach that has compiled a record of 59-36?

Doesn't look like he made a very good hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
He fired a coach and replaced by a coach that has compiled a record of 59-36?

Doesn't look like he made a very good hire.

Patterson made one Sweet 16 and never advanced past the second round in any other season. Had 14 and 11 win seasons in her last five. Sounds like after witnessing Pat that he had higher standards and made a change. Part of the risk in trying to make an upgrade. Jeff Mittie won 303 games at TCU likewise hadn't advanced past the second round...but advanced the Wildcats to that round last season and has 21 wins this season. Don't see the dropoff.

Last edited:
Why do you guys think he is going to fire holly let's be honest lady vols are his second big income and the coach he fired didn't have any were near holly warlick overall record and even tho the regular season last year was not up to our standards she still made it to the elite eight so I believe he will not fire her anytime soon she would have to have a Rutgers record lol

I didn't say that was a good thing. I'd have fired her already early this season, but I think she has done as well as she can with the limited roster and the injury to cooper and carter.

We can only hope that Currie /suggests/ to Warlick that she consider retirement. And if that doesn't convey the message, roll out the French razor. We need a top tier coach---badly.

I believe that Holly is safe for the next two years. She has the number one class coming in. I think Currie will give her at least that amount of time to "mold" these recruits. I think that if Holly loses Diamond and Russell, he will consider that as a major lose that would have at least some negative effect on the program.

Holly is not on the same hot seat, as the prior coach at K-State. She had some okay years, however, it is tough to recruit top 100 players at a school like K-State. It is tough to recruit top 100 players even in the men's program. Their football team depends a lot upon JUCO players and transfers. Holly does not have that problem at Tennessee, however, as long as she makes it to the elite 8 she has a chance to keep her job. If she starts to crash and burn with top recruits, or she starts having recruitment issues, and attendance starts to go down significantly, then she would, and should, be on the hot seat. These post hoping that no matter what, Holly should be in place until she wants to quite is crazy. If she can't get it together, or crashes and burns, she should be fired.

Why do you guys think he is going to fire holly let's be honest lady vols are his second big income and the coach he fired didn't have any were near holly warlick overall record and even tho the regular season last year was not up to our standards she still made it to the elite eight so I believe he will not fire her anytime soon she would have to have a Rutgers record lol

Basketball is a "what have you done for me lately" sport. Lately, the "team" has played a better game overall. More passion, more communication on court and more continuity in offense. . . As is the team, as is the coaching.

More communication,,, more passion from all staff and assistants, more taking of input by CHW...

Just maybe, the staff has kept up with the growth of the team...Today is a good opportunity to see if that is so.

Warlick should have been sacked three years ago. UConn--once our rival--has won, what 101 straight games and three straight national titles--while we have old tennessee fans, diehards, who pretend we're doing OK with Warlick because she's taken us to the elite eight. I'm embarrassed for those fans who seem to think it's ok to be mediocre. Nobody has a more talented starting five than we do, not even South Carolina, and we're seeded 5th in the SEC tourney. Fear of change--you see it with this crowd that would rather underachieve, apparently, than get a dynamic, smart, real coach.

Warlick should have been sacked three years ago. UConn--once our rival--has won, what 101 straight games and three straight national titles--while we have old tennessee fans, diehards, who pretend we're doing OK with Warlick because she's taken us to the elite eight. I'm embarrassed for those fans who seem to think it's ok to be mediocre. Nobody has a more talented starting five than we do, not even South Carolina, and we're seeded 5th in the SEC tourney. Fear of change--you see it with this crowd that would rather underachieve, apparently, than get a dynamic, smart, real coach.

Vandy went that route, even hired Peck to help out, but so far they look a lot worse than last year with Balcomb. You make certain good points about mediocrity and such, but IMO holly has done enough, by beating several top teams this year, to keep her job at least two more years. Remember, the grass isnt always greener, as seen with the fulmer firing.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back