Washington's Kelsey Plum sets new D-I women's scoring mark

57 points in her final regular season home game. She definitely gave them something to remember her by. I wonder what her encore will be in her final home game during the NCAAT?

Amazingly, they are already talking about The Other Kelsey possibly breaking this record next year.

Reactions: 1 person
Congrats to Plum! But it does make me think whether the opposing team gave any effort on defense. I seen the highlights on sportscenter and I saw a lot of hands down. I'm telling you, if she is my assignment, she ain't getting the scoring record on me and definitely not 50 some points(Im not claiming im any good). Maybe it is just a different era now where defense is not a priority. Oh how nice it would be to see two-way players in WBB.

Congrats to Plum. Washington has the balanced scoring from the support cast.

I would love to see Washington play UCONN to see how geno would defend her

Congratulations to Kelsey. She gave a classy interview, too. Nice young woman and very humble plus she seems well liked by her teammates.

Reactions: 3 people
Congrats to Plum. Washington has the balanced scoring from the support cast.

I would love to see Washington play UCONN to see how geno would defend her

Well Geno wouldn't defend her at all - - Kelsey's too fast and nimble for him:dance2: Kia nurse was UConn's best 1-on-1 defender but now Gabby Hayes could have passed her out. I'd go with Hayes and the triangle and 1. While 1 on 1, UConn lets opposing players in front of them,their switching off team defense is the best I've watched. They just smother

Kia nurse was UConn's best 1-on-1 defender but now Gabby Hayes could have passed her out. I'd go with Hayes and the triangle and 1.

Do you mean Gabby Williams? Gabby Hayes was an ornery old cowboy from the western movies and television shows. I don't think he could defend anyone unless he whipped out his six-shooter. Link:

George 'Gabby' Hayes

Reactions: 2 people
no doubt, congrats to her...the basket must look like a number 3 washtub to her...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

She's really good...Maybe the best I've seen in college at handling the ball and getting up a shot while moving. It helps that she's a lefty.

If she had a better supporting cast that team would be very difficult to defend due to all the attention she demands.

If she had a better supporting cast that team would be very difficult to defend due to all the attention she demands.

Another reason I think she goes ahead of Diamond in the draft. Look at Plum's supporting cast. They are a borderline top 10 team pretty much entirely due to her and how she elevates the players around her....

Another reason I think she goes ahead of Diamond in the draft. Look at Plum's supporting cast. They are a borderline top 10 team pretty much entirely due to her and how she elevates the players around her....

So true Darth Vol. Any competent scout should see this.

It closely parallels the 2007 NBA. Look at how Jimmer Fredette, who set scoring records galore at BYU (and led the entire D1 in scoring his senior year) with limited talent around him. Has he not gone on to become an NBA all-star (leading his team the Milwaukee Bucks to glory)
while those more athletic, higher athletic "fool's gold players!" have bombed like Klay Thompson, Kawhai Leonard, Jimmy Butler, and Isiah Thomas (all 2011 draft mates who were picked after Fredette)?

No question, if you can score in college with a weak supporting cast, that makes you a sure bet pro! It is not like Fredette washed out in the NBA and is now playing for the Shanghai Sharks.

WNBA team's would be foolish to draft the super athletic Diamond DeShields over the earth bound, slowish, Plum.

Last edited:
No question, if you can score in college with a weak supporting cast, that makes you a sure bet pro! It is not like Fredette washed in the NBA and is now playing for the Shanghai Sharks.

WNBA team's would be foolish to draft the super athletic Diamond DeShields over the earth bound, slowish, Plum.

Yeah like that slow unathletic Steph Curry bum that sure washed out of the league in a hurry...

Yeah like that slow unathletic Steph Curry bum that sure washed out of the league in a hurry...

Yes, the one in a million exception certainly proves your point Darth.

But if Steph had only been as good as Adam Morrison, just think what could have been?

Last edited:
Yes, the one in a million exception certainly proves your point Darth.

But if Steph had only been as good as Adam Morrison, just think what could have been?

Or Anthony Bennett. Or Kwame Brown. More one in a million exceptions.

Because we know you can perfectly extrapolate the NBA to women's basketball because it's pretty much exactly the same game....

Or Anthony Bennett. Or Kwame Brown. More one in a million exceptions.

Because we know you can perfectly extrapolate the NBA to women's basketball because it's pretty much exactly the same game....

Oh, Darth I would have expected no less. In your ceaseless quest to lambast things all things LV, you over reached with the tacit dig on Diamond (you know she does not make her teammates better tsk, tsk... Plum will be a better pro and so on).

So, just keep digging away. I am sure that hole is nice and cosy for you.

And time will tell on the rest....

Oh, Darth I would have expected no less. In your ceaseless quest to lambast things all things LV, you over reached with the tacit dig on Diamond (you know she does not make her teammates better tsk, tsk... Plum will be a better pro and so on).

So, just keep digging away. I am sure that hole is nice and cosy for you.

And time will tell on the rest....

Not to be confused with your odd obsessive quest to lambast my opinions. Funny thing is in these "debates" time does indeed tell and you seem to fall in your own "hole" when that time comes....

Not to be confused with your odd obsessive quest to lambast my opinions. Funny thing is in these "debates" time does indeed tell and you seem to fall in your own "hole" when that time comes....

Darthie, if your delicate constitution is not up for people disagreeing with you about the relative merits of players and so forth, perhaps you should not post on fan boards such as this. You are the one who interjected the comparison to Diamond.

If you had said that Plum is a better shooter than DD, no argument from me. But as an all round player and WNBA prospect, I beg to differ. You can have the last word in this interchange, I know you need it. :p

You can have the last word in this interchange, I know you need it. :p

Actually, I'll let former Lady Vol Abby Conklin have the last word. From her social media post:

Congratulations to Kelsey Plum #10 for breaking the NCAA scoring record! Being on the west coast I see a lot of her games and she brings it every game. She plays with passion and her effort is always so consistent. If the Lady Vols had a leader like her, they would be a top 5 team in the country. I have been very disappointed in Diamond DeShields because she should have been this player. I was so excited for her to transfer to TN after I saw her play in the NCAA tourney at Stanford her freshman year. Don't get me wrong, she has had great performances but that's all they are...random performances. I wasn't a super star by any stretch of the word but I did go to battle every game with someone like Kelsey Plum in the great Chamique Holdsclaw. Chamique brought it every game - we, her surrounding cast failed her in our 10 loses my senior year but CH was consistently doing her job in those loses. that's why we were able to win a National Championship because Chamique was our rock! In my opinion, Diamond DeShields is one of the most overrated Lady Vols in the history of the Lady Vols. It takes a lot of maturity to do your job night in and night out.

Actually, I'll let former Lady Vol Abby Conklin have the last word. From her social media post:

Oh Darth, not even your words but hiding behind the acrimonious comments of an ex-Lady vol (who clearly has not been watching Diamond during this SEC run). Not a classy move on her part to take a dig at fellow LV Diamond when ostensibly complimenting Plum. Where is the sisterhood, Abby? Just express your accolades and leave the negavoling too....Well, that had been your job Darthie ole boy but now you merely cut and paste random negavol sentiments from FB pages. Sad!!

But I do truly respect your forthright opinions on the LVs outstanding all-round effort against MSU with Jamie and Diamond making clutch plays and not letting the team get rattled when MSU applied pressure (with considerable help from Jordan who had her best game of the season).

Oh, yeah I forgot, you don't do that....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
But I do truly respect your forthright opinions on the LVs outstanding all-round effort against MSU with Jamie and Diamond making clutch plays and not letting the team get rattled when MSU applied pressure (with considerable help from Jordan who had her best game of the season).

I know, right? You would almost think Diamond has talented players around her or something! One can only imagine how unstoppable she would be if she had Plum's supporting cast....

VN Store

Back