Five Lessons Learned from the LV-Arkansas Game

madtownvol

[Reposted to correct uneditable error in original post title]

1. Having to watch the first two quarters of that game constituted cruel and unusual punishment.

2. For those who have been asserting, “The LVs would be better off with Diamond because, uh, attitude….” perhaps it is time to reconsider that assessment.

3. For those who have been asserting, “if only Kortney Dunbar would be given more playing time, she would show the world that she is the game changing player who can lead the LVs to a national championship and Holly is not playing KD only because she is an evil agent intent on destroying LV basketball from within...” perhaps it is time to reconsider that assessment.

[In fairness, KD is showing some positive signs of development. In the Bama game, she looked a bit better in her defensive stance and her dribble drive move the basket was a nice play, though it did not work so well on her second attempt. Nonetheless, if she works hard on all facets of her game, I think she could be a solid contributing role player next year, though more an inside post player than a perimeter zone buster.

4. Jamie can be her own worst enemy. I was very worried that the LVs were going to lose to another lowly SEC team because it looked like Jamie was on the verge of imploding. In the second half, she was playing like a bull in a china shop and picked up a silly third foul with an overly aggressive and out of control offensive play (and she almost got a 4th doing the same but the 50-50 call went her way). However, she settled down and had an excellent back half of the game. In her post game interview, she was quite cognizant of letting her emotions and frustrations get the better of her and how this had been a problem all season for her and the team at large and they all need to change their mindsets and blah, blah, blah.

I mean, yeah that is all true but you’re an experienced player and team leader so you should already be putting this wise words into practice. Given that Jamie is aware of this problem, it really can't be put on the coaches that she lets herself get into these funks. Hopefully going forward, she will realize that when the shot is not dropping, concentrate on doing other things to help the team. I think the big shift in Diamond’s game this season is that she has made that shift and now understands that she can impact the game through her defensive intensity as well as by scoring.

5. Alexa continues to step up on the offensive side. Her shooting is a definite and much needed asset for the team. She now constitutes a legitimate outside scoring threat and she is now quite good at making the fake and working in for a mid-range jumper.

Defensively, though, she has some all too exploitable shortcomings. I have noticed that she likes to play tight on defense, getting in the opponent's grill. For a player who lacks lateral quickness, though, that approach is begging to get to blown by and that is what tends to happen. If she sagged off bit, her opponent would have space for a jumper but that % is probably lower than a shot at the rim. [I wonder if the coaching staff wants her to play tight on the assumption that Mercedes could shut down the dribble penetration – which DID not happen during the Bama game.]

Bonus Lesson:

Nell Fortner and Paul Sunderland really like saying "Jimmy Dykes" during their coverage. When they broadcast future Arkansas games, in honor of C&W legend Little Jimmy Dickens, they really should use the moniker - "Little Jimmy Dykes."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I was fortunate to get to go to the game and the first half was painful. AM had quicker feet on the defensive side. I was wondering did Nared even play at all in the second quarter.i don't recall seeing her playing.

I was fortunate to get to go to the game and the first half was painful. AM had quicker feet on the defensive side. I was wondering did Nared even play at all in the second quarter.i don't recall seeing her playing.

Foul trouble kept her off for most of the quarter.

VN Store

Back