2030 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on One thing I noticed. within the forum Tennessee Lady Vols. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 02-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
bobkitten

One thing I noticed
One thing I noticed

In another game (FSU vs Texas?) was EVERYBODY on the team getting down the court at pretty much the same time (fast) and EVERYBODY going up for the rebound each time! Offense or defense!

Heck, half the time at least, we have the ball being shot (and goal missed) when 1-2 members of the team are barely across the half court! And when the ball IS shot, we have far too many of the 5 on court just w a t c h i n g it go and start to come down before any movement on their part.

I was really struck by that other team having every player going for, and seemingly convinced they would have, every rebound. Almost like it was required that they go, like there was a bounty on the rebound or something!

Anyone else want to share an observation?
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
mike099

Yes. I guess some of our team do not want to waste energy on rebounding
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
maxvolfan

One thing I noticed
Crash the freaking boards!
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
hokievol12

One thing I noticed One thing I noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitten View Post
In another game (FSU vs Texas?) was EVERYBODY on the team getting down the court at pretty much the same time (fast) and EVERYBODY going up for the rebound each time! Offense or defense!

Heck, half the time at least, we have the ball being shot (and goal missed) when 1-2 members of the team are barely across the half court! And when the ball IS shot, we have far too many of the 5 on court just w a t c h i n g it go and start to come down before any movement on their part.

I was really struck by that other team having every player going for, and seemingly convinced they would have, every rebound. Almost like it was required that they go, like there was a bounty on the rebound or something!

Anyone else want to share an observation?
You are correct! As I watched the game the other night, I thought about the 2 pillars that Pat built this program on....defense and rebounding! On a couple of occasions I was looking at the tv screen and a shot was made with NO LV jerseys inside the paint...inexcusable...and Pat would turn over in her grave if she could witness the lack of priority on solid defense and rebounding. When I checked a week or so ago, Tennessee had given up the 3rd most points of any SEC school (matador defense), and the 2 teams more generous than the LV'S had sub 500 records...but Holly says, they play hard and practice hard...and her assertion that "we're a great team" doesn't pass the "eye" test...
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
maxvolfan

One thing I noticed
I think a lot of that matador defense is the players not trying to get in foul trouble seeing that we have a short bench with very little help.
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
VFLCodyGBO

One thing I noticed
One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed
My high school coach always preached "Sprint on defense Run on offense".

At the time we made fun of it because it was dumb, but it made sense. Defense in basketball is where the game is won and lost for most teams.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
mike099

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvolfan View Post
I think a lot of that matador defense is the players not trying to get in foul trouble seeing that we have a short bench with very little help.
I had a thought about the short bench. Most of the teams we play have starters recruited at or below our 4 bench players. I say play them all. Who knows maybe Nunn, Harris and Dunbar may get in the flow if given a chance of more than a few minutes here and there.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #8
bobkitten

One thing I noticed
Nunn has done well tonight! Alexa was better than usual. The others? meh
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
RollerVol

One thing I noticed One thing I noticed
One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitten View Post
Nunn has done well tonight! Alexa was better than usual. The others? meh
IMHO, if DD doesn't come back...both are gonna have to play a more significant role...and, as always...

GO LADY VOLS!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #10
feathersax

One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed
One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed
After watching most of the USCe-UConn game, those teams played with purpose, strategy & hustle...ALL of which are painfully absent with the Lady Vols.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #11
I81Exit146

One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed One thing I noticed
Sad to see what's happened to the Lady Vols

I will not make another trip to TBA until there is a new coach. Was at the TAMU game. What I witnessed was pathetic.

There are couple of exceptions, but these players act like the entitled to be there, expect things to go their way, put out little effort at the hustle part of the game. The offense is atrocious at best. The rebounding is nonexistent.

These players and coaches don't overcome adversity, cave and don't fight back.

Even the crowd and environment in the arena has changed. Less of the pep band but plenty of piped in music. Yuk! The best part of that game was the frisbee dogs at halftime. Meanwhile the fans are too busy chowing down on popcorn and nachos. Better wake up folks, the game has passed the coach by and she's too stubborn or dumb to notice.
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
Sportslady

One thing I noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by I81Exit146 View Post
Sad to see what's happened to the Lady Vols

I will not make another trip to TBA until there is a new coach. Was at the TAMU game. What I witnessed was pathetic.

There are couple of exceptions, but these players act like the entitled to be there, expect things to go their way, put out little effort at the hustle part of the game. The offense is atrocious at best. The rebounding is nonexistent.

These players and coaches don't overcome adversity, cave and don't fight back.

Even the crowd and environment in the arena has changed. Less of the pep band but plenty of piped in music. Yuk! The best part of that game was the frisbee dogs at halftime. Meanwhile the fans are too busy chowing down on popcorn and nachos. Better wake up folks, the game has passed the coach by and she's too stubborn or dumb to notice.
I have tickets to Greenville for the SEC tourney in a couple of weeks. Only time I will see the LVOLS live this year. Wondering if there will be many orange shirts in the crowd? It's an 8 hour drive for me. Knoxville to Greenville is half (?) that. Sad to see the program decline. LVFL.....
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
maxvolfan

One thing I noticed
Nunn had 15pt 15 RBs but I didn't see her much in the 4th. Was she in foul trouble? Did I miss something?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
PRG

One thing I noticed
One thing I noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvolfan View Post
Nunn had 15pt 15 RBs but I didn't see her much in the 4th. Was she in foul trouble? Did I miss something?
Coaching strategies 😈
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
maxvolfan

One thing I noticed
Well she should have played unless it was a conditioning issue or foul trouble but she stays in if I'm the coach. She was the only player other that Mercedes willing to play hard.
Reply With Quote TOP