Jordan Brand and Future Lady Vols.

I swear I'm so excited about the influx of talent that's about to be on campus for us later this year, that I keep rereading the same articles over and over! 😂😂😂

Reactions: 1 person
I really worry about any future lady vol playing during off seasons, injuries haunt our history.

We have as much or more talent on this team as we do coming in next year. The diehards conveniently overlook that.

Reactions: 2 people
We have as much or more talent on this team as we do coming in next year. The diehards conveniently overlook that.

I get your point but one thing we don't have on this team is depth. Even if MR and DD leave (and I don't think both will), there'll still be a minimum net gain of 2 players when you factor in Cooper and Green.

Look for both DD and MR to come back:boobies::boobies:

I sure hope you are right, it would be great, I can't wate till next year. I have not given up on this bunch of lady Vol's. Still can win the SEC and host the first two games.

While we have talent on this team depth is an issue...while we have 9 bodies we can play Qui herself admitted that playing back into shape and the injury took a toll on her in her interview. Alexa has seemingly found a niche and meme is still a bit raw but these minutes wil only benefit them next year. IF DD and MR come back that solidifies two spots with JN filling the other. What really helps is not the freshman but getting Te'a back a guard that can defensively match up with smaller quicker guards but strong enough to hold her own because she is 5'8/5'9. Hopefully she and Green will be able to add not only talent but depth too to the team. Where we can play AM,DD, a freshman, JN, MR with Cooper, Meme, green one of the 3 remaining freshmen, KD, Harris as options for backup or depth. While the freshman will be young and inexperienced look at the depth and talent compared what it is this year. So yes while there is depth and talent this year (which isn't over) if the two come back next year it is an even greater bench and that also gives the freshman more time to learn from others while still getting the chance to play some if they earn the time. So while I know we have to coach that young talent up we could also afford them to be brought along slower or as quickly as needed with more depth. We lose Jordan and qui this year to graduation but gain cooper back and green (who was a juco all American avg 20 pts and 15 reb before her injury even if that translates to 8 pts and 7 reb average that would add considerable depth and valuable min).

Reactions: 3 people
While we have talent on this team depth is an issue...while we have 9 bodies we can play Qui herself admitted that playing back into shape and the injury took a toll on her in her interview. Alexa has seemingly found a niche and meme is still a bit raw but these minutes wil only benefit them next year. IF DD and MR come back that solidifies two spots with JN filling the other. What really helps is not the freshman but getting Te'a back a guard that can defensively match up with smaller quicker guards but strong enough to hold her own because she is 5'8/5'9. Hopefully she and Green will be able to add not only talent but depth too to the team. Where we can play AM,DD, a freshman, JN, MR with Cooper, Meme, green one of the 3 remaining freshmen, KD, Harris as options for backup or depth. While the freshman will be young and inexperienced look at the depth and talent compared what it is this year. So yes while there is depth and talent this year (which isn't over) if the two come back next year it is an even greater bench and that also gives the freshman more time to learn from others while still getting the chance to play some if they earn the time. So while I know we have to coach that young talent up we could also afford them to be brought along slower or as quickly as needed with more depth. We lose Jordan and qui this year to graduation but gain cooper back and green (who was a juco all American avg 20 pts and 15 reb before her injury even if that translates to 8 pts and 7 reb average that would add considerable depth and valuable min).

Or will we continue to do less with more? Just don't have much confidence in our staff. Hope I am wrong, but the way the staff acts right now, I don't know if things can change for it.

After Diamond, Jaime, and Mercedes who do we have this year? Reynolds was number 42 and Middleton was number 28 and neither have really lived up to those rankings. After those five you have Jackson who was a four star and hasn't even played to that level.

Adding players ranked 2, 9, 12, and getting back Cooper and the top JUCO player is certainly far more talent than we have this season. If Diamond and Russell come back no reason not to win the SEC title depth and poor play by everyone except the big three is the reason we are where we are today.

I love to see the influx of talent but hey don't forget they still need someone to coach them. We're talking about a team right now that's underachieving with the likes of Diamond DeShields (#2 player in her class) , Mercedes Russell (#1 player in her class), Jamie Nared (#6 player in her class). I see other coaches do more with far less.

After Diamond, Jaime, and Mercedes who do we have this year? Reynolds was number 42 and Middleton was number 28 and neither have really lived up to those rankings. After those five you have Jackson who was a four star and hasn't even played to that level.

Adding players ranked 2, 9, 12, and getting back Cooper and the top JUCO player is certainly far more talent than we have this season. If Diamond and Russell come back no reason not to win the SEC title depth and poor play by everyone except the big three is the reason we are where we are today.

Eventually you have to ask yourself are these ladies under performing or are they not being coached up to their full potential by this current staff? I think it's the latter...

We won't know that until they get here and play. High school rankings and college talent don't always equate. This incoming group may live up to their high school rankings or they may not, as many on the current roster have not. Only time will tell.

Or will we continue to do less with more? Just don't have much confidence in our staff. Hope I am wrong, but the way the staff acts right now, I don't know if things can change for it.

I have no clue... but I know depth wouldn't be an issue next year. So there can't be any excuses. I will say i am pleasantly surprised with the progress of Jamie nared, Mercedes, and even Diamond have progressed.

Team next year as it stands right now

PG-Westbrooks, Hayes, Cooper one of these will start I suspect one will play some two guard and it probably want be Westbrooks.
2G-Deshields, Middleton, Jackson
WF-Nared, Davis, Dunbar
PF-Green, KK
C-Russell, Harris

13 players and we'll probably play about 9 to 10 a lot the other three want see much action. This team looks far better than what we had this year mainly because all the bench players are huge talents and can score points when called upon something we didn't have this season.

Talent, yes. Ball handlers, no. We've a dearth of ball handling, which ironically is probably one of the most valuable things on the court.

Anxious to see how the team will be in the fall.
Hoping DD & MR will stay, but I think a lot of it will have to do with how we do in the tourney.
I'd love for both of them to stay, that would give us a good shot at a FF or NC.

Btw I'm happy to be back, just got my account approved :)

Talent, yes. Ball handlers, no. We've a dearth of ball handling, which ironically is probably one of the most valuable things on the court.

What talent are you positive the current players have as much of or more than the incoming class? Have you seen enough of the incoming class to really make a judgement yet?

I love Jordan Reynolds and her game and SEC tourney is coming up and she tends to up her game in the post season. She was recruited as a combo guard that lacked a consistent outside shot. Her bread and butter was getting to the paint and scoring. While she has the size to elevate over other guards and has shown in some games to be able to get inside on teams to score she is not the best ball handler nor does she have the quickness to do what set her apart from most opponents in high school on a consistent basis. I watched her from the time she was a sophomore in high school and she has definitely grown and progressed as a player and I wouldn't say she is a bust at all. She has worked her butt off for this program and was given a SEC community service award recently so she has represented the Lady Vols well. I just think she is not the answer we needed at our lead guard spot, a position we have not had solid consistent play at for a long time. Massengale was having a breakout season her junior year but then we lost her to a concussion. That was the last season the Lady Vols had elite play at point guard (her senior season she was incredibly inconsistent and admitted as much) and probably the only season we've had that level of play there since Bobbit.

Cooper, Hayes and Westbrook all have the potential to buck the trend of having inconsistent play at the lead guard and if they live up to their potential you'll see an entirely different type of product on the floor. All three have a confidence level that Reynolds and Carter lacked, especially offensively. Of course the freshman and Cooper returning from knee injury will take time to adjust but I think you'll see at least one or two of them really solidifying the point guard spot and whoever doesn't will slide into a prominent role at the other guard spot.

Reactions: 3 people
I just can't wait until next year, the depth we'll have will be pretty solid if DD and Mercedes returns (Which they will, I can hear the NegaVols now.....

*First substitution of the year*

"Holly shuffles players in and out too much"

"Holly doesn't let them get in a rhythm"

I've seen people complain about how Holly should sit this player, Holly should sit that player....this year we don't have the luxury but next year when we do, PLEASE don't complain about players substituting if they aren't playing well. It's going to happen people.

well I'm not so sure that DD and MR will return,if there going to the WNBA why not go after this year ?there probably isn't much reason to come back to UT,of course I don't know much about the WNBA at all :)

i will hate it when both are gone,but i do think it will be sooner rather than later

VN Store

Back