Becky Hammon interview - USA Today

rizla

When asked about her future plans, she said “I want to be a head coach somewhere. At what level? I don’t know, whether it’s college or professional. Maybe it’s in the WNBA, maybe it’s in the NBA. … I just try to keep an open mind."

Call her.

Reactions: 7 people
When asked about her future plans, she said “I want to be a head coach somewhere. At what level? I don’t know, whether it’s college or professional. Maybe it’s in the WNBA, maybe it’s in the NBA. … I just try to keep an open mind."

Call her.

Make Vic Schaeffer an offer he can not refuse. Best coach in the SEC.

Reactions: 3 people

Call her.

She would be a home run hire! I don't think she would go just anywhere...but I think she would be receptive to being approached by Tennessee.

Reactions: 4 people
Realistically they are going to give Holly a shot with this recruiting class whether we like it or not. but for me those two coaches mentioned would be my pick. I see both of them more demanding than Holly.

I would feel like I'd died and gone to heaven if ever I read that Becky Hammon was taking over the Lady Vol program.

Really? Hammond's leading credentials are 1) being a very good former player; and 2) serving as an assistant to a coaching legend (Coach Pop).

Do those "qualifications" sound remotely familiar? Oh, yeah Hammond has less experience in the world of college recruiting than our current coach.

I would think if the UTAD were to make change of this type (which it ain't), the move would be for a proven head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Holly will get two more seasons to turn things around. If she does not reach the Final Four in that time she will be replaced.

I think that is a good assessment, though if the LVs win an SEC title (maybe both reg. season and tourney) in say year 2, that accomplishment could render an another elite 8 appearance as a sufficient outcome for the UTAD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Since Holly isn't going anywhere, UT should bring in a HC-caliber associate coach to help her out. UK added Lin Dunn, Vandy got Carolyn Peck, LSU has Mickie DeMoss. Holly needs to be surrounded by coaches who know what to do when she doesn't.

If you can't replace something, you compensate for it.

Since Holly isn't going anywhere, UT should bring in a HC-caliber associate coach to help her out. UK added Lin Dunn, Vandy got Carolyn Peck, LSU has Mickie DeMoss. Holly needs to be surrounded by coaches who know what to do when she doesn't.

Kentucky is not as good as they have been in the past several years.

Vanderbilt is one of the worst teams in the SEC, and will never be at the top of the SEC.

LSU has been mediocre this year, and for the past several years.

True we won't need a high caliber Asst to win in the SEC. The LV will continue their dominance once again. if our recruiting continues to be successful. Remember most SEC school only get about 2 top 100 players a yr. Now having that in mind we can't be middle if the pack going forward. No excuses. Now as far as outside the conference and Big dance we have a lot if work to do and that's where the coaching staff needs to have new ideas

Call her.

I got high hopes upon seeing this thread. :eek:k:

True we won't need a high caliber Asst to win in the SEC. The LV will continue their dominance once again. if our recruiting continues to be successful. Remember most SEC school only get about 2 top 100 players a yr. Now having that in mind we can't be middle if the pack going forward. No excuses. Now as far as outside the conference and Big dance we have a lot if work to do and that's where the coaching staff needs to have new ideas

The LVs have had 5-6 McD AAs on the floor this year and last, coached up by this staff. They have lost to far less talented teams both years. They just choked away a double bye in the SECT by losing to two of the worst teams in the conference. When are these new ideas and continued dominance going to start?

Holly will get two more seasons to turn things around. If she does not reach the Final Four in that time she will be replaced.

Who exactly needs more proof that Warlick can't coach worth a damn? She's already had four years too many. This is like saying: "Let's give that beaver in our back yard another two years to see if he'll stop gnawing on our trees." We've got top 5 talent and yet we've just had two terrible regular seasons in a row; not even in the top 25. It's embarrassing that our AD hired her and even more embarrassing that she is still coach. Makes us look lame. She is a terrible coach.

Reactions: 6 people

why Warlick can't be replaced. Bringing in a top, proven assistant would be utterly stupid. First, what talented coach would even do it? Nobody. Second, if you're going to bring somebody who actually knows what s/he is doing, you might as well hire them and sack Warlick. The only reason there hasn't been more of a staff mutiny is that the assistants we now have know full well that their prospects away from Tennessee are negligible. They've got sit and ride this train off the cliff because they've got nowhere else to go.

Really? Hammond's leading credentials are 1) being a very good former player; and 2) serving as an assistant to a coaching legend (Coach Pop).

Do those "qualifications" sound remotely familiar? Oh, yeah Hammond has less experience in the world of college recruiting than our current coach.

I would think if the UTAD were to make change of this type (which it ain't), the move would be for a proven head coach.

Actually, she has head coaching experience with the NBA summer league program...and came in on top! I would bet anyone that her recruiting ability would be better than what Holly produced in last year's class if she was doing it by e-mail alone...and she certainly doesn't sound clueless in front of a microphone.

Reactions: 2 people
why Warlick can't be replaced. Bringing in a top, proven assistant would be utterly stupid. First, what talented coach would even do it? Nobody. Second, if you're going to bring somebody who actually knows what s/he is doing, you might as well hire them and sack Warlick. The only reason there hasn't been more of a staff mutiny is that the assistants we now have know full well that their prospects away from Tennessee are negligible. They've got sit and ride this train off the cliff because they've got nowhere else to go.

Law will have several places to go, she has been a great assistant and had several offers but chose Tennessee and truth be told Rutgers and their recruiting/guard play hasn't been the same since she left.
She also has 6 former recruits in the WNBA (Cappie Pondexter, Essence Carson, Matee Ajavon, Ephiphany Prince, and Kia Vaughn).

Lockwood probably would end up at a low level D1, I don't think it will be in a power conference, there are a lot of assistant jobs to be had (I wouldn't hire him, but based on the players he can claim to have worked with he will get a job)

Reeves is well respected in coaching circles as well and will also be sought after. With us landing the #1 class after she was hired (which Law was lead recruiter for all of them I believe) it would look like she was responsible for them because we only landed the unranked Harris from Elzy's last year and when Reeves comes on we land the top class.

Just like some of us can see Holly and her inability to get it done, I think other programs will be able to see the same. Yes her assistants also should take some of the blame but at the end of the day they can only do but so much without her permission.

VN Store

Back