WNBA Mock Draft 2017 (2 Tennessee players in the 1st round)

I see the 2017 WNBA mock draft has Diamond going #1 overall to San Antonio and Russell # 7 to Atlanta if they both decide to leave. What do you guys think about this?

https://www.draftsite.com/wnba/mock-draft/2017/

If that's at all accurate, then it looks like the Sparks might be able to land SWK after all. Ronni Williams, Evelyn Akhator and Jessica Jackson would all be appetizing picks as well.

If more analysts release their mock drafts and Mercedes stays in the top 10, I could see her leaving with DD after this year.

Personally, I don't think either one of them is ready for the WNBA, but especially Mercedes. She needs to get stronger and more aggressive. As for Diamond, I haven't heard anything more about her status from the Alabama game, but that could play a role on whether she stays or goes, I would think.

Reactions: 1 person
The prevailing narrative that neither of these player has received the coaching required to help them reach their full potential might strongly influence a WNBA team to draft them.

DD obviously has the skills and athleticism any WNBA team would welcome. And the pro coaches are much more adept at making talented star players effective in a team environment. They have to be... every WNBA team is composed of NCAA All-Americans.

MR could be a bigger challenge... but as they say, you can't coach height. I'm sure she'd go in the top 10 picks. Does anyone believe another year at UT would raise her draft stock? Her pt in her first pro year might not compare to the minutes she'd get here, but she'd make a lot of money playing in Europe or Asia after her first WNBA season.

Jonquel Jones, Boyette and Bulgak all went in the first round last year. And Hollivay was the first pick in the second round. Were they all better than Russell? In 2015 Zahui, Stokes and Harrison went first round. In 2014 Dolson and Gatling went first round and Bussie and Ndour went early in the second. Check some of the stats on these players and compare them with MR's. If you're over 76” tall a WNBA team will not be adverse to taking a chance that you can help them.

I think it's 90% certain that DD goes pro; 50-50 on MR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It says to me, much like Josh Dobbs, that the pro scouts do not believe in the instruction either player has received up to this point in their career.

The prevailing narrative that neither of these player has received the coaching required to help them reach their full potential might strongly influence a WNBA team to draft them.

DD obviously has the skills and athleticism any WNBA team would welcome. And the pro coaches are much more adept at making talented star players effective in a team environment. They have to be... every WNBA team is composed of NCAA All-Americans.

MR could be a bigger challenge... but as they say, you can't coach height. I'm sure she'd go in the top 10 picks. Does anyone believe another year at UT would raise her draft stock? Her pt in her first pro year might not compare to the minutes she'd get here, but she'd make a lot of money playing in Europe or Asia after her first WNBA season.

I think it's 90% certain that DD goes pro; 50-50 on MR.

The draft next year will be much stronger than this year. I don't think Diamond would be #1 next year (probably A'ja Wilson). I think MR will be a lower draft pick next year for the same reason. So from a financial perspective, assuming she is healthy, the lure of being a #1 pick and getting a bunch of endorsements might be too much for DD to walk away from, and there are probably similar financial incentives for MR to leave as well.

It would be one thing if they were playing for a good coach, but they play for Holly. The best they can hope for with her as head coach is probably the E8 and then losing to a less talented team. I can't see why they would bother staying.

Reactions: 3 people
It may not come down to whether either is WNBA-ready anyway. One or both may feel that they still have unfinished business at Tennessee, considering the past two seasons. They might just see an opportunity to go out on a more positive note next year.

I certainly hope they both stay as the freshmen need to play behind these players for a season. Diamond and Mercedes along with Nared have carried us this season. They haven't had much help other than the three of them.

It may not come down to whether either is WNBA-ready anyway. One or both may feel that they still have unfinished business at Tennessee, considering the past two seasons. They might just see an opportunity to go out on a more positive note next year.

And if they stay, they will leave after next season still with unfinished business.

They won't win the NC because there are too many teams that will be close to them in talent and with better coaching. And then there's UConn.

It would be one thing if they were a favorite to win the NC, but I doubt they are higher than #10 in the pre-season polls assuming everyone stays...and that's probably about where they would finish the season.

I hope they are both Top 10 picks. My goal is for UT to clean house and start fresh. Both are talented but lack the traditional Lady Vol leadership and attitude.

And if they stay, they will leave after next season still with unfinished business.

They won't win the NC because there are too many teams that will be close to them in talent and with better coaching. And then there's UConn.

It would be one thing if they were a favorite to win the NC, but I doubt they are higher than #10 in the pre-season polls assuming everyone stays...and that's probably about where they would finish the season.

In one way I would like to see DD and MR stay and see if the incoming Freshmen can help us get back on track!

On the other hand this Holly led team is so hard to watch! We will still try and force the ball inside when we will now have shooters to beat those zones??? What makes anyone think the philosophy will change! The other side of me wants to take away the 6'6" target inside and see if that will change the way they play offense! Nothing else is working!
We would be guard oriented? Tea, Middleton, MeMe, Hayes, Westbrook, wings( Nard , Davis Kortney ). Somehow I do not see us forcing the ball to KK..... Harris.... Green (maybe) ???

Then our strength would be outside and not inside!! So Holly would run a new offense built on guard and wing players?????!!!!! (NAH... just wishful thinking)

I can't see DD staying. Perhaps if the season hadn't turned south, she might have been motivated to return and try to help lead the LVs to a F4 next year. She said she came here to help steer the LVs back to glory and I'm sure she wanted to hang another banner in the rafters. It's a shame how it all turned out.

But now I suspect we'll see what we saw with the football team-- everybody who has a shot at the draft will leave early.

All this talk about Diamond as the slam dunk #1 pick really surprises me. Has anyone seen Plum play and the absurd numbers she is putting up? She elevates the team as well...

I doubt either is really ready. The question is, would they be more ready in an year? Mercedes has improved this year, and has a ways ago. I cannot imagine her being drafted at this point. Will DD be more ready? I doubt she would. She knows about what she will ever know. Another year MIGHT polish her, or it might not.

All this talk about Diamond as the slam dunk #1 pick really surprises me. Has anyone seen Plum play and the absurd numbers she is putting up? She elevates the team as well...

NPOY is Kelsey's to lose, but I can see WNBA scouts looking at Diamond and thinking she has more upside as a pro.

If Russell is going in the first round, this must be a down year for post. Russell has potential but right now she does not block out well, not very aggressive and as slow as molasses in the Winter time in Canada. Pro post will eat her alive. At best she is a project. She is no way near what Griner was in her first year in the WNBA, and she needed a lot of work.

Last edited:
I get that, I just don't think it's a no-brainer. Scorers like Plum don't grow on trees...

I guess it depends on if the scouts believe Kelsey will be able to score in the WNBA like she did in college. She reminds me of Jackie Stiles, who got her points in the WNBA but at a much lower efficiency compared to her college days. Kelsey plays smart, but she's not very big or quick. Not sure if she will be able to replicate her performance in the WNBA.

I think Kelsey will be a serviceable pro, but I think that enough WNBA GMs will be infatuated with Diamond's athleticism that she probably is a more popular top pick. In either case, I think it's a certainty that those will be the top 2 picks.

I guess it depends on if the scouts believe Kelsey will be able to score in the WNBA like she did in college. She reminds me of Jackie Stiles, who got her points in the WNBA but at a much lower efficiency compared to her college days. Kelsey plays smart, but she's not very big or quick. Not sure if she will be able to replicate her performance in the WNBA.

I think Kelsey will be a serviceable pro, but I think that enough WNBA GMs will be infatuated with Diamond's athleticism that she probably is a more popular top pick. In either case, I think it's a certainty that those will be the top 2 picks.

Kelsey Mitchell of Ohio State is also considering turning pro and has been talked about as a potential first pick like Diamond and Plum. I think it will boil down to how they play in the tournament and if Diamond and Mitchell leave (they both have 1 year of eligibility left that will decide who goes first.

I think San Antonio would be better taking Diamond of Plum because they already have McBride at the 2 spot who can play the 3 and Jefferson at the point spot and they both are young and have experience in the league where as plum would be finding her way, Diamond gives them the better option to play the 3 in her second year as Mcbride is a tad undersize to play there (although she is serviceable)

NPOY is Kelsey's to lose, but I can see WNBA scouts looking at Diamond and thinking she has more upside as a pro.

Pro ball is mostly about beating isolation's, so she will excel...Credibility note: They have Mercedes listed at 6'.:nono:..I hope Atlanta wants a short post.

She reminds me of Jackie Stiles, who got her points in the WNBA but at a much lower efficiency compared to her college days.

Stiles was the WNBA Rookie of the Year (over Lauren Jackson) and likely would have been one of the all time great WNBA guards if injuries didn't derail her career soon after. Not sure comparing Plum's game to hers (and I don't disagree) is such a bad thing....

Reactions: 3 people
Aaaand Plum puts up 57(!!!) more points to become the women's NCAA all time scoring leader.

All due respect to Diamond, but any team that passes on Plum will be sorry....

This might be wishful thinking but Diamonds body language and actions on the court didn't seem like this would be her last game are TBA.

This might be wishful thinking but Diamonds body language and actions on the court didn't seem like this would be her last game are TBA.

Maybe not but I did see her family in attendance maybe because it's her last game at TBA. 🤔

The money in the WNBA is pretty poor, so it's not like anyone will be passing up big bucks if she doesn't go pro after her junior season. That said, I think DD probably will go pro, because she'll be a top pick and what's to keep her at UT? We are not going to win a national title with Warlick, that's for sure. I don't care what our recruiting is like: we could sign the top five prospects in the nation every year: we're not winning a natty with Warlick. So I expect DD to leave, but not sure about Russell. MR seems pretty level headed. Will she graduate this year or no? If so, that might persuade her to leave; if not, she could stay. I don't think she's ready for the WNBA, but not sure how much beneift she'd get from another year of college either.

VN Store

Back