Redemption for the SEC

meekfan

well, maybe not exactly but I really like SC's chances tonight. They are playing well and with all the hype about this being UCon's 100th win they couldn't have a bigger incentive. Go 'Cocks!

and it will take my mind off this past weekend!

well, maybe not exactly but I really like SC's chances tonight. They are playing well and with all the hype about this being UCon's 100th win they couldn't have a bigger incentive. Go 'Cocks!

Unfortunately...UConn by 20...or more...:sad:

Reactions: 2 people

This game will rest on the shoulders of Harris, Cuevas, Gray and Davis. If they can hit perimeter shots, UConn will not be able to stop Wilson and Coates inside.

SC needs to take a page from the UConn playbook and all five players on the court have to look to score. I don't care how active Cliney is. If she's not outright shutting down her player, then she shouldn't be in the game.

This game will rest on the shoulders of Harris, Cuevas, Gray and Davis. If they can hit perimeter shots, UConn will not be able to stop Wilson and Coates inside.

SC needs to take a page from the UConn playbook and all five players on the court have to look to score. I don't care how active Cliney is. If she's not outright shutting down her player, then she shouldn't be in the game.

UCONN has been good about denying the entry pass to most of the bigs they have played against so far. And if they do get the ball inside UCONN attacks the ball. They better be able to do something with the ball. Open player passes or put it up quickly.

It will be fun to watch what happens in the paint with Coates and Wilson. UCONN will have big problems if Collier and Williams get into foul trouble like against Maryland. Big girl Butler might be important for UCONN tonight.

UCONN has been good about denying the entry pass to most of the bigs they have played against so far. And if they do get the ball inside UCONN attacks the ball. They better be able to do something with the ball. Open player passes or put it up quickly.

It will be fun to watch what happens in the paint with Coates and Wilson. UCONN will have big problems if Collier and Williams get into foul trouble like against Maryland. Big girl Butler might be important for UCONN tonight.

Coates and Wilson are really good at catching and going straight up without bringing the ball down. I noticed in the ND game that Williams fronted Turner and deflected a lot of high low passes. Coates needs to bury her behind her if she is going to be a factor. Wilson also needs to mix up jumpers, drives and high low passes to keep defenses honest.

If UConn is unable to stop those high low passes, I can see them getting in foul trouble.

I think KLS vs Davis might be the key matchup of the game. If it's not at worst a wash, then I don't see how they can win.

Another question is whether Coates and Wilson will be able to run the floor with Williams and Collier for 40 minutes.

Other than the hype over the "streak", this game is relatively meaningless. Whether UConn wins or loses, they will remain the no 1 seed and no one seems to be penalized for losing to UConn. This isn't the tournament where if you lose you go home.

Of course as a UConn fan I want them to win but streaks always end. I remind myself that after their last loss, to Stanford, they won the next 99. And that ain't bad. :)

Another question is whether Coates and Wilson will be able to run the floor with Williams and Collier for 40 minutes.

Yes, especially Coates. She is always operating at full speed.

Haven't seen Wilson run into stamina issues, but I do think that if Coates and Wilson get going, they will wear down UConn's undersized posts.

Haven't seen Wilson run into stamina issues, but I do think that if Coates and Wilson get going, they will wear down UConn's undersized posts.

If Geno runs his horses right, he will dictate the matchups and eliminate the advantage SC has.
It's all about dictating the matchups and tempo.

Reactions: 1 person
UCONN by 20. Geno is a much much better coach than Dawn Staley.

Heck, USC lost at home to an unranked Tennessee team. That was a coaching loss on the part of Staley.

If South Carolina bigs stay out of foul trouble I think they win by at least 10. Uconn 2 post players are 5"11 & 6"1 Wilson & Coates should dominate them.

I know this is all about the UCONN/SC matchup, but the Texas/Florida State game before it should be interesting. I am sure that both teams have improved since the beginning of the season.

Florida State has quite a few lower top 50 players on the roster and seem to have a good head coach( I must not go there).

I really just want to see Uconn lose. It would make my day to see them disappointed on their home court.

I know this is all about the UCONN/SC matchup, but the Texas/Florida State game before it should be interesting. I am sure that both teams have improved since the beginning of the season.

Florida State has quite a few lower top 50 players on the roster and seem to have a good head coach( I must not go there).

Texas looked really good in beating Baylor last week. They've won 18 in a row since losing to UConn, and Holmes looks like a look for FOY.

I haven't seen FSU play this year, but they've played UConn the closest this year. Should be a good game.

I really just want to see Uconn lose. It would make my day to see them disappointed on their home court.

I want to see UConn crack under pressure, but I sense that if SC is to win, they will have to 100% earn it.

I am excited for both games. I am purposefully going to the gym really early so I can be home to watch. I want to see what FSU looks like since I haven't watched them in anything but the 1 game vs UConn and anyone's first game of the season as an analytical standpoint by February is worthless. Most teams improve drastically from game 1 to game 20+ (hopefully).

I think FSU's clean defense will give them the win unless both Lang and Holmes have big nights. As far as the UConn game I don't think UConn wins by 20, maybe 6-8 points. People keep talking about the post play but in reality the guards are who will have to come to play to beat UConn. You DO NOT beat UConn with post play. I'm not sure why people haven't learned that yet. You would think by now some coach would go back and watch all the games they have lost... it wouldn't be that hard they have only lost 14 in 10 years and realize it's guard play but what do I know I'm not a D1 coach.

Anyways, I think Coates & Wilson could hit their averages or even have 20 a piece but if UConn makes their guards inefficient UConn still wins. You don't beat a great team of 5 with 2 players... Any given 5 on the floor have to bring it. What UConn lacks in size they make up for in versatility... size can be negated (unless you're Britney Griner) versatility cannot.

Nuyoika, I agree. Davis and Gray in particular need to be scorers tonight for SC to stay in it. And I doubt Coates and Wilson will have room to operate and score if those two wings are not spreading the defense.

If Coates/Wilson have big games against UConn, it will only be through the efforts of the perimeter players.

Nuyoika, I agree. Davis and Gray in particular need to be scorers tonight for SC to stay in it. And I doubt Coates and Wilson will have room to operate and score if those two wings are not spreading the defense.

If Coates/Wilson have big games against UConn, it will only be through the efforts of the perimeter players.

I hope they give UConn a good game. I truly do. I also hope Dawn trusts the process. What I have learned by watching South Carolina this year is that even though they say they are trying to move to a motion offense when things get too close for comfort the staff reverts back to the South Carolina of the 13-14 or 14-15 season.

It drives me nuts. Let your guards loose! You got stallions out there that you are treating like phillies. Trust them to make the right decisions. If you watch them play a bad team she lets them loose, you watch them play a good team and she will let them loose until it's like she gets scared to lose then its like halt... toss it to Wilson. It's hard to evolve when you don't trust the plan you are paying Balcomb for. I think that is partially why they haven't really "wowed" as much as they could have so far this year.

Last edited:
I hope they give UConn a good game. I truly do. I also hope Dawn trusts the process. What I have learned by watching South Carolina this year is that even though they say they are trying to move to a motion offense when things get too close for comfort the staff reverts back to the South Carolina of the 13-14 or 14-15 season.

It drives me nuts. Let your guards lose! You got stallions out there that you are treating like phillies. Trust them to make the right decisions. If you watch them play a bad team she lets them lose, you watch them play a good team and she will let them lose until it's like she gets scared to lose then its like halt... toss it to Wilson. It's hard to evolve when you don't trust the plan you are paying Balcomb for. I think that is partially why they haven't really "wowed" as much as they could have so far this year.

I haven't seen a game yet where the two posts and two wings all have good games at the same time, and don't really understand why. On paper, those are four of the best players at their position in all of WCBB.

Two years ago when they played their first game there were a lot of posters who thought SC's size and depth would wear UConn down. But mid way through the first half it was SC, despite subbing out their posts, who were calling time out because there posts were having a tough time catching their breath. This year it's Staley talking about slowing down the game. I watch a lot of wcbb and no team plays nearly as fast as UConn. It's not just running end to end, it's chasing UConn around on defense. Collier and Williams are at a disadvantage down low but both have a nice midrange jumper and Coates is at a huge disadvantage when she has to go outside and chase either Collier or Williams around.

The two things that could hurt UConn are fouls and the outside shooting of Davis and Gray. If UConn's starters can stay on the court they will win easily.

Last edited:
I predict UConn will apply ball pressure to the guards to prevent touches to Coates and Wilson. Wilson may have a good game, but both likely will not.

UConn by at least 20.

So the SC team that couldn't even beat Tennessee, at home, is the SC team that's finally going to give UConn a competitive game???

011dbd85e14dbcfe8d91de724c215243ac35c8533fd05b9e02715712cbfc456e.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
Wah wah U Conn got a travel called on them! They can't believe it! No one would dare do that! And the UConn players are starting to work the refs.

Hope it will be called fairly--no Coach K "advantage" for UConn.

VN Store

Back