the coach who succeeded Bobby Knight at IU

interesting article and parallels from a basketball coach now at Texas Southern who succeeded Bobby Knight after he was fired.

Mike Davis on coaching at IU: ?That should be your last job, not your first job? | Vigilant Sports

Had Bobby Knight coached that team the entire season, rather than being fired, he would have won the NCAA Championship, rather than losing in the championship game.
Knight had plenty of coaching experience and had seen it all. He would have made the adjustments to win the championship game.
I know he can be a jerk and people had grown tired of him, BUT imagine how he feels knowing that had he remained as the coach, he could have had another championship and would have kept his job for many years to come.
His firing was his own fault though.

IU was literally the elite of the CBB world. They lose their HoF coach and make the wrong hire of a coach without proper HC experience. It's been downhill ever since.

Sound familiar to anyone around here?

Reactions: 1 person
IU was literally the elite of the CBB world. They lose their HoF coach and make the wrong hire of a coach without proper HC experience. It's been downhill ever since.

Sound familiar to anyone around here?
---
Yeah but CPF had a couple off years and recruiting dropped a little bit. Pffft.

You know how far away this program is from the late 90's glory? Hard to believe but yes..we actually used to beat Alabama...and win the SEC....AND win a national championship.

But....the program could do sooooo much better than that cat fish eating buffoon right? As evidenced by all the SEC titles and national championship games we've been in since that idiot got fired. Smdh.

Means nothing to a program like ours. Elite 8s are not something we should be proud of.

Wrong. Wins should be celebrated and enjoyed. You make it sound like making the elite 8 is a failure. Have you ever done anything anywhere equivalent to something like that? You really set your self gratification requirements up for failure when you set those type of goals for what will satisfy you. Lol

Wrong. Wins should be celebrated and enjoyed. You make it sound like making the elite 8 is a failure. Have you ever done anything anywhere equivalent to something like that? You really set your self gratification requirements up for failure when you set those type of goals for what will satisfy you. Lol

I've reached plenty of milestones. Earned a Ph.D at UT. I could've been satisfied and celebrated earning a bachelors and masters but I wanted more.

Sure we can celebrate an elite 8, but ending the same season with 14 losses... isn't something we should celebrate at UT.

We should consistently be in the final four and if we aren't then we're accepting less than we deserve. Accepting mediocrity is the worst thing we can do in honoring the memory and hard work Pat put into making Tennessee the pinnacle of women's basketball.

We should consistently be in the final four and if we aren't then we're accepting less than we deserve. Accepting mediocrity is the worst thing we can do in honoring the memory and hard work Pat put into making Tennessee the pinnacle of women's basketball.

It's the deserve part where I have the disconnect. That is the attitude of someone, who has practically zero invested in their success, who needs someone to provide a competitive outlet on their behalf. I'm sure your Phd studies taught you about that.

Fans, like you and me, have enjoyed many years of the lady vols dominating their sport. Life goes in cycles and right now, the team is in a down cycle from where they were a few years ago. Just because we are fans does not give us any special entitlement other than to continue to be a fan or not. That is our choice. If we had the ability to do more, it would be a different situation.

Some call it settling but that implies that we have some control over the team which we do not. We can stop donations, stop going to games, and write scathingly hard posts but, in the end, I fail to see what that accomplishes other than to make us and those around us just as frustrated. It only makes fans of other teams feel good. That is why they come here to relish in the anguish but don't be fooled, they love seeing lady vol fans punish the team. Some stir the pot for their own entertainment when there is a lull in the frustration.

I'm confident the team will get things turned around once they can get some more players. No matter whether one believes it is coaching, effort or something else, the team has to figure that part of it out.

Reactions: 3 people
Volstylrxx to your point no win or loss by the Lady Vols or any team I may follow is effected by what I do to "earn them a win." Without doing more that responding to your words - are you satisfied to have a PhD from UT, why not an elite school like Stanford, or Duke,

And I write this as someone who was a fan from year two of PHS leadership and attended four Final Fours, SEC championships etc. The LVs have had a perfect storm injuries and distractions that have significantly impacted the last hurdle. One example had not Izxy gotten injured ilate in her senior year - the team that went to the Final eight without her had a great chance of going further.

The LVs gambled on recruiting in 2015 and focused on the very best of players and got to the finals with them all but Nada. 2016 they gambled on recruiting the best and got the best. In 2017 the LV are again recruiting the best.

Go LV none of you are failures

Volstylrxx to your point no win or loss by the Lady Vols or any team I may follow is effected by what I do to "earn them a win." Without doing more that responding to your words - are you satisfied to have a PhD from UT, why not an elite school like Stanford, or Duke,

And I write this as someone who was a fan from year two of PHS leadership and attended four Final Fours, SEC championships etc. The LVs have had a perfect storm injuries and distractions that have significantly impacted the last hurdle. One example had not Izxy gotten injured ilate in her senior year - the team that went to the Final eight without her had a great chance of going further.

The LVs gambled on recruiting in 2015 and focused on the very best of players and got to the finals with them all but Nada. 2016 they gambled on recruiting the best and got the best. In 2017 the LV are again recruiting the best.

Go LV none of you are failures

No one called any lady vols a failure. The failure is on the coach. Accepting mediocrity will only continue to lead to further decline in the program. UT administration needs to wake up before its too late - or we will become the next La Tech

It's the deserve part where I have the disconnect. That is the attitude of someone, who has practically zero invested in their success, who needs someone to provide a competitive outlet on their behalf. I'm sure your Phd studies taught you about that.

Fans, like you and me, have enjoyed many years of the lady vols dominating their sport. Life goes in cycles and right now, the team is in a down cycle from where they were a few years ago. Just because we are fans does not give us any special entitlement other than to continue to be a fan or not. That is our choice. If we had the ability to do more, it would be a different situation.

Some call it settling but that implies that we have some control over the team which we do not. We can stop donations, stop going to games, and write scathingly hard posts but, in the end, I fail to see what that accomplishes other than to make us and those around us just as frustrated. It only makes fans of other teams feel good. That is why they come here to relish in the anguish but don't be fooled, they love seeing lady vol fans punish the team. Some stir the pot for their own entertainment when there is a lull in the frustration.

I'm confident the team will get things turned around once they can get some more players. No matter whether one believes it is coaching, effort or something else, the team has to figure that part of it out.

It does go in a cycle - but that cycle has never, in the history of our program, had the downs that we have experienced under Warlick.

TN is currently 37-21 over the last two years - only winning 56.7% of our games.

That's indicative of far greater concerns that must be addressed.

I'm not accepting going the Elite8 but don't compare us to these others schools who went downhill Bc they couldn't even compete with anybody. We are one step away. I know we have had not so good seasons so but we have had a lot of injuries as well. Especially with Isabelle Harrison a few years ago.

I'm not accepting going the Elite8 but don't compare us to these others schools who went downhill Bc they couldn't even compete with anybody. We are one step away. I know we have had not so good seasons so but we have had a lot of injuries as well. Especially with Isabelle Harrison a few years ago.

You're right. Today we took one more step towards irrelevance.

So sad watching Holly kill this program.

I've reached plenty of milestones. Earned a Ph.D at UT. I could've been satisfied and celebrated earning a bachelors and masters but I wanted more.

Sure we can celebrate an elite 8, but ending the same season with 14 losses... isn't something we should celebrate at UT.

Please define consistancy for me. Other than uconn name another school consistently in ff or even the ee?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back