Holly's TAMU Presser

T.J.

Transcription of an exchange in the Presser.

@ 1:30 Reporter- Diamond missed most of the 2nd quarter and she came back in the 3rd and I don't think she took a shot. Was it just to concentrate on defense, on Williams or just the way the game was going or how did that work out?

Coach Holly Warlick -
I...I don't have no idea how many shots the 2nd (pause) the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Reporter-
inaudible

Coach Holly Warlick -

I..I have no idea.
I thought we were very effective going inside..uhm (glancing down reading something on the table with a slight giggle and a shake of her head)..

You just can't give up 15 offensive boards and down the stretch they just just they got the loose balls....
the last shot at the end we gave up I think two offensive rebounds so I...I..I..don't have no idea how many
I do know this
we quick shot the basketball the 4th quarter
we shou
we should of gone inside
we should of penetrated and gone inside
and uh
so.... (long pause while looking down at the table)
Diamond got 12 looks at (shrugs her shoulder)

You have to see it to believe it! Y'all got all of that? That is The Tennessee Lady Volunteer coach answering a question about Diamond Deshields and she evades it by talking gibberish!!!!

University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Video

My opinion. I hope Holly realizes that she is in over her head and just quit. She obviously does not know what she is doing. Her reply to the reporter tells the whole the story! She is incompetent!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
She's clearly frustrated with a team she feels lacks grit, heart and the will to win a must-win game. This team is missing something besides coaching and a PG. The LVs are a seasoned team. The starters are two RS JRs, two JRs and a SR, yet they lack leadership.

Reactions: 4 people
She's clearly frustrated with a team she feels lacks grit, heart and the will to win a must-win game. This team is missing something besides coaching and a PG. The LVs are a seasoned team. The starters are two RS JRs, two JRs and a SR, yet they lack leadership.

Holly did not answer the reporter's question because she does not know what she is doing.

Watch the presser. Stay focus on what her answers are and how she answers them. She's incompetent. It's very telling.

Reactions: 7 people

It's obvious Holly is way over her head. Lady Vols BB reminds me of the post Wooden years at UCLA

There is a serious disconnect between Warlick and the players, or some of the players. It was obvious last year--with DeShields--and we've seen it this year, too: a lack of consistent effort and motivation, game to game. Warlick does not have the personality and communications and leadership skills that you need in a head coach, and while certain players and teams can go on and play hard and well anyway, others can't and don't. In Harrison and Burdick we had two good leaders. We don't seem to have anyone on this team. Reynolds should be a leader, but she just doesn't have the eye of the tiger. Reynolds, when she was a soph, as some games when she was really good. The last couple of years, she hasn't had hardly any--she doesn't play badly, she just doesn't go after it like she could, and she's not a leader. Neither is DeShields, who has worked a lot harder this year and been better in most respects, but I think will always be handicapped by her seemingly moody personality.

Holly certainly does not know how to reach this group--that's been evident for two years. I don't even watch her post-game media sessions anymore--they are embarrassing and rather pathetic. She occasionally makes a germane point but too often stammers and scratches her head and makes clear that she has no answers.

Reactions: 6 people
Holly did not answer the reporter's question because she does not know what she is doing.

Watch the presser. Stay focus on what her answers are and how she answers them. She's incompetent. It's very telling.

I watched the presser. All of it. No, she's not good in pressers. Yes, she's in over her head. We have another HC who's much the same. Both will be back next year. Just the way it is.

I watched the presser. All of it. No, she's not good in pressers. Yes, she's in over her head. We have another HC who's much the same. Both will be back next year. Just the way it is.

Holly likes it when fans say that's just the way it is.

Reactions: 4 people
Well, then, in your opinion, what should fans do?

Keep posting their opinions and thoughts on the matter. Discussing the situation. What we all are doing, now.

Letters to the Athletic Department on seeking out a new coach for the team.

Using social media and getting the sports media in Knoxville Tennessee to address the problem. Why is Holly above reproach? Something is just not right.

Reactions: 1 person
Write or email the chancellor and the new AD and tell them how you feel and what you think should be done.

Very good and send them the pressers and highlight her non-answers to questions about how and why they are losing games.

She can not intelligently respond because she does not know what she is doing.

Keep posting their opinions and thoughts on the matter. Discussing the situation. What we all are doing, now.

Letters to the Athletic Department on seeking out a new coach for the team.

Using social media and getting the sports media in Knoxville Tennessee to address the problem. Why is Holly above reproach? Something is just not right.

She's not above reproach. Nobody likes it. But UTAD is not going to fire a female HC who has a better record than the male HCs in the top two revenue-producing sports. It's all about the money. Withdrawing financial support is the only effective weapon.

She's not above reproach. Nobody likes it. But UTAD is not going to fire a female HC who has a better record than the male HCs in the top two revenue-producing sports. It's all about the money. Withdrawing financial support is the only effective weapon.

It's not about anyone other than Holly. The University in no way should be afraid to dismiss Holly because she's a woman. The issue is that she's a woman that can't coach. That's the issue. Comparing her to the men's program should not even be considered in this case. The Lady Volunteers have a history of dominance and Holly has single handedly done an injustice to the program.

Ok but what do you mean by withdrawing financial support? How does one do that?

Reactions: 3 people
It's not about anyone other than Holly. The University in no way should be afraid to dismiss Holly because she's a woman. The issue is that she's a woman that can't coach. That's the issue. Comparing her to the men's program should not even be considered in this case. The Lady Volunteers have a history of dominance and Holly has single handedly done an injustice to the program.

Ok but what do you mean by withdrawing financial support? How does one do that?

Don't go to games or buy tickets, popcorn, or drinks.

She is definitely right about the offensive boards and it is not a new problem been going on all season. If she had any idea how to fix it I figure she would. You would think somebody on this staff would know how to prevent so many second and third shots by other teams but no one has found a solution yet.

Perhaps insisting that ALL the players rebound every time, instead of watching the ball hit the rim and THEN moving. Forget trying for a fast break. EVERYBODY is in there for a rebound!

In fact, end ALL standing and watching. No more "run to your place and stay there" like a 4th grade team on offense!

Don't go to games or buy tickets, popcorn, or drinks.

That's already happening. Average home attendance has dropped more than 20% since her first year coaching.

2012/13 - 11,390
2016/17 - 9,026

I don't know how that translates into revenue but it seems significant.

Last edited:
Maybe you should take someone's point of view who's been there before? Rather than jumping off the cliff, and crucifying someone.

"(On how hard it is to win in Thompson-Boling Arena)
“When we got off that bus, 12 different management people came and said ‘Hey, good luck coach.’ They were spread out all over. This is not done at every venue, but it’s done here. They know how to run a building, and they know how to do it with hospitality and give those folks credit. The basketball game was special, but I tell you, I read your articles this morning. The one on Jordan Reynolds was outstanding. I didn’t quite agree with the other one. Do you know how hard it’s been to replace John Wooden? It hadn’t been done. Holly is doing one heck of a job. If I had made, since my national championship, three Elite Eights and one Sweet Sixteen, they would have built a statue for me and my money would have been sky high. It’s time you all get off your wagon and realize you’re in a different era right now. Holly is doing as good as what she can with two kids that are out for the year and limited. I’ve got to do a better job. I’m bringing in the No. 9 recruiting class; you all are bringing in the No. 1. I’m telling you right now, let’s just go to Connecticut in about seven years when Geno hangs it up and meets me on the golf course. When Shea Ralph takes over, you want to talk about something that’s going to be hard? When you replace a legend, that’s the hardest job in America.” - Gary Blair

She is definitely right about the offensive boards and it is not a new problem been going on all season. If she had any idea how to fix it I figure she would. You would think somebody on this staff would know how to prevent so many second and third shots by other teams but no one has found a solution yet.

6 of those offensive boards came at the end of the game.
3 on the last two possessions. By that time the girls had played their hearts out the whole game. They were noticeably reeling and had the appearance of a team that was "playing through a destiny they had experienced several times before"... No confidence, no movement, all jump-shots, no taking it to the hoop during the AM run/first 5-6 possessions....all jumpers.

some say blame the players.
I say, a blowout is a players' win or loss... all games within one score, is on Me.

VN Store

Back