WNBA - Candice Wiggins interview AKA " Bitter, Party of One"

I think she is pretty close to being accurate.

Her honest critique of the WNBA was spot on. But the whole, "They hated me because they were jealous" was a bit much. She's not attractive, but you would think she was Kate Upton or something. Maybe in her eyes...

I'm guessing Miss Wiggins didn't have many friends in the WNBA. This whole interview reeks of bitterness and a slightly elevated sense of her physical attraction.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sand...rts/sd-sp-wigginsside-20170217-story,amp.html

Color me skeptical. No way that 98% of the WNBA players are lesbian. And player like Candace Parker, who made People's most beautiful list and is straight has not seem to suffer this level of abuse (or the straight, pretty and devoutly Christian Shana Zolman).

I think the big issue here is a player whose career has been cut short by injurie who is looking to cash in a scandalous tell all book. It may not sell many copies but she may get some appearances on the talk show circuit.

Reactions: 1 person
didn't she attend the most lesbian "friendly" university on the west coast?

Last edited:
didn't she attend the most lesbian university on the west coast?

on what exactly? I'm sure her comment about the number of gays in the WNBA is a major exaggeration, but otherwise Wiggins complaints seem very credible to me, in part because she went to Stanford.

Reactions: 2 people
on what exactly? I'm sure her comment about the number of gays in the WNBA is a major exaggeration, but otherwise Wiggins complaints seem very credible to me, in part because she went to Stanford.

About the business side of the WNBA? Definitely. And it's no surprise to anyone that there are a lot of lesbians in the WNBA. But if you are repeatedly called a ***** by a bunch of different people, chances are you're probably a *****... not that they're jealous because she's so pretty and so good. She was at most an OK player who was borderline "WNBA pretty". Sounds like she's just bitter that she never lived up to her hype and got displaced by girls that were better players and more attractive.

98%???? So she is saying that out of 120 players in the WNBA that only THREE are straight? That's where she lost ALL credibility to me. Do I believe a large percentage of them are gay? Quite possibly. 98%? Dumb statement and nowhere close to true. I can probably name more than 3 if I just sit here and think about it for more than 60 seconds.

So she just didn't fit in? Sounds like an awful lot of whining to me but glad she is leaving the sport for good since it hurt her so much. If she truly believes all she said it would be unhealthy to stay. I can't wait to read the book about how volleyball turned on her in 5 years. Seems more like she didn't live up to her own expectations in the WNBA and was looking for someone to blame. Like AMB said I have rarely seen a person called a b**** more than 5 times by different people and it not be true. Maybe that is just what you put off to people and if she spoke to her teammates the way she gave this interview I'm sure she would have been perceived as one. The whole thing wreaked of a 15 year old girl with self esteem issues.

Last edited:
“I wanted to play two more seasons of WNBA, but the experience didn’t lend itself to my mental state,” Wiggins said. -- She's got it backwards, like she thought the WNBA was supposed to adapt to her rather then she adapt to it. It should have been "my mental state didn't lend itself to playing in the WNBA."

I'm sorry she had a bad experience, and it does seem like she should have been a bright light to attract more viewers, but sometimes people just don't fit in. Maybe she was too pre-occupied with who was gay & who was straight. I hope she does well in beach volleyball & finds a nice husband.

this

The 25 Best Colleges for LGBTQ Students in 2016

Stanford was not the "best" but were in the running! lol

ps, can't find a article with % of gay to straight students.

Last edited:
My wife is Japanese. I am white. We have spent our entire married lives fighting all kinds of racial stereotypes and biases.

I really wish people would just mind their own business when it comes to wondering who's in someone else's bedroom. And that would include Miss Wiggins. On edit: And a bunch of people on this board also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Color me skeptical. No way that 98% of the WNBA players are lesbian. And player like Candace Parker, who made People's most beautiful list and is straight has not seem to suffer this level of abuse (or the straight, pretty and devoutly Christian Shana Zolman).

I think the big issue here is a player whose career has been cut short by injurie who is looking to cash in a scandalous tell all book. It may not sell many copies but she may get some appearances on the talk show circuit.

IIRC Candace Parker was roundly criticized by some so-called feminists in and around the WNBA for choosing to take a break in order to have a child. So this doesn't sound too far fetched.

Reactions: 4 people
I believe Wiggins.

It was a bit reckless (and likely inaccurate) to state that 98% of the players in the W are lesbian, but that she was the victim of sustained abuse is highly likely.

It was the league, NOT Wiggins, that placed Wiggins in the awkward position that resulted in her becoming ostracized. The league, in an effort to appeal to straight men and families, has a history of publicizing the players that they feel like would put everyone at ease by not appearing to masculine. Wiggins was one of those players.

And yes, from what I've heard, those players -- the straight, more feminine-looking ones -- draw a lot of jealous behavior from many of the rest of the players who feel like it's unfair for unproved players to get so much attention just because they are more traditionally feminine looking/acting. So they punish players like Wiggins, even though it's not those players' fault that the league and the media wanted a pretty face to sell to men.

I don't think Wiggins thinks she's any more attractive than anyone else. But she knows that the LEAGUE thought so, and she was ostracized for it.

Reactions: 3 people
I believe Wiggins.

It was a bit reckless (and likely inaccurate) to state that 98% of the players in the W are lesbian, but that she was the victim of sustained abuse is highly likely.

It was the league, NOT Wiggins, that placed Wiggins in the awkward position that resulted in her becoming ostracized. The league, in an effort to appeal to straight men and families, has a history of publicizing the players that they feel like would put everyone at ease by not appearing to masculine. Wiggins was one of those players.

And yes, from what I've heard, those players -- the straight, more feminine-looking ones -- draw a lot of jealous behavior from many of the rest of the players who feel like it's unfair for unproved players to get so much attention just because they are more traditionally feminine looking/acting. So they punish players like Wiggins, even though it's not those players' fault that the league and the media wanted a pretty face to sell to men.

I don't think Wiggins thinks she's any more attractive than anyone else. But she knows that the LEAGUE thought so, and she was ostracized for it.

Then I envision that the league must be hell for players like Candace Parker, Swin Cash and Skylar Diggins, who are straight, beautiful and elite WNBA players. I'm curious if they too are being harassed, or if they have better coping mechanisms.

The WNBA is better off forgetting their attempts to court men (for the most part, the Average Joe male sports fan will never get into the WNBA and would rather watch the NBA D-League) and should focus on expanding their female base beyond lesbians. Dispelling the myth that you have to look and act like a man to be a great basketball player would probably help, and there are plenty of players - gay and straight - that they can showcase as "role models".

Then I envision that the league must be hell for players like Candace Parker, Swin Cash and Skylar Diggins, who are straight, beautiful and elite WNBA players. I'm curious if they too are being harassed, or if they have better coping mechanisms.

Both Candace and Swin came into the league as well-proven players, both winning multiple national championships. Diggins led Notre Dame to three consecutive Final Fours and two consecutive NCAA championship appearances as well as being a two-time winner of the Nancy Lieberman Award as the top point guard in the nation.

All your examples came into the league with FAR more credentials than did Wiggins, and that would make a huge difference with a bunch of jealous women competing for attention.

Both Candace and Swin came into the league as well-proven players, both winning multiple national championships. Diggins led Notre Dame to three consecutive Final Fours and two consecutive NCAA championship appearances as well as being a two-time winner of the Nancy Lieberman Award as the top point guard in the nation.

All your examples came into the league with FAR more credentials than did Wiggins, and that would make a huge difference with a bunch of jealous women competing for attention.

I think you're understating Candice's credentials. She was a 4x All-American and beat out Parker for Wade Trophy honors their senior year. She was every bit as accomplished as an individual, if not more so, than Cash or Diggins who never won POY awards.

Skylar Diggins is not an elite WNBA player. Swin Cash's eliteness was questionable at best. Not that it's really relevant to the conversation.

Skylar Diggins is not an elite WNBA player. Swin Cash's eliteness was questionable at best. Not that it's really relevant to the conversation.

Perception is reality, folks. Also, I'm not saying that I, personally, think that Wiggins wasn't as worthy of the attention as a rookie as anyone else, but that other players very likely didn't think she deserved it. Obviously they didn't.

I think Wiggins told the Unpleasant truth about women's basketball, at least the WNBA version.

I'll bet most of the college women's basketball players have read Wiggins' story.

Reactions: 2 people
IIRC Candace Parker was roundly criticized by some so-called feminists in and around the WNBA for choosing to take a break in order to have a child. So this doesn't sound too far fetched.

Oh my, those evil feminists!!!. Actually, Candace did grief from an aggregate of folks, Sparks fans, sports media commentators who felt she was putting personal interests in front of team (including national team consideration). The latter point is particularly ironic given 2016:

Remember when motherhood wasn?t controversial? « Hot Air

Of course, no chance to take a swipe at "feminists" should ever br foregone (ooh, shudder, shudder, women wanting equal pay and stuff, ooooh scaaaary) but sports media and fans' reactions to Candace's pregnancy HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ISSUE- that is Wiggin's claim that a straight, attractive women in the WNBA will be endlessly bullied by a 98% majority of lesbian players.

Oh, yeah that estimate would also mean that she and Candace would have been the only straight players in the league.

Last edited:
I think you're understating Candice's credentials. She was a 4x All-American and beat out Parker for Wade Trophy honors their senior year. She was every bit as accomplished as an individual, if not more so, than Cash or Diggins who never won POY awards.

Not 100% sure, but the year Wiggins beat out Parker for the Wade trophy, would have been Parker's RS Junior year. 99% sure, she only played 3 years at UT and won 2 NC and went pro. Not that it matters, just saying

VN Store

Back