Open Practices

T.J.

This is a serious question.

Are there open practices to watch Holly and the Lady Vols in action?

And if so may a person attend unannounced so Holly doesn't know she's being observed?

I think this might help in seeing exactly what is happening as Holly states practices are going good but when game time comes we lose 8 games. Just sayin and asking.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a serious question.

Are there open practices to watch Holly and the Lady Vols in action?

And if so may a person attend unannounced so Holly doesn't know she's being observed?

I think this might help in seeing exactly what is happening as Holly states practices are going good but when game time comes we lose 8 games. Just sayin and asking.

Thanks in advance.

They were open often under Pat Summit's tenure and I attended them when I was in Knoxville during the season.Since,Holly has been Coach ,I can not recall a practice being open to the public ....there probably have been some but were not publicized.

Was it not part of the one Tennessee initiative a few years ago that practices across most if not all sports were closed to the public?

They were open often under Pat Summit's tenure and I attended them when I was in Knoxville during the season.Since,Holly has been Coach ,I can not recall a practice being open to the public ....there probably have been some but were not publicized.

Thank you.

TJ, they're not gonna let you anywhere close to Holly...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

LOL no one has to worry about me going to any open practices. Holly shakes me to my very core when I see her on the sidelines. Just standing there looking lost with her hands on her hips. :blink: Or when she stomps her feet. :banghead2: Or when she brushes her hair aside. :glare: Or when she puts one finger to her mouth while she's kneeling and looking perturbed.:question:

I don't remember. I, like Alexvol, went to a few practices but it all changed once Hart was hired. Open practices were held at TBA. Closed practices were held in the practice facility. It was mostly older fans and a few school groups at the practices at TBA
. Maybe Hart was trying to make us like Alabama.

I think they closed off practices once the team moved to pratt pavilion to practice. I used to go a lot with my grandfather and remember one time where coach summitt was "motivating" a player named dominque redding, if anyone remembers her. Those were good times, however i dont think a holly warlick practice would nearly be as entertaining.

I think they closed off practices once the team moved to pratt pavilion to practice. I used to go a lot with my grandfather and remember one time where coach summitt was "motivating" a player named dominque redding, if anyone remembers her. Those were good times, however i dont think a holly warlick practice would nearly be as entertaining.

Yea, I remember Redding. She was in the same class as Spencer and rated higher coming out of hs. I had high hopes for her but she never lived up to those expectations.

Yea, I remember Redding. She was in the same class as Spencer and rated higher coming out of hs. I had high hopes for her but she never lived up to those expectations.

This is correct and i think she was a mcdonalds all american as well. Def a player who underachieved while at Tennessee

Does anyone know why? Just curious if it was due to security concerns or something else.

Security and staffing concerns were the primary reasons.

There was a change in fire and security regulations that requires certain levels of staffing if you invite the public to an open facility in an arena the size of Thompson-Boling. If the practices were open, UT would have had to start staffing them at a significant cost.

Pratt Pavilion was not constructed with areas for public viewing, so practices in there could not have been opened to the public.

School groups and teams regularly visit practices as invited guests.

Reactions: 2 people

There was a change in fire and security regulations that requires certain levels of staffing if you invite the public to an open facility in an arena the size of Thompson-Boling. If the practices were open, UT would have had to start staffing them at a significant cost.

Pratt Pavilion was not constructed with areas for public viewing, so practices in there could not have been opened to the public.

Oh how convenient for Holly. LOL just kidding.
Thank you for the reply.

Was it not part of the one Tennessee initiative a few years ago that practices across most if not all sports were closed to the public?

Can you imagine the kind of crap that would start if you allowed us to go to Holly's practices? OMG!!! You think we are coach coaches now, we would have to open VolNation2 entitled, "Second Guessing Coach Holly's Practices".

Last edited:

Thanks for the information! Makes sense.

She did well in the WNBA, I believe she played for Van Chancellor and the Houston Comets before the franchise folded. She must have learned something from Pat, she may still be playing.

She did well in the WNBA, I believe she played for Van Chancellor and the Houston Comets before the franchise folded. She must have learned something from Pat, she may still be playing.

Last I heard Dom was coaching in the Nashville area.

You might be mixing her up with someone else. Maybe Michelle Snow, who had a long WNBA career and played for the Comets. Dominique Redding never played in the WNBA.

Redding is a perfect cautionary tale for those expecting the freshmen to be stars from the moment they step on campus. Wonderfully athletic player who struggled to adjust to the college game, and unfortunately never did reach her expected potential.

You might be mixing her up with someone else. Maybe Michelle Snow, who had a long WNBA career and played for the Comets. Dominique Redding never played in the WNBA.

Redding is a perfect cautionary tale for those expecting the freshmen to be stars from the moment they step on campus. Wonderfully athletic player who struggled to adjust to the college game, and unfortunately never did reach her expected potential.

Redding wasn't a leader and lacked competitive fire. She wasn't a hard worker. From watching the incoming freshmen, all are hard workers and leaders.

Redding wasn't a leader and lacked competitive fire. She wasn't a hard worker. From watching the incoming freshmen, all are hard workers and leaders.

I have a hard time believing that the Tennessee staff recruiting Dominique looked at her in HS and assessed that she wasn't a hard worker, not a leader, lacked competitive fire but recruited her anyway. Chances are she just never was able to adjust to the college game.

Everyone is putting way too much expectations on these incoming freshmen, and I suspect that many people will be disappointed when they show up and actually play like freshmen

VN Store

Back