Mulkey Bails Out Wiggins

PointGuard

Kim's dumb comments steal the limelight from Wiggins dumb comments. She was really fired up surprised she didn't take off at least one piece of her clothing

I didn't find Wiggins' comments to be dumb in the least, though she should not have made the comment about the percentage of gay women in the WNBA. That was unnecessary. But more generally, she didn't like the culture in the WNBA. That was her experience, that is her opinion. Who are you to say that her opinion of the WNBA is wrong?

Reactions: 12 people
I didn't find Wiggins' comments to be dumb in the least, though she should not have made the comment about the percentage of gay women in the WNBA. That was unnecessary. But more generally, she didn't like the culture in the WNBA. That was her experience, that is her opinion. Who are you to say that her opinion of the WNBA is wrong?

I think you answered your own question. 98%! Dumb!

Reactions: 2 people
I thought someone got arrested. Move along. Nothing to see here.

I am sure that number is not 98% but I am also sure it is more than 50%. Who really gives a ****. That is a Title 9 type league that should have never happened and that is just my humble opinion.

I think you answered your own question. 98%! Dumb!

No. She corrected you're assertion that Wiggin's "statement" was dumb. Wiggins made several "statements" that were quoted in that original piece. Those "statements" took courage to say, and certainly were not going to endear her to WNBA or media types. I can see no gain for her whatsoever outside the fact that she is relieved to expose the discrimination that she allegedly experienced.

And if your trying to boil all of it down to the "98%" comment. It is obvious that she was using hyperbole and not acting as some sort of literal scientific pollster.

Her clear and obvious point was that "as a heterosexual minority in the WNBA, she experienced significant bullying and abuse because she was not part of the lesbian majority". Nothing "dumb" about it. Dumb is when people attempt to distort the truth by splitting legalistic hairs concerning something insignificant.

Reactions: 7 people
Mulkey is worried about recruiting to Baylor female players. Wiggins point is well taken. It is sad to see beautiful young Women being attacked because they are heterosexual. The same as Christians being attacked because of our faith.

Reactions: 5 people
Im not a touchy feely snowflake type but I was more offended by the arrogance/tone deafness/stupidity of her comments more than anything.

Shes just lucky shes not a guy or the media backlash would have been much worse.

Agreed! While I get she was trying defend her university I also believe she was making those comments for recruiting purposes. She definitely should have chosen her words more wisely because maybe someone does not want to send their daughter there because of what has happened. That does not mean to punch them in the face when there are multiple schools in Texas which are also great choices to attend without the negative publicity. When she said move on and find something else to write about I could see where people think they would be harsh. I'm sure he victim(s) would love to just move on and find something else or go back to being normal acting/feeling student. Finally, she stated that Baylor is no different from any other school in America... while other schools have academic scandal, illegal recruiting violations, etc but I don't know if it was to the extent of what happened at Baylor with so many high ranking people knowing etc. I don't know just a thought but what I do know is her word choice was poor and sometimes she just needs to shut up. Especially from someone that has been such a sore loser and been known to insert foot in mouth before. LEARN something lady it isn't all about wins!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I am sure that number is not 98% but I am also sure it is more than 50%. Who really gives a ****. That is a Title 9 type league that should have never happened and that is just my humble opinion.

Title IX is for schools. This was an attempt to capitalize on the growing popularity of NCAA women's basketball that didn't pan out like they hoped it would.

Title IX is for schools. This was an attempt to capitalize on the growing popularity of NCAA women's basketball that didn't pan out like they hoped it would.

I know that it is for schools just making the case that is not anything other than a sham!!!!!

I despise Mulkey and I hope the Sooners crush them tonight. Likely won't happen, but would love to see the look on that hag's face to get beat.

No. She corrected you're assertion that Wiggin's "statement" was dumb. Wiggins made several "statements" that were quoted in that original piece. Those "statements" took courage to say, and certainly were not going to endear her to WNBA or media types. I can see no gain for her whatsoever outside the fact that she is relieved to expose the discrimination that she allegedly experienced.

And if your trying to boil all of it down to the "98%" comment. It is obvious that she was using hyperbole and not acting as some sort of literal scientific pollster.

Her clear and obvious point was that "as a heterosexual minority in the WNBA, she experienced significant bullying and abuse because she was not part of the lesbian majority". Nothing "dumb" about it. Dumb is when people attempt to distort the truth by splitting legalistic hairs concerning something insignificant.

sensible response.

So, when someone blows a whistle on a hostile culture (if true), almost inevitably others, such as retired players, will come out and report that they had had some similar experiences. On the contrary, WNBA players at large has denied that a bullying culture exist. Most recently the very straight Breanna Stewart, has come out to say that she has seen nothing like this. Even Tara V. is defending the league:

Tara VanDerveer defends WNBA from Candice Wiggins’ allegations - SFGate

But perhaps, the entire lesbo-bullying culture of the WNBA directed all its collective wrath to Wiggins because she was just so, so fine? Okay, if anyone wants to believe that, more power to them I suppose.

The counter argument is that CW had a very, very abrasive personality and as result, she probably did make enemies and receive some hostile treatment. That is an unfortunate situation but it is easier to say "those lesbians are out to get me," than to look in the mirror and say maybe I have been asking for some of this through my own hostile, diva-like actions. Wiggins has backtracked from her 98%, saying that it is how "it felt to her". I think that is true but your feelings don't always correspond to objective realities on multiple fronts. If I punch you in the nose and you hit back, I am not being bullied....

Reactions: 3 people
Mulkey is a Louisiana hillbilly plain and simple.

When the Big 12 disbands Baylor is so screwed. No one in the conference likes them anyway.

Baylor deserves whatever opprobrium they receive for their misogynist treatment of the whole sexual assault situation. At the best, their approach was ham-handed, secretive, and stupid; at worst, they helped create and promote a rape culture.

For the coach of the women's basketball team to use THAT public a forum to speak to the issue, unbidden, shows an amazing lack of awareness and self-control. To further encourage fans to "punch people in the face if they bring it up" takes it to a whole 'nother level.

At any business, any employee that did something like that in a public forum, representing the company to the public, would be at least punished, and probably fired the next morning. Any AD worth his/her salt or paycheck would do likewise with such a coach.

But this is college athletics, where the tail wags the dog so hard that I'm sure nothing will be done. And female students (and male, for that matter) who are thinking about reporting sexual assault will get the message loud and clear, and once again keep it to themselves.

Reactions: 4 people
Baylor deserves whatever opprobrium they receive for their misogynist treatment of the whole sexual assault situation. At the best, their approach was ham-handed, secretive, and stupid; at worst, they helped create and promote a rape culture.

For the coach of the women's basketball team to use THAT public a forum to speak to the issue, unbidden, shows an amazing lack of awareness and self-control. To further encourage fans to "punch people in the face if they bring it up" takes it to a whole 'nother level.

At any business, any employee that did something like that in a public forum, representing the company to the public, would be at least punished, and probably fired the next morning. Any AD worth his/her salt or paycheck would do likewise with such a coach.

But this is college athletics, where the tail wags the dog so hard that I'm sure nothing will be done. And female students (and male, for that matter) who are thinking about reporting sexual assault will get the message loud and clear, and once again keep it to themselves.

You might be right. I doubt they do anything to her for what she said or the venue used. What happened there is egregious enough even without their attempts at covering it up.

So, when someone blows a whistle on a hostile culture (if true), almost inevitably others, such as retired players, will come out and report that they had had some similar experiences. On the contrary, WNBA players at large has denied that a bullying culture exist. Most recently the very straight Breanna Stewart, has come out to say that she has seen nothing like this. Even Tara V. is defending the league:

Tara VanDerveer defends WNBA from Candice Wiggins’ allegations - SFGate

But perhaps, the entire lesbo-bullying culture of the WNBA directed all its collective wrath to Wiggins because she was just so, so fine? Okay, if anyone wants to believe that, more power to them I suppose.

The counter argument is that CW had a very, very abrasive personality and as result, she probably did make enemies and receive some hostile treatment. That is an unfortunate situation but it is easier to say "those lesbians are out to get me," than to look in the mirror and say maybe I have been asking for some of this through my own hostile, diva-like actions. Wiggins has backtracked from her 98%, saying that it is how "it felt to her". I think that is true but your feelings don't always correspond to objective realities on multiple fronts. If I punch you in the nose and you hit back, I am not being bullied....

I have no doubt that there are a significant percentage of lesbians in the WNBA, however, Miss Wiggins thinks more of herself than she should. If you act and play like you are all that and a bag of chips, you are going to receive crap treatment. Just maybe if she had not had her head up her butt she would have been treated better.

KM did not think this one through. I am sure she made these statements because she feared that Baylor's sexual assault cover-up was going to hurt her recruiting. Then I am sure she was informed that her dismissive statements were likely to hurt recruiting even more and hence the major walk-back:

"I hate that I used the remark about punching them in the face," Mulkey said to ESPN.com. "That was not literal. I was trying to make a point, to be firm in what you are saying back at them. I'm not a violent person. I apologize for the very poor choice of words."

"My point was, 'Please don't paint, with a broad brush, the women at Baylor,'" said Mulkey, who has won two national championships during her time at Baylor. "I didn't think about what I was going to say. I looked at my players, and the little girls and the women who are cheering for them. And I spoke with a lot of emotion."

Mulkey said she did not intend for the remarks to mean that the victims should "move on."

"Not only do I sympathize with victims, I am angry about the way victims were treated at this university," Mulkey said. "It is horrible, horrible anytime someone does not take care of a victim. Even one sexual assault is too many. Nobody is dismissing what happened here. I want us to get to the bottom of it. I'm a woman, and I recruit women to come her. "I will never, ever support anybody at this university that dismisses what happens to victims or who doesn't help victims.

VN Store

Back