LV softball recruiting...wow!

kamoshika

The next two recruiting classes are going to be special...

2018 class ranking: 1
# of players: 7
Top 200 player rankings: #'s 3, 14, 19, 45, 50, 77, 171
Tennessee has a monster junior class set to sign next fall. The Volunteers have six players in the Hot 100 alone and seven in the top 200. Tennessee coaches Ralph and Karen Weekly are loading up with talent, especially in California and at home in Tennessee. Watch out for the Vols in the future as the Southeastern Conference school continues to recruit well after it inked the No. 12-ranked senior class based on the 2017 Hot 100 and Next 100.
Top 2018 College Recruiting Classes | FloSoftball

2019 class ranking: 1
# of players: 9
Top 300 player rankings: #'s 14, 19, 30, 40, 42, 43, 56, 62, 86
Top-ranked Tennessee will reload with young talent in a few years, bringing in nine 2019 FloSoftball Hot 100 recruits, including Callie Turner (14), Nyomi Jones (19) and Madison Webber (30).
Top 2019 College Recruiting Classes | FloSoftball

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
While listening to some of the parents of the players talk during the recent softball tournaments, it is clear they all think very highly of the Weekly's.

One father said that Ralph was the one that sealed the deal for him sending his daughter to Tennessee.

While listening to some of the parents of the players talk during the recent softball tournaments, it is clear they all think very highly of the Weekly's.

One father said that Ralph was the one that sealed the deal for him sending his daughter to Tennessee.

You did tell them that is just "recruiting talk"....didn't you?

You did tell them that is just "recruiting talk"....didn't you?

Well his daughter is not a freshman she's been in the program a couple of seasons so I tend to think it's more than just recruiting talk.

I've met Ralph and Karen at the WCWS talked softball with them they're tremendous people

I don't keep up much with the LV recruiting, but how do we have such a strong connection with Calif? Anyone know?

I don't keep up much with the LV recruiting, but how do we have such a strong connection with Calif? Anyone know?

Both Ralph and Karen, I think, coached at Lutheran College in California...and cultivated many friendships during their years in that state with AAU programs, high school softball coaches, and others associated with that sport. Was it called California Lutheran University?

Last edited:
OK...looked it up...the school was Pacific Lutheran University...Ralph was there until 1994 when he took the head coaching position in softball at UT-Chat. until 2002...when he came to UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Just keep top pitchers coming (especially lefties) and all will be fine.

I remember when Monica Abbott she wanted to put UT LV softball on the map when she signed. And she did and is the greatest left hander to play the game. I am sure I am wrong but I do not remember another lefty in our program since Monica. I think we should have one on the roster every year and not necessary a stud but one to throw to the hitters. Of course there are not that many great lefties across the country to go around. It seems every year someone in the top 10 in the country gets a transfer in and we just don't. May not try I don't know.

2018 incoming freshman Abby Sprang is described as a power pitching lefty....

Yes! Gabby Sprang will be on the team next year a 6'1 lefty out of Minnesota....So a pitching staff of Moss, Arnold, Sprang next year...then in 2019 a pitching staff of Moss, Arnold, Sprang, and Caymol :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Thanks ..I knew it was Gabby ,smartphone spell check got me 😊.
I can't recall any previous left handed pitchers after Monica..

I remember when Monica Abbott she wanted to put UT LV softball on the map when she signed. And she did and is the greatest left hander to play the game. I am sure I am wrong but I do not remember another lefty in our program since Monica. I think we should have one on the roster every year and not necessary a stud but one to throw to the hitters.

All of this is spot on. Monica Abbott is a big reason why I began following LV SB. She is, indeed, the best lefty pitcher to play the game. She sealed the deal with her million dollar contract last year. If we've had another lefty pitcher since she graduated, I don't recall it. Which is strange... I've commented on this before. You'd think with the success they saw with Monica, that would've been a target area for the Weeklys when it came to recruiting. But then again, like you said, maybe it has been but we haven't been able to land them.

All of this is spot on. Monica Abbott is a big reason why I began following LV SB. She is, indeed, the best lefty pitcher to play the game. She sealed the deal with her million dollar contract last year. If we've had another lefty pitcher since she graduated, I don't recall it. Which is strange... I've commented on this before. You'd think with the success they saw with Monica, that would've been a target area for the Weeklys when it came to recruiting. But then again, like you said, maybe it has been but we haven't been able to land them.

Basically that is the time I started to paying attention to the LV softball team as well. SEC softball was nothing to write home about and before Monica arrived I seem to remember the girls wearing shorts rather than pants. In the early 1980s I had a young lady on my HIgh School team I coached that was one of the first to throw, as it was called the windmill delivery. She was the cats meow back then and we were state runner ups and champs those two years. We got her a full ride at Ms. State and she played I know a couple of years but the competition was not that great then and she was bit by the the LOVE Bug. Her husband also was an athlete at my school and he is a architect now so she turned out ok. By the way she was not a lefty either!
I would think that we should be able to get a good lefty at least every other year if Ralph felt like it was warranted.

Last edited:
Basically that is the time I started to paying attention to the LV softball team as well. SEC softball was nothing to write home about and before Monica arrived I seem to remember the girls wearing shorts rather than pants. In the early 1980s I had a young lady on my HIgh School team I coached that was one of the first to throw, as it was called the windmill delivery. She was the cats meow back then and we were state runner ups and champs those two years. We got her a full ride at Ms. State and she played I know a couple of years but the competition was not that great then and she was bit by the the LOVE Bug. Her husband also was an athlete at my school and he is a architect now so she turned out ok. By the way she was not a lefty either!
I would think that we should be able to get a good lefty at least every other year if Ralph felt like it was warranted.

Interestingly enough, one of my high school coaches played at Mississippi State. Early 2000s I believe. I'm only 24 and I started playing when I was 5. Our rural area didn't make the switch to softball until around 2005, so I can't remember a time when there wasn't a windmill delivery unless slowpitch counts. I do, however, remember the shorts days. We wore shorts in middle school ball. Come freshman year when we had to wear pants, we were sure we'd monkey in this south Georgia heat! Yet, here I am, washed-up collegiate player myself. And I still can't get enough! Lol.

Reactions: 2 people
Interestingly enough, one of my high school coaches played at Mississippi State. Early 2000s I believe. I'm only 24 and I started playing when I was 5. Our rural area didn't make the switch to softball until around 2005, so I can't remember a time when there wasn't a windmill delivery unless slowpitch counts. I do, however, remember the shorts days. We wore shorts in middle school ball. Come freshman year when we had to wear pants, we were sure we'd monkey in this south Georgia heat! Yet, here I am, washed-up collegiate player myself. And I still can't get enough! Lol.

The old pitching style was the" sling shot delivery"!

24? Dang, I have a hat older than that... lol

enjoy the hell out of your youth! it flies by quickly....

Reactions: 3 people

I am an ole timer as well, and my wife tells me to throw out all the old stuff, hats, shoes, pants, drawers, you know the rest!

So everyone tells me! :) I've enjoyed every bit of my 24 years. Just wish I hadn't hung my cleats up so soon. Played a year and a half in college, came home, got married, coached for a while, then took on a full-time job as a reporter. One of the perks of the job is a slow day in the newsroom like today, I get to watch all the softball my heart fancies!

VN Store

Back